Hungary Qualifying ***Spoiler*** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hungary Qualifying ***Spoiler***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by andrewg, Aug 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Didn't think about that...and that's a medium-speed turn 1 so it could be pretty dicey. He'll need to call on all of his experience to pull it off, but he needs to get past Trulli early in the race. Fisi will mistake himself out of the way...too much pressure for him to pull it off.

We'll learn a lot about Massa tomorrow. He has the better car between him and Kimi, so he needs to battle for the win.

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Kimi has to be very light. Perhaps Massa has 5-7 more laps of fuel on board. I've had faith in him all year, now lets see if he comes through tomorrow....I have a feeling he will.

Mark

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That was his fastest time of the weekend...he must have had another fueling accident. Massa should be able to fight for the win.

4. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Michael's best bet tomorrow lies in a clever pit strategy, not on overtaking on the track, I think. All the cars that went through to Q3 will be fuelled light and stopping early, with the possible exception of Kubica: note the closeness of their Q2 and Q3 times. So a heavy fuel load for Michael, which he can well afford and still be as fast as those just ahead, and wait for those ahead to pit. Heidfeld and Kubica might be his only obstacles on the way to a podium....

But that's just my eternally-optimistic take! :D

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    You're correct about Massa - will he be able to take Kimi off the line? Also of note is that Kimi's pole ties Alain Prost's poles with McLaren.

So . . .

Tune in tomorrow at 1400 hrs for the final episode of Days of Our Lives - Hungarian Style '06 and see who will be in the thick of the goulash and will Mr. Rain thin the pot? "til then . . . . . .

Carol

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Why does Speed continue to state MS is starting 14th? On formula1.com it shows him in 12th without Button's engine change penalty...

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Massa did his job well. If he is on a heavier fuel load, Kimi's pole does not matter. We really do not know who has the faster car, but I would bet it is the F248.

8. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar

Even in basic amateur track events that is a NO NO, not sure if you've done track events but passing on a red flag will certainly get stiff punishment

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Yeah, but Felipe's last lap was a little shaky...I really wanted to see him have his moment in the sun by getting pole and the victory tomorrow.

Since Kimi's pole lap is .3 tenths faster than his previous fastest weekend time, it's pretty clear he is running light (despite his press conference statements)

Lastly, Kimi has been within .2 tenths of Felipe's times all weekend, so a win would be very nice for Massa.

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Looks like the grid will be:

KR FM
    RB Pedro
    MW RS
    GF JT
    RK NH
    MS DC
    JB CK
    FA TM
    AL NR
    SS TS
    CA SY

This makes for great diagraming ('ala football plays).

Carol

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Because even the FIA can't figure it out.

I watched qualifying and still had to go to the formula1 web site to find out how they finished ... before they applied penalties to positions (rather than applying them to moving forward). Tune in to the web about an hour before the race tomorrow, and hope FIA has finished fiddling with the grid by then. :rolleyes:

FIA has been watching way too much "reality television":
    ("Let's trip the contestents in the obstacle course. Har har. Wot fun, eh, Bo?")

"Whack the winners". "Bowling for Gridspots". "Survivor: F1sland".

WWF1

Gah.

FIA has killed WRC, now they're killing F1. No wonder all the drivers are going to NASCAR.

And TV coverage is of NASCAR drivers playing poker.

WRC in the WC. F1 dying of random micromismanagement. SCCA ProRally dead. Track insurance off the scale. Sue the course workers.

And people wonder why ricers race on the streets?

At least we're proving that what "looks good on paper" ain't necessarily so. Wonder if anybody will learn from it.

12. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'll bet there will be a lot of passing before turn 1.

13. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Yes, which is how I know that there are circumstances where passing under red is unavoidable: I've seen it happen.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    FA penalty, one second per each of two incidents. MS penalty two seconds for one penalty.

Is there some sort of politics between the lines here?

15. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    You took the words right out of my mouth. And to answer your final question: no.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is all just stupidity on the FIA's part.

First they give Alonso this ridiculous penalty to make the championship more interesting. Then they realize it is too harsh and find a reason to penalize MS. Just stupid.

