"Hypermiling Prius" rant | FerrariChat

"Hypermiling Prius" rant

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bizz, Jul 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I don't care to debate the benefits or costs of hypermiling, you know it's the fashionable and trendy thing to do these days. Drive a prius or some other eco-friendly car 20,000 miles a year? Fine, if that works for you. Have 20,000 miles of driving you must do, and you have a concern for the expense of driving those miles? Okay, sure, give hypermiling a try. It may work, who knows?!

What I know is this. If you are going 24 miles an hour in a 35 mile an hour zone and you refuse to leave the left lane I am going to downshift my car and drive in 2nd gear with Tubi's roaring for half a mile to counteract any carbon credits you've purchased. I don't care.

I'm not happy about it, but you leave me no choice. Stay off the highway. Take the train. Stay safe. But mostly, STAY OUT OF THE PASSING LANE you hyper-rude people! Some of us have things to do. Maybe you don't. That's okay, I'm okay, you're okay. Stay out of the left lane. That's all I ask.

okay, rant over. I feel much better now, thanks.

Question: Is it just me, or do Priuses have a higher than normal case of having a caved in front or rear bumper? What's up with that?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When I drive my wife's Camry hybrid, I can't resist trying to keep it in electric mode as long as possible-- sorry, it's part of the fun of driving it (what fun there is, anyway).

So please, do go ahead and blast by me!

4. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    #4 Grumpy B, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe but I think there is something off about Prius drivers anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

can you say, SAM?

6. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Americans in general don't understand the keep right except to pass principle - and yes, the hybrids seem to be staying in the left lane, at least in my experience, to try and slow down all of traffic.

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

That may be something you notice in Cali. Here, everyone over 60 is a slow left lane creeper. And those people comprise 98% of the pop!

RMX

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
  9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LMAO!

I have noticed a lot of Prius' do have some sort of crease or dent in their bumpers. Very strange.

I actually love when I get passed by a Prius. I always laugh and say, finally one Prius owner that knows how to drive. LOL.

10. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    As long as you stay out of the left lane while doing it, more power to you!

11. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    it's not about Hybrids- I love any kind of new technology in a car. My *****andmoan session is about the people driving 10 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane. They seem to be intent on slowing down traffic for selfish purposes.

Technology is great- it helps everyone and Hybrid technology (this could be debated) should help the environment. I'm just doing my part to counteract the smugmobiles who wish to impede traffic.

12. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    This frustrates me to the point of going postal. This weekend, as every time out on any given interstate in the States, I continually encountered the left lane (of a three lane highway) clogged and the right lane wide open for up to a mile. WTF is that? I will leave it at that, I'm getting fired up thinking about the sh%t I see on the highways - and I'm only talking about flow and passing etiquette.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Usually it's even slower than 10mph.

Last week I past by someone who all the sudden just slowed down (not in the left lane, but a lane over from the far right lane) and I looked down because I felt like I flew by them. I was only doing 60mph!!! That meant they had to be doing 35 or 40 ON THE FREEWAY! And it was a newer Monte Carlo with some stupid 24's on it or something.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    In our county we have leased [don't know] many Prius' for small, short, in-town [generally < 40MPH ] work: Makes perfect sense especially in Santa Rosa's 'spare the air' days.

It would be nice to see the POstal trucks, and small delivery vehicles, busses, and Taxis do the same....

matter of fact I wish they'd do away with those stupid two-stroke gas blowers etc. ... my weekends are filled with excess noise and the 'operators' with their iPods on haven't a clue what they are doing.

moving on

15. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe &amp; USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    #15 DaudiW., Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Bizz,

I share your frustration. . . I was just down in FL for the weekend and i seem to have bad luck, or the car has bad luck.. When I was driving my wife's A5 i was given every opportunity to drive at "my routine" pace, which is quicker than the average american driver.
    When I took the GT2 out of a few occations, I never had such chances but rather, got surrounded by idiots who drive hybrids (all over Boca Raton btw, whether its a Lexes, or something else..) I think they are biased against "non-economical" vehicles and just switch when one is behind or around them. I almost got into an accident because one hyprid driver (some american hybrid chrysler) decided to brake for a green light.... What i noticed was that the person would slow down for green lights, but speed up or maintain pace, for red ones, which inturn caused him/her to abruptly brake..very irritating.. Then, there was a traffic jam on i95 and to cut a long story short, it was caused by nosey drivers who were busy watching the scene of 5 cops pulling over some Haitian looking man in a pick-up.... (drug related, probably.. but who cares? get on with your business...) Like you said, some of us actually have things to do. . . So the highest speed i reached in the GT2 this past weekend is most likely no more than 85mph... You tell that to a hybrid driver, they will say that is too fast and not economical.

But its not just hybrid drivers... Ingeneral American drivers have the worst judgement and in most cases do stupid things for no apparent reason (or no logical reason.)

