"Howling" noise | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Howling" noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I am very interested in this thread, Im looking forward to you finding out whats causing the sound, I myself hate when I hear noises , whether in my truck, car, or bikes, and cant find where they are coming from.

Thank you

2. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    crank pulley noise at startup is very common on many cars from that era, will not be surprised if it's that or even the small bearing inside that pulley housing.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Here is a video of my car on cold start (1st start of the year today). Been making this sound, on and off, since the day I got it, June1, 1985.

JohnnyTS likes this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #29 mike996, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    That's it!!!!! Identical sound to the one my '89 328 makes on cold starts/cool temps since I bought it in '08!! Does not make the sound in cold starts in warm temps.

I can say for sure that it is NOT the Water pump or tensioner bearings, the Alternator bearings, or the AC and tensioner bearings. It is also NOT any of the belts slipping. It is not the oil pump check valve - no noise at all from that with stethoscope when noise is being heard from engine.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Have you checked the AAV?
    Auxiliary air valve, should be easy to locate as the hose from under the air filter box runs right to it.

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    That is a weird noise, sounds like its an air leak somewhere.

Thank you

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    No, not an air leak and not the AAV. As I posted earlier - the noise (when it occurs) is loudest (stethoscope) from the center of the crank pulley. All other locations I have tried, including the oil cooler, are silent as far as that particular sound is concerned!

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    (hopefully won’t eat my words later) Both my 84 GTB QV and 85 Euro QV never made a sound like that at start up..

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is a typical water pump bearing noise.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Did you read post 29?

Why would a brand new 308 QV do that?

And why after 36 years would the original water pump on that car still be functioning perfectly. I can't imagine a bearing howling like that for 36 years would be damaged leading to failure.

And why in 36 years wouldn't a single tech that worked on the car mention it as a potential problem?

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The only things that are directly connected to the crank that could make that noise is:
    Lower drive gears, bearings
    Oil pump

The drive gears would be noisy as well, you don't report that to be the case.

That leaves the oil pump. It's gear driven right off the crank and sits right behind the crank pulley. The gear pump is straight cut gears with loads of axial movement, there really is a fair amount of play between the gear lash and the housing. My guess if you're not experiencing any issues is that gear pump is vibrating, chattering about in those tolerances until it heats up and those clearances close up a bit.
    It really sounds more like a whistle, high pressure flow thru a reed valve. Still could be the pressure valve, cold oil, higher viscosity, greater pressure differential creating pump harmonics. But could easily be why the factory updated the spring. Shorter spring and shim increased the spring rate to reduce/remove that problem.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If no one can point a finger at the true cause after, well at least 36 years, I don't see an epiphany coming here anytime soon. :)

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #38 mike996, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    I tend to agree...;)

Re the oil pump spring - when did they update it? I assume sometime before the last year of 328 production so I'd assume my '89 had the updated spring. And again - NO noise from the pump relief valve and no noise from behind the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer (ie crank bearings).

It is not the water pump or any belt-driven component. No noise from any of them. I still haven't tried totally removing all the belts...

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I don’t think there’s a problem but quite interesting where that sound is coming from. I would think if it’s a bearing, oil pump or water pump etc. the sound would be consistent until it reached certain operating temp or volume? Definitely sounds like a whistle to me.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove all the accessory belts..maybe leave the a/c compressor belt as its a real pain to remove. So alternator and water pump belts. Start the car. Has anybody done this in the past?

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I had planned to do exactly that but you can't remove the WP and ALT belt without first removing the AC belt and that's a PITA because on my 328 you can't remove the AC belt without unbolting the compressor - there is no clearance to remove it otherwise. Maybe I'll overcome my lack of enthusiasm and do it anyway...or not. ;)

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not so sure about that. I just did a belt service on a 328 last week and the a/c belt was the last to come off and the first to go on. The order is alternator, water pump, a/c. Unless there is somthing wired about your car they are all set up this way.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You are absolutely right - had my head on backwards or something...can't figure out what I was thinking, especially since I just did the belts.:rolleyes: Thanks!

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I pulled the belts - started engine...no noise. I installed the belts one at a time and ran engine each time - no noise with any belt. Now with all belts back on...made no noise...of course! I'm done fooling with it - if it continues to make the noise sometimes on cold starts (as it always has), well, then it makes noise sometimes!

johnk... and 308 milano like this.
  20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ok, last thought...
    I've seen this on at least 3 engine builds. Abnormal bearing wear on just the #1 crank journal. Cause? The A/C belt was to tight and the wear was in the pull direction of the compressor. At cold start there's little to no oil in the journal. Can it cause that noise? Maybe....

It's funny I've tracked down all kinds of crazy noises on these engines. They buzz fairly high and stuff comes loose. Had one that would make this harmonic rattle/buzz at 3.5-4k rpm... Very irritating. Turned out to be the dang coolant pipe that drops down past the fuel tank... The one that sneaks past the alternator. It was vibrating off the tank strap... Foam insulation on the strap fixed it.
    There's also the other issue I've seen a lot, alternator cuts into the coolant pipe.

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Started the engine 3 times from cold since removing/reinstalling the belts - no "howl" at all. As before - I have NO CLUE as to the noise. I've tried to look at any variable and can't come up with anything on the engine other than random belt tension inherent in removing/replacing belts/adjusting tension to the "this feels about right" spec. It's been rainy/humid the last few days; maybe the car can predict weather!

22. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Very infrequently my '87 will make that same noise usually in cooler weather. For years and years......

23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe try and use belt conditioner ? Maybe the humidity softens the belts and or keeps them quiet ? , and dryer weather causes them to generate the howl ?

Thank you

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    A final update re the howling noise: I have done numerous cold starts since my post of 1 May and still no howling sound at all. I wish I could make some conclusion but I have no idea what caused it for years that now seems to have gone away. As per my May 1 post, only change was whatever "normal" variation in tensioning the three belts. Go figure...

25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    A final, FINAL update...24 days later, still not a single incidence of howling. If it's truly gone, the only possible cause seems to be the "synergy" of various belt tensions setting up a harmonic since nothing else was changed. Either that or the issue fixed itself. But a self-fixing engine is about as likely as a functioning perpetual motion machine! ;)