HVAC Fan Regulator on 456GTA | FerrariChat

HVAC Fan Regulator on 456GTA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by skl63, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Can anyone help me with the exact location of this part. I believe it is on the RHS of the centre console, near the drivers knee (on RHD car).

Any clues on how to remove the trim panels here, and how to access the part for replacement as everything is well hidden.

Thanks

2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I believe it is very similar if not identical to the 550. Here are two photos from a 550, one with the evaporator out of the car, the other in the car but the dashboard is out. I replaced the regulator once with the evaporator in the car, it was a real pain to access, especially the top screw which is directly behind the rigid coolant pipes into the expansion valve. I was able to do it with only the glovebox removed.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So this probably means the instrument binnacle has to come out on a RHD car ... and maybe the pedal box o_O

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hard to say without seeing it, but since the steering column is below the binnacle, I don't think the binnacle will have to come out, maybe just the steering column covers. It might end up a bit easier on a RHD car. My biggest problem was the shape of the firewall behind the airbag, the area in my second photo that is covered with black insulation. That area was in the way and did not allow me to get a straight shot to the top screw of the regulator. On a RHD car, this area should be more open.

Qavion likes this.
  5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

i’ve done it twice (some pics and comments in the 456 HVAC threads) on my LHD 1995 456 GT and I can’t figure out how to get the upper screw out without taking the complete dash loose.

After the second time I figured out the switch wasn’t the problem but the corroded and burnt earth connection to the thermal fan switch/resistor pack. Cleaned it well and made sure the connection is as good as it gets and now AC works perfectly. (I have permanently disabled the upper servos from closing the air intake, as on mine the whole ABS unit was crumbling to bits, and those servos try to move the flaps every time the unit is powered.)

Cheers!

6. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks guys. Wow, you have me really enthused about tackling this job...

7. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I replaced the same unit on my RHD 575 a couple of years back.

The workshop manual states the whole dash needs to be removed :eek:

I didn’t need to remove any panels to find it, it’s tucked in up high to the left of the steering column in a RHD car. I’ve arrowed it’s position in one of the pics with it removed. From memory it’s held in by two screws, the bottom screw comes out fairly easily. The top proved impossible for my hands to get to, so I basically snapped the top unit off as in the pic by levering it out. Then remove the top screw that’s left behind :)

New unit will go in with a bit of a jiggle, fit bottom screw, find someone small with small hands to fit the top screw. Job done

skl63 and Qavion like this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Scott, how did you determine that the controller was at fault?

Does your car have one fuse or two for the system? (RHD vehicle assembly number 103011 and later has two fuses, one for the fan and one for the ECU, etc.

9. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That its an interesting Qn Ian. The symptoms are that the fan runs either flat-out or not at all. The thought is that the Divavia speed controller is a PWM controller and it has a transistor that fails. I had a spare faulty unit which we have cut open and my Russian electronics guru swears he has repaired it (???). So basically this is a bit of an educated guess and less expensive than the ECU. We will see.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see, so nothing as simple as a fuse. There is a relay which forces the fan to maximum speed, but the manuals don't say when it is energised.

Anyway, it sounds like you and Miro(?) have everything under control :D

11. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #11 Fennicus, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021