I-84 Danbury/NY border | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I-84 Danbury/NY border

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Entropy, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Actually in CT now you can cancel plates online but that's just the registration. You need to provide the local tax office with a copy....and more towns are asking for more proof that you don't own the car (or re-registered it in Montana)

Agree on the point about "where the car lives". The loophole the tax assessors are looking to close is on people who keep their cars local year round. If you can show proof of alternate state registry/residence that usually fixes it. The people they are after are people who are using out of state registration to avoid property taxes. I kept all of our cars on CA tags (cheaper than CT) until they literally told me they were going to get a unilateral tax judgment since our cars lived in CT for 3 years. (My EZPass records and plate cameras and traffic/parking tickets sort of did me in)

2. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's because your a bada**. Proud to call you a friend lol.

3. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    My friend loans me his TT G35 on occasion. I got pulled for having 1 rear plate in texas. They pulled me an realized it is an oklahoma car(which requires one plate) let me off with a warning. We are in north texas an he commutes home on the weekends. A PITA for sure.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    yes, automated plate reader...I was parked at passenger pick up at Bradley, he just gave someone else a ticket and was driving slow next to the cars. I'd say it took no more than 5 seconds for the camera to scan the plate, search the database and flag him to stop me.

5. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    A little off-topic, but as someone who lives in a single-plate state, I am curious what the benefits are of requiring front plates.

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Flat area target for laser speed detection and used to record plate for e-z pass and red light camera detection.

7. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Luckily we have a front plate solution for almost every Ferrari 1948 to present! If you want the heat off your back, don’t like holes or a permanent fix then our NO-Drill License Plate Mount should be an option. Mounts on and off easily in 5 seconds, yet still mounts the plate securely to the car.

Thanks Vito.

For more information and online ordering please visit
    Carbonio Performance - License Plate Mounts

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    What is coupon code for? Do we get an Fchat member discount?

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    A warning for what? Driving a car that was perfectly legal in the state where it is registered? How does that work? Even a verbal warning would have been ridiculous.

10. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    In NY front plates have been required long before any of these technologies were invented. Maybe they just want to see who's coming as well as going...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The question was why the front plate not how long has a state had this law.

12. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    Didn't you note the benefits of a front plate? All I was saying was that we had front plates decades before the technology allowing all 3 of thos benefits were invented and therefore none could be the reason for a front plate.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Income generators for the State's coffers by using the police (and other systems) as tax collectors. Example, automated scanning can identify a vehicle that has an expired registration.

Monetizing existing laws and requirements is the bonus here.

Also, for law enforcement, a vehicle may have been associated with some criminal activity or it's owner may have a warrant for their arrest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition

And of course, Big Brother is tracking activities. ;)

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looking further, other uses? Whatever you can think of (these from Wikipedia):

ANPR systems may also be used for/by:
    • Section control, to measure average vehicle speed over longer distances.
    • Border crossings
    • Automobile repossessions
    • Petrol stations to log when a motorist drives away without paying for their fuel.
    • A marketing tool to log patterns of use
    • Targeted advertising, a-la "Minority Report"-style billboards.
    • Traffic management systems, which determine traffic flow using the time it takes vehicles to pass two ANPR sites
    • Analyses of travel behaviour (route choice, origin-destination etc.) for transport planning purposes
    • Drive Through Customer Recognition, to automatically recognize customers based on their license plate and offer them the items they ordered the last time they used the service.
    • To assist visitor management systems in recognizing guest vehicles.
    • Police and Auxiliary Police
    • Car parking companies
    • Hotels