How will Ferrari 812 GTS hold its value? | FerrariChat

How will Ferrari 812 GTS hold its value?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nimamd, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Do you think it will hold its value well or even it may appreciate in value above the MSRP as probably the last NA V12 convertible? or it will depreciate significantly as the 812 SF?
    Your opinions?

2. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    My guess is it will depreciate like the regular 812 does. The 812 GTS will be great and I can't wait for mine, but it is not a numbered/limited edition. So there will undoubtedly be many made. Plus I just don't feel like mainstream (wealthy) folks desire front engine cars anymore. Everyone wants mid(rear) engine. Again, I don't care (and I do love mid-rear engine too). I love my 812 SF like I loved my F12. The engine sounds so great, especially revs in neutral at a stoplight :). So for me, it is just another great V12 and there aren't a lot of open top V12s to choose from. But I am definitely expecting to lose money if/when I tire of it.

Jordan68, IloveGT, Alcav5 and 2 others like this.
  3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very well said.. and good analysis on the mid-engine craze.

Gianfranco341 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If this is a big consideration for you on whether to purchase this vehicle than I would advise against it. Its highly unlikely any production Ferrari holds its value now. Buy it for the emotion or pass.

jyc1001, LARRYH, ROMO and 4 others like this.
  5. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Merci beaucoup! Thank you so much for your inputs.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    How present Ferrari models will depreciate in the future is impossible to say with exactitude. However, looking at the evolution of previous models depreciation perhaps can help to show a tendency.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nospinzone, GeeDubb and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    It will depreciate The only one that won't or may go above msrp will be the gto or whatever the special edition is called.

Gh21631 and kansas488 like this.
  8. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    #8 leopoldo, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    It will depreciate ... the non special GTS v12 ,even numbered , are not very high in value even today ( 550 barchetta or 575 super America except some special such as 599 sa ) moreover is not like a pista spider that has been sold only by factory invitation and in few units ( 700/800) . Everybody can buy an 812 gts. The 812 sf today are sold in Europe around 240/250k , the one with higher price are still there .....

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    that chart shows the first 3 years only. in my opinion the 458 is the least depreciated car of the bunch over 6+ years whereas the california is the most at well over 50%. F12 is right in the middle.

F2003-GA, PTG1, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you Mario as always you put in the work for us. But I do agree with @colonels about the time frame criticism as well as you have to consider there is a new marketing program at work now. So I don't think past performance will be exactly indicative of future results. However, its like @Solid State says- buy what you love (and can afford).

LARRYH, montpellier and Eilig like this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    If you do this, you can/will never get "hurt."

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    How old is this list? F12's have dropped a lot more than 3% in the last 3 years, I'd say closer to 30%

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think the numbers are for the first 3 years - being released in 2012 the F12 passed the 3 years mark in 2015, right when there was a speculative bubble on all used Ferrari. It probably distorts the result at this point of observation.

ChipG, MDEL and leopoldo like this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry I also agree with the time frame criticism referred by @colonels because the first three years of depreciation only tell a tiny part of the story. In this case I just reproduced a chart that was compiled by a serious publication. There is another entity named Drive foundry that made an interesting depreciation analysis in the UK for some Ferrari models during longer periods of time. If you interested in reading the article the link is https://drivefoundry.com/buying-guides/ferrari-a-guide-to-depreciation/
    For the ones not interested in the article below I post the charts that show the long term depreciation in the UK for the models F430-F1, 458 spider and California.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha those ff numbers are wrong - way worse. 355s stayed at msrp for a long time

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree. Something is off with the table. How can California and FF depreciate so little!?

17. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I would say FF is down 50% after three years st least.

Well that was before Corona and the current economic happenings, today I do not think any cars are traded....

18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The current UK depreciation is far worse than those numbers. Delivery miles 812 loses 20 % , a 2.5 year old Lusso 50 % . Ferrari is now a different situation and far from the gentle depreciation of a few years back. GTS, people say it will be better, based on what, it is hard to say. 812 sold over list for first delivery cars and GTS will probably do the same. But give it 12 months, when all the people try to dump it for either the new VS 812 or to cover their coupe losses. It should be better than coupe in depreciation terms as there will be fewer, however for some, it is not a super attractive car and within the cabin, roof up, it is very snug (I know it is opinions) plus any V12 from any car maker is a niche in the market. So agree with above sentiments, if you get a GTS, get it for what it is, but eyes wide open if you plan to sell after 2 years. It will still be cheaper than a divorce .

19. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I suspect the depreciation above are way off as they don’t properly account for optional extras.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    1,000 likes!!!!!!!

21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    57.58% of all stats are made up

hagen111, IloveGT and wrs like this.
  22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Sadly exellent :D

23. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the convertible v12 is something of a first for ferrari in 50 years so it may hold value better. if they had done it on the F12 i would be all in but i simply can't stand the 812 design. it looks twisted and unbalanced.

Solid State, dustman and leopoldo like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    To the initial question. Does it matter? I'm sure it will be stellar to drive, so value will be great. The more you drive it, the better value.

klinkman, italiafan and Autolove like this.
  25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith