How would you describe your relationships with FChat | FerrariChat

How would you describe your relationships with FChat

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rongmei, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    Some of you have been FChat members for years. Some of you have been here more than 15 years. I am wondering how you would describe your relationships with FChat? :p

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Hell, looks like I "joined" in Nov, 2003, so I've not been here for more than 15 years yet.

Wish my stats would give me more info, but I would say? It took me at least a few years before I "subscribed." I've never "subscribed" beyond the level of "Silver," but that cost per year has proven to be a good investment.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A few years ago, F-Chat was about all I did it seems :eek: A couple of months I was "top poster" (most posts). I got upped to "Lifetime Rossa" by Rob years ago (thanks Rob! I still appreciate it). I got to be the first "F-Chat Ambassador" that's now an annual tradition... and I had (still have) tons of friends here.

But after 7 or 8 years, I faded somewhat - spending far more time outdoors, at the gym, with family, other hobbies, etc.

It's a great social site, car site, fun site - and I will always be fond of F-Chat. It's just no longer a place I spend hours a day reading/posting.

Jedi

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Fchat IMO has become a microcosium for the Nation. It is a much more hostile place. We used to help each other so much more. Ego's have gotten big! Ferrari ownership is social Darwinism. You have beat out others to get where you are. But when among other owners people are still posturing. People make fun of corvette old gold chain drivers but those people are much more genuine and friendly. There is a lot of "paying it forward" in the vette community (I race vettes). It used to be like that on Fchat when I raced Ferraris. I've been around since before the Ferrari list serve. Really knowledgeable people are getting more and more rare. So many good technical contributors have finally given up to do their own thing or just driven away by the insanity here. A new crop of Fchat rockstars will emerge but IMO there is no replacing, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Carlos Santana...

Marcopolo3382 and rongmei like this.
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Lemme see.

I have a dozen or so friends that I've made here that should stand the test of time. Met most of them, but one or two I have yet to shake hands with.

Got some great advice, and some lousy advice, just like any other group of friends I have.

Have a love/hate relationship with Rob Lay. We've been doing battle off and on for years, and yet he trusts me to moderate here, which I think says a lot about him and this place.

As to the rest of the members here? I can have a knock down, drag out battle in P&R, and then turn around and have a civil conversation about cars with the same guys. We can be polar opposites politically, and yet, we all love cars, and really love Ferraris, and that seems to be enough to bridge the political gap.

I ebb and flow as far as posting goes. Some weeks I'm a posting monster, others I might not post at all. But I've been here a while, and I'm not going anywhere.

D

rongmei likes this.
  6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Avg IQ is higher than um, avg iq, which in and of itself provides escape from the tedious horror. Daily blessing of light from comics, not just comedians are often too brilliant to see. Insights and outta sights are plentiful, which can spoil dear viewer, or be lost entirely upon same. Your history and/or hystery may vary.

Due diligence and not so much is on full display, and out come combs to brush over or inspect and razors to split hairs or cut, sometimes deep. Sticktoitiveness is a blessing and a curse, as ever, as are the weeds growing on grass no matter the fence. Blame it on the hot air.

The give and take between common and uncommon allows one to become to leave and yet provide comfort, become familiar with unfamiliar, so much so that concern and grief is shared by and for fellow man. Except Cheap Pete, whose griefs are many a rant. I look forward to many more.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

DJP likes this.
  7. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Interesting question. I joined here years ago just to educate myself on an upcoming Ferrari purchase and never really went away.

I was extremely active on another auto site, became a moderator, and made absolutely great friends in the process. The site then got sold to a big company, and absolutely tanked as a result. While I am still a moderator there in name, I rarely go there any more.

I agree with others who have noted a different baseline for active members. The folks here seem to view life from a different perspective. I don't see myself ever being the most active member, but don't plan to stop visiting.

rongmei likes this.
  8. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    Do you think "subscribed" is a milestone of your relationship with FChat?

9. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang

This might be part of FChat evolvement.

10. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    Great post!!!!

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's the world's fastest news site (in the subscribed sections) and most folks here are smarter than me. That means there's a bunch to learn, which is good for a bored insomniac.

And, I've been flashed by Rob. ;)

12. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    During that 7 or 8 years, how did you feel about your relationship with F-Chat?
    What about now?

13. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    Same, smart people, interesting topics.

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Fchat is a chance to dip your foot in the deep end of the socioeconomic world... Share thoughts with people I wouldn't normally cross paths with... Its inspirational, and motivating. I have seen some of the same names on here for over 10 years... hard to believe. Folks have deep roots... I know more about some folks on here than I know about people I work closely with...

After 10 years plus you get a flavor for everyone' contributions, knowledge, personality, and quirks...

Being a member here allowed me to share thoughts with:

Industrialists
    Realestate tycoons
    Jet owners
    Yacht owners
    Docs
    Dentists
    world known lawyers
    Inventors
    Accountants
    Financial planners
    Ferrari Mechanics
    Porsche Mechanics
    Economists
    Democrats :)
    Website owners
    Toy manufacturers
    Adult film actors
    Real estate brokers
    Regular Joes with a lot of insight
    Brits
    Russians
    Asians
    Etc...

Now, where else can I do that?

rongmei likes this.
  15. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    Inspirational!!!!!!

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Friends with benefits...

;)

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Why does it really matter? It's a car site and a social site I've enjoyed, to varying levels, over the years. I feel fine. What's more to say? o_O

Jedi

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I joined late 2004 after buying a Mondial. The UK created another Ferrari forum in 2006 (ClubScud) and I went there. Still visit that but it is quiet now (this weekend and through ClubScud 16 Ferraris are off to Wales for a weekend).
    I came back a in 2014 before a business trip to Dallas. Met up with a few from here in Dallas and then started visiting Fchat on a regular basis.
    Today many car forums have less traffic, I blame FB and other social media to an extent, however I happy to say Fchat is still quite busy, the busiest forum I use.

rongmei likes this.
  19. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Addiction. Wish I had a dollar for every hour I have spent on f/chat since 2003.

rongmei likes this.
  20. rongmei

rongmei Rookie

May 4, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Rongmei Zhang
    :D