I-84 Danbury/NY border | FerrariChat

I-84 Danbury/NY border

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Entropy, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I did an FF rally with the Miller folks this morning, afterwards had to head over and pick up my daughter

Had a chance to get pulled over by a CT State Police sergeant....my laser shifter picked him up and worked flawlessly, but he did pull me over for having no front plate ($117 ticket)

Consistent with my experience with CT and NY State police, he was a total pro throughout

A few things from our brief roadside chat

1) CT is increasing the use of Laser
    2) therefore, they are using it as a chance to help people correct their lack of front plates (which, as he stated, is their primary target)
    3) they are enforcing heavily on interstates (I-84, 95, et al) around interchanges

he was a good sport, claimed he knew I was doing 85+ but could not get a lock on.
    He was right.

2. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    I wonder if the "no front plates" was just a next best option for the cop? I drive on 684, 84 and thruway all the time with no front plates. If they are indeed cracking down the this is useful tip for my planned drive to watch the Porsche Club CVR club race in April.

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I think it was. I was hauling, and he and I both knew it. IF I had been doing 70, I'd imagine he would have let me cruise by. I also think he was frustrated that his laser would not lock on....my 9500ci seemed to work as advertised (I get VERY few laser warnings, this might have been my first "real" one)

4. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I just installed the Carbonio front plate bracket on my '08 599 and it seems to be working fine. It is adjustable in so many different ways and is solid. Most importantly, it removes and reattaches literally in seconds with no damage to the grill.

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I use a laser gun at work (not police) and it is really difficult to get a lock on a car without a plate.

6. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just tell the officer that, as you're sure he already knows, Ferrari owners are superior to other people and should not be subject to the same laws. Whatever happens next, regardless of outcome, will make for a great story.

I (knock on wood) haven't been hassled in the Ferrari for a lack of front plate, but I did get snagged entering the Midtown tunnel on Valentine's Day in the Lambo. He must have either not had a valentine go to home to, or had one waiting at home while he was busy working :)

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    As more states go to an E-Z pass type system and start eliminating toll collectors you will see more stops for no front plate. Also with more cars with front collision radar you will see more false triggers on your detectors. As for the rt 684 or rt 84 speeds the troopers usually give you 6 mph over the limit before they stop you. Not having the front plate just gives them an easy stop and quick revenue for the state and towns. Multiple tickets will get you double and triple the fines. Good luck

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have 4 cars, none have front plates and never will. I'll pay the tickets but it's less here - last time I got one several years ago it was $25.

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Those days are over. $25 won't even cover court costs in most towns so get ready to pay between $100 -$200 per ticket. Second and 3rd offence gets you maybe double. The other problem is that it give the LEO the chance to pull you over. That affects your time and leaves you open to other inspections. In the old days they would pull you over and get out of the car but today they sit and run your plates and get all your data before getting out . So a stop usually takes anywhere between 5-10 minutes . So if you just had a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers well , good luck.

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks for posting.

I don't have the front bracket anymore , I gave it away with the Cali. I need to get another one since I am often cruising up & down 684 and I some how do attract tickets.

11. cmlf1

cmlf1 Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    I got hit with 110 dollar fine plus the "surcharges" in Freeport LI last year with no front plate.

12. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    Wonder if states can enforce the front-plate rule for cars that are registered in others? I.e. can CT issue a ticket for a NJ-registered car with no front plate?

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My cars are registered in Florida, a state with only one plate. I've never been stopped outside of Florida, but I have had many numerous officers make u turns to come after me, only to discover the Florida plate. They just peel off and go around. New York can't ticket a Florida car for no front plate.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Same here.

15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    BUT if they find out your haven't transferred registration since the car is now in NY after the required timeframe you'll have another problem. The local cops will tend to remember cars and drivers. In my NJ town they casually end up talking to me at a Starbucks- the modern donut shop for cops.

16. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    There was a thread somewhere in another section, but the "other" crackdown especially in CT is the out-of-state plate, and in particular, the Montana LLC tactic.

There are so many plate readers and the property tax departments are tracking high value assets that are not registered (but, apparently, should be). In CT you have 30 days to register and get a license, if you legit live out of state they will ask for evidence that you live/work there, etc.

It's been a growing reality in my town and the neighboring towns - the cameras at the Henry Hudson Bridge for example sort of prove what plate went through.....and if your out of state plate gets triggered frequently enough, it's flagged. It's not a DMV issue, it's a local tax authority issue. Another example - when I sell or trade a "nice" car, our town will not accept the plate surrender; they now want the actual transaction information to show who the "new" owner is....they overtly say they are trying to prevent people from simply re-registering their Ferrari/McLaren/et al in Montana but keep it and drive it around Greenwich.

17. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a Florida residence. It's not an issue.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    We are not talking about tax doges. FL for example charges sales tax.
    Additionaly you can buy your car in and pay sales tax in the state you live say NY CT or NJ, then register where you have a residence elsewhere.

Or if you buy and register in say FL then pay the tax there.

If somoene lives in say greenwich and buys a car in CT, they will need to pay Ct sales tax, however they are free to register the car where they have another residence, and there is not double taxation if tax already paid in one sate.

Lastly exotics are not used year round through winter. So cops are right to assume your exotic spends the winter in say FL.

I see plenty of pedestrian cars with Fl plates all summer long in the NE, these are snowbirds cars.

19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly. It's only recently that a car bought in NY and titled in Fla has had NY sales tax collected on it. As little as 5-10 years ago a car bought in NY and titled in Fla would pay Fla sales tax, which is 6% vs. 8.625%. On exotics that could be a decent amount, but I guess NY got wise and now the tax is collected wherever the purchase is done.

20. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    speaking of plates...I was just busted in my DD for a registration being 5 days expired. I never got a mailing that I saw to renew so that's annoying...but admit the cop was cool, he could have forced me to have it towed and didn't...but got the $117 ticket. Lucky he didn't notice I had no front plate too!!!

21. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm referring to property taxes, which in CT are assessed locally. Vehicle info to assess property tax is provided by the DMV. I also agree there are tons of out of state plates around, what I'm saying is out of state registered exotics seem to be getting scrutiny

I agree sales tax is applied where you buy through a dealer. If you buy a car from NJ and register in CT, the DMV hits you up for sales tax

22. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Did they use a plate reader to flag you? My wife had same thing occur, local cop, he told her his plate reader triggered else he would not have known to stop her

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Property taxes in ct would depend on where a car spends the majority of its time. If you have a Fl registered car which is on the road in ct for more than 6 months in Ct that could be an issue if you are a CT resident.
    Othe r factors would be what other cars you have(dailys) registerted in ct.

24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Happened to me last week. He was behind me for 5-10 minutes before the lights came on.
    He was very cool, laughed when I said the renewal was probably buried on my desk and asked could I take care of it that day. When I assured him that I would he said he was "sticking his neck out" but there was no ticket. (I honestly did not know it was expired)

As for turning in plates here that's done at an MVC office and there are no questions about new owners or why you don't need the plate any more.
    Seems to me that questions about the new owner are over-stepping their authority.

25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I've gotten a front plate ticket before and I still refuse to install one even though I have the bracket that goes on the tow hook outlet.