16. buggravy

buggravy Karting

Jul 29, 2004
    Encino, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Isn't the left lane the carpool/LEV lane?

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I have found bad drivers all over the world, in every clime and place. Some places the offense is driving too slow for conditions, usually it is the opposite. Saying "Ingeneral American drivers have the worst judgement" is as ridiculous as saying "In general, people outside of America stink and need to bathe more often or wear less cologne". If America has any problem with drivers that is worse than the rest of the world, it is most likely comes out of our greatest strength, that being the Melting Pot that brings folks together from across the country and around the world, and deposits their local driving customs and traditions upon a common roadway.

18. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Only for that strange lot of you in SoCal. ;)

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    That would be true if you only look at the use eco-cycle however the resources used in manufacture and disposal are part of the bigger eco-cycle and these things are a disgrace - so no they do not make perfect sense

20. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    This comment:

What a misleading article - it is even sneering socially responsible people too. They are very quiet and reduce noise pollution too, a point which many conveniently forget. Compare to the racket of a diesel engine.

I bought a Prius because it is: literally superb to drive, silent most of the time, seamless in progression with no gear steps as there is no in-line gear shifting, only a power sharing mechanism in parallel between the two motors which is not the same thing as conventional in-line gearboxes, economical to run in fuel, economical to service, no London congestion charge, great longevity (topped the JD Power surveys in the US and the UK) and big inside too. When I get into other cars it is like a flashback in time as they are so outdated inside. The Prius also looks funky too.

Look at the city mpg figures for the Prius. As most are driven in cities
    this is where they score highly in mpg and emissions - and they are impressive. Mine returns approx' 50-55 mpg around London.

The Prius is light years ahead of any agricultural like manual transmission diesel car - light years ahead in every respect. And they are getting better as
    battery technology improves and a few plug-in/petrol versions may be on the market too.

No contest, Prius collectively wins hands down on all others as it is, and newer models in the next few years will push them further ahead. Some car magazines pander to the manufacturers who advertise in their rags. These makers tend to be behind in hybrid technology and products.

The hybrids are the current benchmark that others have to equal if not better. The best is yet to come and it will be sooner than later.
    Posted by Craig on July 4, 2007 10:57 AM

Wow.

21. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Agreed, at least up Interstate 70 to the mountians just outside of Denver, I have never had a problem with hybrids (prius or otherwise) clogging the fast lane, that distinction seems to be reserved for the large SUV/Suburu Outback and the minivan crew. If you are getting passed on the right by everyone, you might think about moving over. If they do not get it, then the 8,000 rpm Tubi salute seems like a fair response.

22. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I'm not a Ferrari owner, just have always loved them, so I hope you-all don't mind me posting here. I just came across your thread and it made me laugh. I only first heard the word "hypermiling" a week ago, so I guess I'm not up on what it means to be cool and ecofriendly. For some reason every time I see a Prius it makes my skin crawl. Is it just me or do Prius drivers all drive EXTREMELY slow?

23. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Is your car equipped with a horn? If the Prius owner wants to test your patience, you can test his.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have my own version of that rant. But, it combines two of my pet peeves: Hybrid cars and CAR POOL LANES.

OK. I drive to work and I'm stuck in traffic on the freeway. The bloody car pool lane is filled with Hybrids going 60 MPH (one after another) while a string of us just creep along. As proof (and I kid you not) a week ago I saw three Prius' involved in the same fender bender in the car pool lane. One Prius hit another which hit a third.

So, while we all sit there or accelerate in first only to stop to go back to first again etc, etc, how much fuel is WASTED by the rest of us stuck because we can't use the excess capacity of that lane? If there are 4 lanes total, that means that 25% of the total capacity of the road is unusable to 98% of the drivers on it. Does that make any sense? So, why do carpool lanes exist? It's simple. It's our government trying to change our lifestyle, whether it makes any sense or not.

Now, when a Prius is going 60 MPH, it's burning fuel at a rate not significantly different than most economy cars (which are stuck in traffic) but STILL only carry one passenger to their destination. And, at highway speeds, it's carrying around a load of batteries as dead weight (not to mention the electric motor, electronics, wiring, etc) that most cars don't have to. So, theoretically, a Hybrid should be worse at highway speeds than another economy car without that load to carry.

I'm not against Hybrid cars or saving fuel in the daily grind. But, the idea that somehow Hybrids HELP out to reduce our dependency on fossil fuels and therefore should get special tax breaks or treatment is just an urban myth that needs to be squashed.

I wish I felt better. Can't science and logic win over government beauracracies just once?

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The cops dont ever issue tickets for going too slow.
    I dont think its viable to persue in court. That needs to change.
    America was built on productivity, there are actually people out there with things to do and places to go.
    My pet pieve is the cops shutting down more lanes than needed to clear an accident. Think of the lost productivity in the traffic stack ups.
    Really.