How's Tarek K. ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How's Tarek K. ?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Back Marker, Jan 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Huge party at Tarek's! :D

2. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #102 mcimino, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Congratulations T! Hoping for all the best going forward!

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Anytime......you are all welcome.

Thank you friends......

4. pamparius

pamparius Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    germany
    congratulations!

5. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Good stuff, my friend, good stuff!

6. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Tarek, congrats to you and your fellow countrymen !!!

I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to witness firsthand such a historic moment for your country and it's people.

Now that we know you are ok, I've got to ask, are the cars and your other toys OK? :)

7. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    The toys are OK Dave :).

8. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #108 mcimino, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    How are things going?

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This is an unfortunate consequence of how our media operates as entertainment first, and information gathering/dissemination a distant second. I'm not sure how much you know of the state of U.S. "news", but there are influential types who have painted this democratic revolution as an Islamic uprising funded by left wing communists in the U.S. government (Barrack Obama of course) to establish a new Muslim Caliphate across the middle east. The people making these absurd claims have vast audiences, many of whom are active members of our Congress and members of this board who take their words as gospel truth. This is concerning for many reasons, but I can only hope that reason finally takes hold here and we allow this process to unfold on its own in Egypt, without our usual meddling.

My congratulations to you and all of Egypt for showing the world how to affect change without the use of weapons and violence. It's a sad day for al qaeda when a mob with Twitter accounts has a more tangible effect on their government than a mob of brainwashed men with bombs in their pants. I look forward to spending more time in Egypt, as my last trip was much too short.

Of course I do have a complaint about this whole ordeal regarding your timing. The U.S. Men's National Team lost a valuable FIFA international date against the Pharaohs because of this... damn!

10. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Very well. Yesterday the military announced in it's 4th official announcment after the take over that Egypt will be a democratic civilian republic which means that the next elected president will not be an army officer or of military background, but a civilian. Furthermore, the military reinstated the temporary government which was established last week.

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :).........thank you Robin. I am ofcourse sad that US media does not depict Egypt as it really is. It will be my responsibility as well as other fellow Egyptians to spread the truth and show the real Egypt and true Egyptian. The internet now is by far and has proved to be a stronger means of communication than the media. Real and true people voice their own opinions without twisting. Millions of people communicate directly with each other which is something the media cannot provide.

We are determined to create a new and better Egypt, a true democratic civilian republic. It will take time, but it will be done.

You and all friends here are most welcome in Egypt anytime and it will be a pleasure to meet you during your visits to Egypt.

Best regards, Tarek

12. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I believe many Egyptians from the diaspora should come back and witness/help in the change you have so many talented people abroad!

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Be safe, Tarek. I bid you and yours my best.

14. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thank you Tom.

15. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I think what the Egyptian people have accomplished is incredible. Reminds me of the Solidarity Polish uprising in the 80s against Russian rule.

My sense from most I've spoken with is that the Egyptians have a desire for self determination and freedom from a dictatorship, this they have achieved through enormous will and determination.

Yes, it is true there are those in the news screaming Muslim Brotherhood and so on. Most thinking people know that the news has little credibility, they concern themselves with the ratings at the cost of not providing a true/accurate picture.

The U.S really does need to keep its nose out of other countries affairs, but it never has, and probably never will as long as power/politics/money are involved.

Tarek, thanks for all the great info.. You and your family stay safe.

Ciao,
    George

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

glad your ok Tarek

chas :)

17. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Many thanks Chas.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#118 dinogts, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    I agree, and since that's the case, then maybe you can help return the $150 million that our government has just announced that it will send to Egypt to help with the transition to democracy.

And, while you are at it, maybe next you can also help return most of the foreign aid that the U.S. has sent to Egypt over the years to support everything from your former government (rotten as it was) and your army, to reclamation projects, archeological preservation projects, medical training, and agricultural support, among other things.

19. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    If it was up to me, I definitely would.

America still insists to continue to assume the role of a global teacher. For almost 30 years America took the lead during the Cold War in Asia, Africa and the Arab World to rise as the sole superpower after the fall of the Soviet Union.
    It is a long history that has seen how the image of America has changed, from the benefactor of the developing world and the defender of the rights of the young postcolonial states, to its present image as a military dominance and supporter of dictators and tyrants across the globe.
    America was able to secure the transfer of natural resources from Egypt through the support of the dictatorship that has been in power for so long.
    The oil and gas as well as other resources of Egypt were not being sold to America by a democracy but rather by a handful of ruling corrupt families and officials who exploited our own nation and looted our own people for the benefit of the American government.
    The fall of Mubarak, and the fear that this may lead to the fall of other Arab leaders, has already sent fear into the American government who relies on oil and gas and other resources from the Arab World to keep its economy going and its interests in the Arab region protected.

The American aid and monies received by Egypt from the American government over the last decades is nothing compared to the benefits and exploits the American government received from Egypt and other Arab countries.

My opinion which I stated above is not against the American people, but against the policy of the American government and its continuing attempts to enforce it across Egypt and the Arab region.

20. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Very well said Tarek.
    Also, to the gentleman who is asking: The American aid to corrupt rulers is nothing compared to the American aid given to the government of Israel so it can use more excessive force against Palestinians and build more settlements leading to more anger from Arab people against the US government & the corrupt Arab rulers. Any answers for that ?

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#121 dinogts, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    I just made a suggestion, that maybe Tarek should put his money where his mouth is, so to speak.

Now, as to an answer to your general question, after Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, I think Saudi Arabia is the next place ripe for a real democratic revolution. The royal family has been propped up by the U.S. military, and U.S., German, and French (among others) military equipment suppliers for way too long. And speaking to your concern for Palestinians, when was the last time that Saudi Arabia opened their borders to allow Palestinians refuge and to try to make their lives better? Is Saudi Arabia still taking people from other countries in as slaves, like women from Ethiopia and the Philippines? You know that the answer to that is YES. If you don't believe that is happening, take a look at reports the from anti-human trafficking organizations.

And then, well, there is always Iran.

What do you think?

I just hope that the U.S. stays out and doesn't get involved in any sort of harebrained "nation building" operation.

Oh, and here's some other questions and issues for you and Tarek to mull over for awhile -

Why does Egypt have one of the highest rates of Female Genital Mutilation (including excision of the clitoris and infibulations) of all the relatively developed countries in the world? Some reports put it as high as 95% of adult women a few years ago, but more current reports (perhaps a little dubious) put the figure somewhat lower now. For example, in 2008, Egypt’s Minister of Family and Population stated that FGM rates were about 65% in Upper Egypt.

Not too surprisingly, Saudi Arabia as not released such information, nor has it permitted outside human rights investigators to conduct surveys.

FGM and slavery certainly are not practices that the U.S. supports or approves of, yet, left to your countries' own devices, those practices continued unabated, until international pressure managed to make some limited inroads – it was not self-determination that changed the practice of FGM.

For all of the bravado about recent events being self-actuated, the facts are that the common person in many of the relevant countries has NOT supported uprisings against despotic governments. (Iran is a possible exception with the overthrow of the Shah, but look what happened there). However, the common person HAS allowed (and in many cases supported or applauded) things like FGM, blatant oppression of women, child marriage, stoning, and slavery. [Don’t even try to respond that there was slavery in the U.S. – we fought a bloody civil war to stop it, while slavery continues to this day in parts of Africa and throughout the Middle East].

Finally, no matter what the legitimate and serious concerns are about Israel, at least Israel has a functioning, and often fractious, democracy, with political parties that are publicly able and willing to express a wide divergence of views regarding all manner of political and economic issues, including self-doubt over its own treatment of Arabs within its borders, and Palestinians in the Occupied Territories.

You sure as heck don't see that type of introspection and publicly acknowledged self-doubt anywhere else in the Middle East, do you?

22. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I would suggest you visit Egypt to see for yourself and not to base your opinions on readings which do not depict the complete picture or truth. Arab countries are completely different from Western countries with different cultures, values and habits. We have our flaws, but we also have many advantages.

It will be my pleasure to have you as my guest and to show you around Egypt. Maybe I will be able to show you Egypt in a way which you won't find in newspapers or articles.

If you are interested in visiting Egypt please PM me and I will be happy to arrange for your visit.

Best regards,

Tarek

23. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Cairo is definitely onb my list of places to visit. One of my friends that live there gave me his dining recommendations. Is this a pretty good list Tarek?

"Head over to Na'ama on Naguib Mahfouz street in Agouza (in Giza, across the river, just north of the 6th October Bridge. Simply say "mata'am Na'ama Agouza" and you will be taken there by all but the most incompetent of cab drivers. Best fast food in Cairo that doesn't require getting real street level (risking stomach problems). Get a french fry sandwich, some pickled eggplant, some ta'amiya (falafel) and baba ganoug. You will not be disappointed.

For the best shawerma in homemade shrak bread go to Abu Amar el Souri. Located on Syria street ("shara'at Souria") in Mohandiseen (again in Giza). Make sure to get the garlic sauce ("thowmiya").

For fuul (Egyptian beans - make you strong) go nowhere but Al-Mahrous in Garden City (it's called "Garden City" in Arabic) near the Canadian Embassy. Simply ask the cab driver to take you to the Canadian embassy ("saffarat Canada") and ask for Al-Mahrous Fuul. It's just down the block on a small, tree-lined street. Get the fuul with everything, and the boiled egg salad. Ignore the slightly downscale surroundings (you will be eating at plastic tables on the street).

For Koshary, go to Abu Tarek on Champillion Street. Every cab driver knows Abu Tarek on Champillion street.

Afraid of street food? Confused by odd neighborhoods and strange directions? Go to Abu El Seid in Zamalek. It's in lonely planet. It's good, they have liquor, nice decor. Felfela is fine.

For beer go to two places and two places only - the rooftop bar at Odeon Hotel (on Abdel Hamid Said street, next to Cinema Odeon off Tala'at Harb street) or Hurriya in Midan Falaky off Tahrir street. No holds barred, complete with Egyptian pickled beans and sawdust on the floor, ice cold Middle Eastern beer experience. Full stop."

24. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    You know the right people ;)........these are famous traditional places.

25. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    #125 Tarek K., Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017