How to remove Rear view Mirror | FerrariChat

How to remove Rear view Mirror

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MisterT, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Needs removal to tighten in order to remedy shaking.
    I have nudged/thumped the top of the pyramid mounting in all 4 directions, but not succeeded.
    Is there a technique? I cant see anything in WSM.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    My car is an 86 the front housing has 4 tabs pry up top or bottom and remove the front. Then use a trim kit tool to gently remove the mirror it's just held in place by the gasket. You will now have access to the main post and its pretty self explanatory from there. My loose mirror issue was not due to the screws as Kerry points out. The bottom snap fit had just poped out and thus the mirror would shake. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

3. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  4. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great information and pictures - many thanks! I also need to tighten my 86 TR rear view mirror, as seems to be a little loose...

5. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Thanks Jeff, I have an 89/90 car and the mirror is different, it is like this...

[​IMG]

And looks like it is attached to the screen with a pyramid type attachment, which looks like it separates. Above shows the half which attaches to the mirror. I need to know how this separating works, and if separated / restored. Picture credit to Kerry Wittig, but he has not been on-line for 4 months+

6. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Any one else got any experience of this?

7. spikef15c

spikef15c Rookie

Sep 8, 2009
    Northern Texas
    In my opinion, it is easier to remove the entire mirror and base from the glass. It is attached with a double sided tape. The connection between the mirror stalk and the pyramid base is pretty robust with a circular clip-in connection as pictured in your previous post. If you use something like dental floss to cut through the double sided tape, you can remove the entire mirror assembly. Clean off the remains of the tape, and re-attach with new tape. That tape is sometimes called a mirror adhesive pad and is also used on Porsches from the 70s and 80s.

8. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    OK, I can do that, but when I get the whole unit detached from the screen, how do I separate the Pyramid base into its 2 halves?

9. spikef15c

spikef15c Rookie

Sep 8, 2009
    Northern Texas
    The first option is to try to tighten that screw without removing the upper base portion. That pyramid piece blocks direct alignment of the screwdriver but you may get enough purchase to tighten it. The second option is to remove that upper base now that it is out of the car. I found it difficult to do, but much less intimidating than when it was attached to the upper portion of the windshield/windscreen. Both parts of the mount portion are aluminum and it is a press together fitting. If I remember correctly, I was able to barely rotate the two parts while pulling which slightly separated the two halves. There is a slight ridge on the inside of one of the pieces which aligns the halves. I was then able to more easily pull them apart. I hope that helps.

10. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Hmmmm.....I "might" be able to get a right angled screwdriver in there.
    or a small ratchet with screwdriver bit attached.
    Will give that a go at the weekend.
    Many thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login