Hypothetical rebody to make LWB spyder | FerrariChat

Hypothetical rebody to make LWB spyder

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Horsefly, Mar 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Because a 250 LWB California spyder is a million dollar car, and essentially unobtainable, let's hypothetically consider an alternative. If one had a fiberglass body of the LWB spyder and wanted to install it on a cast off Ferrari frame, would a 250 GTE frame be suitable? I believe the wheelbase is the same (102 inches). As always, not being a textbook expert on the various nuances between the LWB spyder and other models, what frame was the LWB spyder based upon? And would the 250 GTE frame be a suitable foundation for a home brew LWB spyder hot rod? I guess the first step would be visually observing the differences between the LWB spyder frame and a 250 GTE frame. I believe that the firewall is considered to be part of the frame on the old cars. And conveniently the serial number tag is attached to the firewall which would maintain the necessary numbers for registration and titleing purposes. Of course the obvious reason for choosing a 250 GTE frame is because they seem to pop up from time to time. And minor reworking and rewelding of firewall and frame members would not be a big problem. At least then, the car would technically and legally BE a Ferrari. The kit car chassis route does not appeal to me.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I dont have a problem w it but the purists will scream

My dream is building a 57 pontoon replica on a 550 chasis/drivetrain :)

3. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Send it here, I've nearly finished the Mondial Z
    ;)

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I think this type of thing has been done before. I don't have a problem with it at all as long as it's not misrepresented.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. I'd enjoy seeing picts of the transformation

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    GT/E frame (508 E) is a little different from 508C and D, the engine has been moved forward, remember? On GT/E the firewall is just a set of two sandwiched alloy sheets welded and riveted together with insulation in between, which has been inserted into the body, so definitely not part of the chassis. Chassis plate is not attached to the firewall, it is attached to the steel bridge (cowl?) between firewall and windscreen. Best wishes, Kare

PS: maybe we should get a sector of their own for replicas. I'm getting sich and tired of the replica threads and people who bring replicas up frequently largely because they know the whole thing will irritate the **** out of the purists. IMO vintage section should be about real vintage Ferraris.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Kare:
    I absolutely totally agree!
    Marcel Massini

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Kare, we've made the decision to allow discussion of replicas based on actual Ferrari chassis. The debate over the right of an owner to do as he/she pleases with thier own car (even if that means butchering) is a legitimate one, regardless of which side of the discussion you and I might fall on.

If you are unable to remain calm while reading these discussions, I suggest that you skip the "replica" threads entirely. You might also try skipping any thread started by the user "Horsefly," as his intention is usually to stir the pot and create heated discussion on controversial topics.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    My questions concerning frame types were based on the possibility of utilizing a REAL Ferrari frame to create what would become a rebodied car. Of course since my name is Horsefly and not Lord Snobbo, then naturally the noses must be upturned toward my idea. And in virtually every state of America, if a car utilizes an original frame with original serial numbers, it is therefore required to be licensed as THAT type of car. Law enforcement officials seek out frame number stampings when the question of automotive identity is questioned. As for a section for replicas, I suggested this a LONG time ago and was of course ignored. Now because somebody besides Horsefly is tired of hearing about replicas, then suddenly a section for replicas is a great idea. (Rolling eyes yet again because of the constant snobby double standards.)

Back to the rebody question at hand. I was e-mailed some photos by another F-chatter of the CalSpyder cars that are currently being produced in Arizona. They utilize their own frame, therefore they are NOT a Ferrari. But if one mounts a CalSpyder body on a vintage Ferrari frame and powers it with a Ferrari engine, what do you have?????? In my state, you have a Ferrari because the frame is an original. But once again, because I am Horsefly and not Nembo, Drogo, Lord Snobbo, or a millionaire rock star, my creation would be looked down upon. But of course I expected that.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A properly made replica is neat. Frazer Nash itself made Frazer Nash TT replicas that were the height of such an experiment. Using original Ferrari parts, along with proper materials and construction methods, can result in a good replica. A Ferrari frame with a fiberglass body, however, wouldn't be so neat.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    But a fiberglass bodied Ferrari race car is good? And a fiberglass bodied 308GTB is good?

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It is not about remaining calm. I just think that the discussion is largely pointless and scare many interesting people away. Most people taking part into the replica discussion do not undestand the basics, that's why there really isn't - and hardly will ever be - any point. Neither do I have a problem with the Horsefly character; many of his points are valid and I trust his judgement to certain point. There are many other people I would rather put into my killfile, if there was one.

I don't see a way to avoid stumbling on the replica discussion. Maybe I also want to take apart to certain extent to defend the tatty old coupes and to take an occasional blow at the people who claim it is "pretty okay" to convert these car into something more fun. Hell it ain't.

Whenever a GT/E or a PF Coupe is discussed, somebody wants to chop the roof off or turn it into something it isn't. I don't have a problem with that - or the fact that 99% of people are small minded morons leading miserable lives (including myself), it just makes me sad when it is pointed out so clearly.

Best wishes, Kare

12. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    So you don't consider composites a proper production method for old-old cars, I can accept that. I assume that you would consider it a proper production method for newer cars where that was the method used by Ferrari, e.g., for the GRP bodied 308s 30 years ago. I guess you just forgot to say that in your post.

13. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud

Somebody's already done it, at least with the engine (real 250 V-12 in a CalSpyder body). Don't have the link off hand, but unfortunately the car still LOOKED like a calspyder. . .

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Right. Thank you for clarifying.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Please be specific. I'm curious. What looked so bad about the car? Were the dimensions off? Trim wrong? Exactly what?

16. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    all been done but you have to chop up a pf coupe

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Who says to chop up anything? Utilize a frame that is left over after a wreck from 30 years ago. What else is such a frame going to be used for. A wall ornament?

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    There is. It is call ignore user. Simply click on their user name and you will have an option to 'View Public Profile', click on that and their profile will appear. On the left hand side, usually under their pictures you will see 'Add xxxxxx to Your Ignore List' if you click on that you will no longer see the contents of that persons post - albeit you will know they have posted.

Credit for the procedure to 400spyder.
    BT