Hungary - Qualifying - **spoiler** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Hungary - Qualifying - **spoiler**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Aug 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    don't read much then do you ??

you'd think reading Fleet St would numb you

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I was overjoyed until I saw the part about 'appealable', it'll just be another session of "case dismissed ..... NEXT!!"

3. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Does anyone have a video (on youtube or elsewhere) of what happened in the pit lane? I'd really like to see this.

4. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    I quoted the :D you muppet ;)

Still that kind of analysis is unacceptable, and needs to be brought to peoples attention :D

interesting body language in this clip around 46 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbkTir85fWA

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I don't even know what this means but I agree!!!

LH to RD: "Go ****ing swivel."

I really have no clue what this means either, but I do not think it is good.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks for the post. Didn't recognize the language because I am a muppet (specifically Cookie Monster) :D

7. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Wow some tightly wound folks on fchat - jeez.
    I enjoy your candid remarks phil- don't let the man keep you down.

My question is why would McLaren ever unde any circumstance want Alonso to be WC over Hamilton.
    Do you know much more marketable Hamilton is- he is transcendent - more so than Schumi and far more than
    the Alonso. If they would want to sabotage anyone it should be FA. If Hamilton puts up an 8 spot today - Ferrari
    is all but mathematically eliminated.

Maybe Bernie wants RD to keep it close for viewership- payback for the Stepneyge decision

8. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H

Got some time so figured I’d elaborate.

Arse over tit = it’s all gone wrong, such as I fell off my bike, or fell downstairs and went arse over tit.

Ron can f****** swivel = I dislike you to the point where you can sit on my upstanding index finger and rotate for your own pleasure, and I would not care.

And for Phil – Muppet – a polite insult to someone who may not be paying the most attention. Or, someone who is useless until you shove your fist up them - Just like Kermit. ;) Used on friends and family most.

Hope his helps :D

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Wow! This is NOT good. Echos of Lauda-Prost but even more, Prost-Senna...

That's always the danger of "letting them race," but to hurt the WDC leader because he was under threat from Kimi if he had "let Alonso by" just because qualifying wasn't the way it was scripted, then Fred taking matters into his own hands after the team tells him to go but his physio says NO... Whew, I wouldn't want to be in that motor home tonight.

10. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    For those of us who don't have Ron on our Christmas card list, this is just TOO effing funny! :D

That's right Ron, SWIVEL!

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just watched the youtube clip...hamilton is the man. he STILL shook alonso's hand and gave him a "good on you" slap on the back. He's a real star.

nobody's mentioned the one thing that totally floors me. how perfect the timing was. Alonso held long enough to make sure LH crossed the line 2 seconds after the flag had dropped, but soon enough to make sure he got through by a couple of seconds. bloody brilliant. (forget the moral issue etc)

also....the way RD threw off his head set and ripped the head set off FA's trainer....sort of goes against RD's explanation, doesnt it?

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    "I vas juss followink orders". Where have I heard that one before?

At one point in my engineering career, my boss at FAA suggested that I change some test results data, because the big bosses wouldn't like what the test showed. He told me to do it just because I was told to. I replied that "just following orders" was discredited at Nuremburg. (Not "Nurburg", but the WWII war crimes trials.)

He went livid. In the heat of the argument, I'd forgotten who I was talking to: a former Hungarian who, as a young draftee, drove a Panzer in WWII. Touchy subject.

"Just following orders" probably wouldn't be the best excuse to try in Hungary.

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think he's a cheeky little f*ck. A fast one mind you, but he may have run a bit light today.

He's not a two time WC for nothing!

Are you implying that maybe he lied? That can't be: he's the paragon of truth and honesty - he said so himself!

(Sarcasm mode off)

Anyway, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Too bad Ferrari screwed Massa (especially not putting on a new set of heated tires after the refueled him). Just their luck, they chose the toughest circuit to pass on when they had a chance to reel in McL in the constructors' championship!

14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Decision of the Stewards of the Meet -

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61373

"During the final minutes of Qualifying, the car driven by Fernando Alonso remained in its pit stop position at the completion of his pit stop notwithstanding the fact that his team-mate Lewis Hamilton was waiting immediately behind him to commence his own pit stop. The delay prevented Hamilton from being able to complete his final flying lap of Qualifying.

The Team Principal, together with the team manager and both drivers were called before the Stewards and asked to explain their actions. Reference was made to video and audio evidence. The facts and the explanation given by the team are as follows:

At the commencement of the third period of the Qualifying practice it had been agreed within the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team ("The Team") that Fernando Alonso would leave the pit exit ahead of Lewis Hamilton in order to benefit from the possibility for purposes of fuel burn allowance of being able to complete an additional lap.

