How Will Danica Patrick do if She Drives for Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How Will Danica Patrick do if She Drives for Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ren0312, Jul 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    How do you people think Danica Patrick would do if she joins Ferrari, I think she would do quite well, although she is slower than Raikonnen, I think she is no slower than Felipe Massa, and unlike Raikonnen, I do not think she will have any motivational problems when it comes to winning, hiring Danica may also be a good move for the team because it will bring in more viewers from the US, bring in a lot of sponsorship money for the Scuderia, and also gain Ferrari a lot of male Danica fans, all in all not a bad proposition from a marketing point of view.

2. Mitch Thompson

Apr 17, 2007
    Bingley (England)
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Thompson
    Is there a suggestion somewhere that this might happen or is it pure speculation?

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think you're crazy.

4. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Just thinking out loud on my part, I was just saying that it may not be a bad idea from a marketing point of view because of the reasons I mentioned above.

5. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    If Felipe Massa is a nothing but field filler who is in a very fast car, or a second rate driver like Barichello as some posters here say, then I may be right.

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    +1

What is it with the asinine posts that have been popping up lately. First the Massa Raikkonen to STR and now this?

To the OP, Danica would be a back marker even in a Ferrari, she hasn't even won an IRL race yet.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No, I agree with ren0312.

Unfortunately 90% of modern race car performance is down to the car, thus with the Ferrari being one of the only 2 competitive cars on the grid, she would have a good chance of getting 4th places and occassional podiums.

Look at LH, jumps in a good car and podiums straight away. Yes he appears to be something special, but facts are facts, he SHOULD podium in a McLaren, anything less and he is not performing at average ability.

If you put Scott Speed in a Ferrari he would look no different to Massa/Barrichello/Irvine/etc. also.
    Pete

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh come on guys.

The McLaren and Ferrari are seconds a lap faster than anything else ... any of us could probably finish well after a massive test session (like Rossi had), etc.

I know guys that have driven F1 cars (ie. they own 90's F1 cars, admitted one guy is a multiple single seater champion, ie. F5000, etc.) and they say they are fantastic to drive ... as you would expect with all the technology, etc.
    Pete

9. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Right, just like how Fisichella performed in the same machinery as Alonso did the two previous years right? One of them was winning every other race and took the championship, while the other took one or two wins in both years and was running lower in the points, when he was needed to do some blocking up ahead. You're not giving these drivers enough credit, hell, you probably think you can get on with it as well as some of them if you had a quick crash course on an F1 car, don't you? Hell, I would take Sato over Danica anyday.

10. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Sato has been doing quite well this season, if they hadn't made the SA team just for him it'd be nice to see him get a better car.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You have missunderstood my reply and this threads question.

The thread asked how well would Danica do if she drove for Ferrari. I agreed with the post that said as well as Massa.

You have replied with, like how Fisi compared to Alonso. You stated that Fisi took one or two wins and a few podiums (I've added the podiums) ... that is exactly what Massa is doing. Thus Fisi was driving a good Renault and got a few podiums and a win or 2 ... thus this proves that somebody as useless as Fisi can get wins in a good car, thus there is no reason to think Danica cannot do as well as useless Fisi.

Again a good car makes mediocre drivers look good, but a bad car only makes really good drivers look good (ie. Alonso in a Minardi, Senna in a Toleman, etc.)
    Pete

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    You are joking, right?

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    +2

+1

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Why is it an asinine QUESTION ?

It's just a simple question, people.

1) Ferrari doesn't need a 'marketing figure' to sell cars, AFAIK, every Ferrari made is back-ordered 4+ years (?).
    2) I don't think she would do very well -er- I think she would do about as
    well in an F1 Ferrari is Beckham will do in USA soccer. Same situations.

How do you think Jeff Gordon would do in an F1 Ferrari ?
    Sam Hornish ? Paul Tracy ? Tony Stewart ?

Oh - and PSK - you are sadly mistaken if you think Senna was driving a 'bad car' in the Toleman, because Senna has always said by far the best handling car he ever drove was the Toleman, it just didn't have a motor that would last. But he LOVED that chassis.
    I also happen to think Danica is driving a GOOD car right now, but she has to make it happen, nobody is going to hand it to her (a win).

I also somehow think Ferrari doesn't really need to look too hard for sponsors, but I may be wrong.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    She'd do pretty well in a Ferrari, at least ~ Massa overall.

She's also cute, so I say bring her on.

16. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    There is a huge difference between being a great driver and being a exceptional driver. The exceptional ones drive for the top teams.
    I am a huge Danica fan for many reasons, one that she brings women into the sport and is a great roll model, but she is not F1 material. For that matter I don't see many INDY drivers that are. She has struggled (until this weekend) to run competitive on road circuits.
    Remember in F1 there is no bunching the field back together 5 times during the race. Rarely do you see a full yellow let alone a pace car. Being off 1sec of the leader means you will get lapped. Staying on the pace with the best drivers in the world in the fastest sport in the world is quite different than slapping INDY cars around an oval.
    She does so much more for INDY and motorsports where she is.

To answer the question: NO, she would not finish well and no, she cannot hold Massa's candle (not even close)

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    She's already driven a Ferrari once and proved she can't do it.

I agree with the majority of you guys - yet another stupid post from a newbie just trolling FChat. There's much more meaningful things happening in motorsport that this kind of crappy nonsense.

Carol

18. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    LOL! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING! HAHAHAHAHA! RIDICULOUS!

Why would the Italians want anything to do with a whiny american woman when they have race-proven drivers that have given their blood and sweat to earn a spot with the most heralded name in motorsports? Marketing? Sure, but think it through before posting...

19. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    She would not be good at all. In qualifying she would be out in Q1 or Q2 at the latest and then in the race she would lack the ability to pass. Let's not forget that not only hasn't she won in the IRL, to the best of my knowledge, she didn't win a race in the Atlantics either but she was moved up purely for pr purposes.

That being said, she would score the occasional point just because the car and other's attrition, but not most often.

20. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    hahah is this a joke?

21. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

While I may be critical of Massa's abilities, it is only in relation to other drivers on the F1 grid. He might be middle of the pack in term sof talent amongst F1 drivers but he is vastly superior to virtually everyone running in IRL. Comparing him to Danica is a joke, nothing more.

Danica, on the other, hand is mediocre by any definition of the word. She would be several seconds behind any current F1 driver, including the backmarkers, in an identical car. Danica in F1? Never gonna happen. I can't believe we are even taking this post seriously.

22. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think they meant, "a parts driver" for the team. She could probably stay up with traffic around Maranello in the van!

23. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    On what basis do you suggest that Danica is faster than Massa?
    On the motivational problems when it comnes to winning, we don't know on Danica's case because she has NEVER won an IRL race!
    The male Danica fans supporting Ferrari would probably not make a big difference on Ferrari's fan base anyway and the road cars are selling fine.
    Your rationale assumes that Ferrari needs more (better?) marketing and Danica can deliver this. Ferrari's marketing is arguably good enough and what the F1 team needs are drivers that can win championships.

All in...Danica would not do well at Ferrari.

(BTW I don't Danica is that good looking anyway)

24. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad

+1

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    With all due respect, that is utter nonsense. Bye bye thread, I'll be moving on.