HSR Mitty | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HSR Mitty

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The Nissan is a very fast car, ground effects, sucks it right down. The driver looked very competent, i think it is Toby Bean's son as was suggested in a previous post. If i am not wrong, i believe last year or the year before, he was running 1.15 in the intrepid. The Nissan can go faster , i suspect the lack of a serious competitor did not give him any incentive to push any more than he had to.

2. #27 lorenzobandini, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Not meaning to be morbid, in it's nearly 50 years of being, who all has been killed at RA? I have no memory of anyone.

edit: Ergh. How could I forget. RIP Bob. :( (In a Nissan no less, speaking of which)

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    An Fchatter came damn close to dying there a few years ago...

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Lots of motorcycle racers. I was racing on three occasions when we lost a rider.

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    In the SCCA Nationals in 1989 someone died in an open-wheeled accident, and a girl died in a go kart accident around that same time period.

6. 'Sorry guys (& gals...oh no...political correctness....), 'didn't mean to stir up bad memories, 'Sorry....

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    RA in the past was really dangerous -before turn 10a & 10B... the dip and then right next to the bridge before you go down hill... that was just blind fast... terrifying actually.

I only drove that spec of the track 2 times.. both times it was spooky as you crested that blind hill on to the start finish at 80-90 in my 308... it was not worth it. risk wise.

I'm not sure the number of deaths, but there have been a few, and lots of serious accidents ending driving careers, and or track days.... it is a track that is due respect.

8. #33 lorenzobandini, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Don't forget Mark, flying the 917/10. (ala Mercs at Le Mans, 1999...yeah, yeah...the GT1 at RA too...)

"During testing of the 917-10 at Road Atlanta, Donohue had recommended larger brake ducts to the Porsche engineers, in order to provide more efficient cooling, and thus less fade and degradation as a race wears on.

The Porsche engineers obliged, but in doing so, caused the new brake ducts to interfere with the bodywork closure pins, which attach the bodywork to the car. Coming out of turn seven, the rear bodywork flew off the car at approximately 150 mph (240 km/h), causing the car to become extremely unstable. The car lifted off the ground and tumbled multiple times down the track. The front of the car was completely torn away, leaving Donohue, still strapped to his safety seat, with his legs dangling outside the car. Amazingly, Donohue only suffered a broken leg."