HSR Mitty | FerrariChat

HSR Mitty

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #2 WILLIAM H, Apr 23, 2017
  3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #4 WILLIAM H, Apr 23, 2017
  5. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Wish I could have been there. Here is an onboard from the Nissan
    https://youtu.be/odwekxjGY7k

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    That thing is crazy stupid fast. The only place I had a chance against it was in the braking zone. He'd just run away from me in a straight line.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was there on Saturday- and the Nissan was about 3-5 seconds ahead of the fastest of the other cars on the first lap. there was a large gap to the next group then some stragglers. by the end of the 8 lap race he was gone. had it been any longer he would have lapped the field easily.

I have a piece of John Mortons Nissan that crashed up at Limerock... in 86 or 87 ... that is a fast car... & a switched on driver.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had a good time there on Saturday, but the only Ferrari on the track was a 308. The P4 replica was gorgeous but never left that spot. Ironically, its competition was present in the form of a Ford Mark IV replica that did go out but wasn't running very well and pulled right back in.

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I think that Mark IV was an original one. All 4 or 5 of the GT40s were, however, continuations.

10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    What kind of lap times was the Nissan running ?

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    From watching the youtube clip above I hand timed a 1:16.98 and a 1:16.74.

My favorite part was watching the boost gauge. That thing spools up to max boost FAST! Just brutal!

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nope, the owner said it was a continuation car, one of, I believe, 7 that were built.

13. #13 lorenzobandini, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    'Could be mistaken, but, weren't there seven Mk IVs built? Awful coincidental number....
    Maybe he meant never raced original? 'Just a thought... :shrug:

edit: Chassis J1 and J3-8 were Mk IVs, J10 was the Can Am car. 2, 9, 11, 12 were either not built or completed. (I don't recollect if the J Car that Ken Miles was killed in was one of those 4 numbers or if it had it's own nomenclature...'checking on that)

J4 ran at Sebring. 1 & 3 went to the Le Mans trials. 5,6,7,8 were the Le Mans race cars.

Anybody check the plate?

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    They were saying on the commentary that the Nissan was doing 1:15's.... so you compare that to the outright record of 1:08. ish.. not to far off... considering a 20 Year + car.

The Hubble car was way, way at the back, had the race gone for 3-4 more laps the Nissan would have lapped the last 2-3 cars - easily.

The Nissan if I remember has ground effects of sorts and is a monster to drive! well done to the driver he was not doing a Sunday drive.

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Driver was one of Toby Bean's sons; Patrick, I believe. He's racing LMP 3 in Europe. BTW, that Nissan is an '88, so it's almost 30 years old! Damn well driven car.

16. 'Just perused qual. times for the Nissans (Geoff Brabham) from '89, 90, & '91 (times not available for '88) and all three years they were just over ('89) and just under ('90 & 91) 1:11; so not bad at all. :)

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Dern John Morton attended Clemson back in the day, our hometown, and if I new William H was going run we'd been over to see that, just a hop down 85. Glad everyone but the pace car ran well.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think he said it was J9, but don't quote me on that. He also said that there were two Can Am cars, but that one was converted back to Le Mans configuration.

19. I only knew/know of one, but, I was a youngster, and was in no way affiliated with the "Honker" team so I don't know fer sure either... :)

20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    For the first time since 1988 I missed the Mitty. I was terribly disappointed. Had to work Saturday and it rained all day Sunday.

21. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Not shabby at all , i look forward to battling with him at HSR events.

22. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The rain on Sunday was in no way as bad as predicted. There was no flooding at all, no BS multi-pace laps, etc. After lunch, it rained twice for about 8 minutes each time, and it misted quite a bit, but it was OK. Aside from a Mustang driver, no high torque/high HP cars ventured out. That Mustang driver was very skilled, as were most others.

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

To my knowledge built by Kenny Thompson to exacting standards.

Why not kenny? He built the originals:)

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Cool. not sure who the driver is of the Nissan, but he was ON IT into Turn 6, flat out.... impressive. most of the other guys were lifting & breaking he was just barely lifting and then back on it.

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Road Atlanta is not a place where you want to make mistakes in the rain or on a wet track. there is a LOT of oil and rubber down so that all gets really slippery... Road Atlanta is a fun track, but you can also get killed there easily.