In the event, the car driven by Lewis Hamilton arrived at the pit exit before that of Fernando Alonso and when the pit lane opened he left in front of Alonso. The team required Hamilton by radio communication to allow Alonso to pass in order that he might endeavour to complete his extra lap. Because of the proximity of the Ferrari driven by Kimi Raikkonen, however, Hamilton declined to allow Alonso to pass despite repeated requests from the team to do so.

Reference to the radio communications passing between the team and its two drivers shows that the team told Hamilton at 14:56:44 to "box this lap" and required him to do a "hard in lap" but advised him some 32 seconds later to "slow the pace a little, just lose a couple of seconds before the end of the lap because Fernando is pitting in front of you".

At 14:57:34, just 18 seconds later Alonso was told that when he pitted "we are going to hold you for 20 seconds".

At 14:57:46 Alonso's car arrived at his pit stop position, his tyres were changed and the jacks removed just 6 seconds later. The car then remained in position from 14:57:52 to 14:58:12 when the signal known as the "lollipop" was raised indicating that the driver was free to leave.

By this time Hamilton's car had arrived and stopped immediately behind that of Alonso. Alonso, instead of leaving his pit in order that his team-mate Hamilton could complete his pit stop, remained in position for a further 10 seconds. He then left the pit lane in sufficient time to reach the Control Line before the end of Qualifying, completed a flying lap in which he set the fastest time and secured pole position.

Because of the delay caused by Alonso, Hamilton was unable to complete his pit stop in time sufficient to enable him also to complete a flying lap.

The team were asked to explain why having indicated to Hamilton that he must stop at his pit on the next lap, they then informed Alonso whilst he was still on the track that when he also pitted on the next lap he would be held for 20 seconds.

The team stated that they frequently give estimates as to duration of pit stop to their drivers before they pit and that the reason the car was in fact held for 20 seconds was that it was being counted down prior to release at a beneficial time regard being given to other cars on the track.

Alonso was asked why he waited for some 10 seconds before leaving the pits after being given the signal to leave. His response was that he was enquiring as to whether the correct set of tyres had been fitted to his car. When asked why this conversation did not take place during the 20 second period when his car sat stationary all work on it having been completed, it was stated that it was not possible to communicate by radio because of the countdown being given to him.

Reference to the circuit map shows that at the time Alonso was told he would be held for 20 seconds there were but 4 cars on the circuit, his own and those of Fisichella, Hamilton and Raikkonen. All but Raikkonen entered the pits such that there can have been no necessity to keep Alonso in the pits for 20 seconds waiting for a convenient gap in traffic in which to leave.

The explanation given by Alonso as to why at the expiration of the 20 second period he remained in his pit stop position for a further 10 seconds is not accepted. The Stewards find that he unnecessarily impeded another driver, Hamilton, and as a result he will be penalised by a loss of 5 grid positions.

The explanation given by the team as to why they kept Alonso stationary for 20 seconds after completion of his tyre change and therefore delayed Hamilton's own pit stop is not accepted.

The actions of the team in the final minutes of Qualifying are considered prejudicial to the interests of the competition and to the interests of motor sport generally. The penalty to be applied is that such points (if any) in the 2007 Formula One Constructors Championship as accrue to the team as a result of their participation in the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix wilt be withdrawn.

The team is reminded of its right of appeal."

15. tg123

tg123 Rookie

Jan 1, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    T G
    Lewis really needs to leave this team. Ron and Fernando are dic*s.

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i really think Alonso should start from the back of the grid. thats only fair. i really hope he won't last thru the 1st corner. where's Sato when we need him?!

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    that youtube clip someone posted, it's really professional of Hammi to at least shake hand with the whiner.

18. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    They were timing it to put Alonso's out lap in the path of Kimi's hot lap.

I wonder what (narrow) part of the track Kimi would have caught him on, if he'd left on time.

Still no mention of a penalty on formula1.com -- so this hasn't been confirmed by FIA as yet.

19. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Just ahead of Vettel ... who isn't doing any better in the STR than Speed did.

I'm more worried about Coulthard. That's not somebody you want in front of Massa. The team pooed the scrooch on that one.

20. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
  21. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Thanks for the link! So am I understanding correctly, that Alonso was held to screw Kimi's hotlap? At 4:42 of that youtube video it looks like a McL infront of Kimi going really slow.

22. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    There was also some comment on Fisichella holding up Sato and was going to be under investigation.Anyone know anything about this?

23. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did anyone honestly think he would? I know there were very casual F1 fans who unrealistically thought Vettel would smoke Liuzzi, and the rest of the back half of the field in that car. I'd tip Liuzzi to outperform Vettel the rest of this season.

24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Not Sato, but the other Jap, Yamamoto. i think he's be penalised.

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i was actually wondering if Vettel made the right choice here. from driving a razor sharp BMW, he's driving a supermarket trolley now. it'll only make him look slow. but, if he can pull what Nick did in a Jordan few years ago, then i think it's worth it.