The thing that ticks me off the most with these kind of penalties is, that they're all about safety blablabla. Not that I want to see blood, but F1 has become so safe (and the drivers are paid huge amounts of risk money for their jobs), that we really don't need any dangerous driving penalties imposed on them. They already don't take much risks and rarely try to pass etc. For crying out loud, let them race!

I remember a few years ago the season started with some spectacular start accidents (Ralf, Rubens) and the FIA came down on them with telling them to harshly penalize anybody who'd do a risky move at the start. They all complied and starts became a very processional thing. Great we got safety, at the cost of entertainment, which in the end F1 is what it is all supposed to be about. If I want safety, I'd be watching trains departing the station.

Actually I should be happy, because the FIA just gave me a version of reversed grid and who knows the race might actually be even interesting with MS and Alonso trying to slice through the field. But I hate this arbitrary meddling with the rules. Hobbs said it best, when he exclaimed "2 seconds? Where did that come from?". An engine ten place penalty everybody understands and accepts, but this is idiotic. What's next? Public stoning?

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Not a nice sight to wake up to but anyway it should be fun. Hopefully Mikey and Alonso will make it thru lap 1 unscathed and scythe their way up. Good to see Rubinho up there too. This is perhaps the best opportunity for Robin er. Massa to take a win while Batman is temporarily incapacitated. ;)

18. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    There are no provision or gray areas in the FIA's technical wording of a red flag situation.

Go here: http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1929919630__2005F1SportingRegulations_a.pdf

FIA Sporting Regulations forbid any overtaken under Red. This is a generally accepted rule in most major forms of racing (most non FIA events as well). I've raced in three different US series/sanctioning bodies and the rule is the same.

19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    That's great! See you on the 26th at FoH - FYI Mosport is the following weekend.

Carol

?? wondering why Ferrari hasn't ? the penalty Michael received vs one assessed on Alonso? earlier posts on this thread make good sense about 1 sec vs 2 sec - oh well . .

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Absolutely true. This is a pretty serious violation, folks. It means he wasn't paying attention...

I don't get where people think Alonso didn't deserve his penalty. That deal was absolutely, totally and completely dangerous and childish of Alonso to do. Unprofessional and uncalled for. He's cracking... Bad!

-Peter

21. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Alright, I wasn't gonna bore everyone, but since you asked:

When race control calls a red flag, the word goes out to all the corner stations. But each station has to physically put out the flag. The time each station takes can vary. Imagine that station 8 was quick on the draw and got the flag out first. Driver A exit turn 7 see the red, slow right down. Meanwhile, station 7 takes a few seconds longer to deploy the flag. Driver B enters turn 7 at full chat, seeeing no flag. On the exit he comes upon driver A going slowly. Driver B has a choice: crash into A, dirve off the track and crash, or overtake. What's the safer thing? Add in that F1 has radio comms with the drivers. Driver A could have got the word from his pit before driver B causing a similar situation.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but does anyone think Michael saw a red flag and just decided "hey, I'll just overtake anyway?"

Rules have to be applied intelligently, and I'll wait to hear the whole story before I decide whether they were in this case. Going by recent rulings (mass dampers and vertical wings spring to mind) I don't think it's unreasonable to have some doubt.

22. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.

Your discounting the fact that in order to "blow a red flag" one must've have been present in the first place. If the spot where MS over took did not have a red flag out yet, for whatever reason you can't penalize him.

It's assumed that the red flag was shown at the station PRIOR to MS's overtaking move or the next station within the driver's sight.

Lastly, this is F1 not club racing. The minute a red flag is thrown it shows up on the zillion screens each team has in the pits. Beyond that every one is recieving instant communication from the pits. And the final margin of saftey is provided by visual representation on some teams which have diodes on the driver's steeting wheel.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5248048.stm

According to BBC Sport MS passed two cars under red flags and will be starting from 11th on the grid. He'll still have 4 cars between himself and Alonso so there's still a good chance he will be able to eat into Alonso's point lead. It is very dissapointing though man this race could have been enormous.