How to place car in Neutral? | FerrariChat

How to place car in Neutral?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fireman, Jun 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fireman

fireman Rookie

May 30, 2015
    Hello

As you may have already guessed, I am not at all familiar with Ferrari. I just purchased a california that will need a little work. Transport company is asking how to place car in neutral without turning on engine. Could you kindly provide me some assistance?

Thank you so much.

James

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The mechanic who will be working on your car should know what to do, if he's competent with current Fcars. So you should engage the help of such a person before handling the car if it is not operable. Personally-speaking I don't think it's normally possible to engage neutral without the engine running. Here are my reasons:

- neutral requires the DCT to disengage its gears internally
    - the DCT gearbox is only controlled by the paddles
    - the paddles are electronic so the engine must be running, current flowing to controls

As you know, neutral is engaged by simultaneously pulling back on both gear shift paddles.

If you cannot start the car for some reason and do not have the help of a competent Ferrari mechanic, they need to somehow lift all the wheels off the ground and place them on a wheeled platform for transporting. They'll need the key to disable the alarm before doing so.

The only other possibility is if there are external manual controls located on the DCT that your mechanic can operate to disengage the gears inside the DCT. Unfortunately, the transport company is not suitable for performing that sort of procedure. Again, you should not work on this car unless you can access help from a competent Ferrari mechanic. Good luck!

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    There is a tool that can be used to mechanically release the parking brake if the engine cannot be started. I'd recommend starting it then putting it into neutral (pull both paddles at the same instant) and load the car. If you cannot start the car then use the procedure below. The key they are talking about is a thin z shaped tool in the tool kit. With over 100,000 modern Ferrari miles I have never had to use it.

As a side note about Neutral, many that are new to the new DTC style transmission complain about the 'dragging' between the engine and transmission when for example you give a little gas at a traffic light, the clutch starts to engage, then you decide to stop and the clutches are still pulling ... I immediately pull both handles, putting it into neutral, then immediately pull the right paddle to put it back in 1st, taking control of my car.

From the California owner's manual to answer the original question:
    If the electric parking brake cannot be deactivated because the battery is flat or there is a failure in the electrical system that controls it and the vehicle needs to be moved, the emergency procedure described below must be performed.
    • Open the luggage compartment lid.
    • Remove the tool kit cover.
    • Take key A out of the tool kit to release the electric parking brake.
    • Using the special rectangular groove B in the right of the tool kit (marked by a plate), place the release key in the hole (in the left part of the groove) and turn it clockwise. This movement loosens the parking brake cables.
    Important note
    To release the brake completely, the key needs to be turned 50 times whereas it starts to be released after approximately 20 turns.
    Once the electric parking brake has been manually released, the EPB node records a failure at the next key-on and a warning light and the following message “Parking Brake system revision. Go to dealer” is displayed on the TFT display.
    Warning
    The parking brake resumes normal operating but it is important to go to the nearest workshop to have it calibrated and delete any errors in the error memory.
    Go to a Ferrari Service Centre. Calibration is necessary for safety reasons.
    However, this should be avoided unless absolutely necessary:
    - to tow the vehicle
    - if there is a Park Lock failure (the following message is
    displayed on the TFT display: “Only manual unlock gearbox
    allowed: See handbook”).
    Warning
    When the Park Lock safety device is deactivated manually, the
    vehicle may move unexpectedly. The vehicle is only kept stationary by the parking brake, if
    applied.
    Warning
    If the vehicle is not on a level surface, the Park Lock must be released by the device in the passenger compartment. After releasing the Park lock, the following message may appear on the TFT display “Only manual unlock gearbox allowed: See handbook” Procedure for releasing the Park Lock from the passenger compartment
    Warning
    This procedure must only be performed when the vehicle is on a level surface.
    The Park Lock manual release device is in the pocket-change compartment on the centre console.
    • Take key B out of the tool kit.
    • Open the pocket-change compartment on the centre console.
    • Remove the rubber cap A.
    Place key B in the device housing in the pocket-change
    compartment.
    • Turn the key clockwise.
    if the electrical system allows it, check that the letter “N” appears on the Dot Matrix display by turning the ignition key to position “II”. The following message “Gearbox not in Parking position” appears on the TFT display.
    Important note
    Once the vehicle has been moved to a safe place, the Park Lock must be reset.
    • Place key B in the device housing in the pocket-change
    compartment.
    • Turn the key counterclockwise.
    If the electrical system allows it, check that the letter “P” appears on
    the Dot Matrix display by turning the ignition key to position “II”.
    • Close the device hole with the rubber cap A.
    The Park Lock manual release device is in the luggage
    compartment.
    • Take key B out of the tool kit.
    • Open the luggage compartment.
    • Remove the felt cover E.
    • Remove the rubber cap F that protects the device.
    • Place key B in the device and turn it clockwise.
    if the electrical system allows it, check that the letter “N” appears on the Dot Matrix display by turning the ignition key to position “II”. The following message “Gearbox not in Parking position” appears on the TFT display.

Horse-whisperer likes this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rick, thank you for your input on the emergency parking brake release.

The OP had asked about placing the DCT in neutral and not how to release the parking brake so I answered his question directly as he didn't say if the car was in gear or if it was in park.

I actually hadn't come across the the emergency release procedure for the parking brake which goes to show that it's good to read through the entire owner's manual, a PDF copy of which you can download from HERE.

I believe the relevant section with illustrations, starts on page 227. It's also interesting to note the owner's manual recommends that it be only carried out by specialized persons.

Good luck James.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Horse-whisperer likes this.
  5. fireman

fireman Rookie

May 30, 2015
    Thanks a lot 4th Gear and Rick. I really appreciate your help. I am having a mechanic familiar with these cars go out tomorrow and see if he can assist in getting car transport ready. Person onsite has put a battery charger on car. He is somewhat familiar with ferrari cars and was aware with having to pull both paddles to engage neutral but was unable to engage neutral as car won't start.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep, that's another issue about these cars, the batteries going dead. The battery will drain if the car is left undriven for a "long time" without its battery tender hooked up. Depending on the state of the battery before the car was left idle, "a long time" can even mean just within a couple of weeks.

The regular battery tender that came with the car will also not be able to fully restore a dead battery; it was only designed to keep a healthy battery topped up, not to recharge dead batteries. However, in the event that the car's owner is not able to resuscitate the battery even after hooking up the tender/charger for a couple of days (it can take that long sometimes), you may still be able to jump start the car. Your mechanic will know.

7. fireman

fireman Rookie

May 30, 2015
    Thanks again guys. I just now saw this page on my laptop I missed the owners manual link when viewing on my phone. I will read.

This this car require you to step on brake to turn on car? I got quite a few stupid questions. In the meantime I am going to read the manual Thanks

8. Romblu

Romblu Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    hi friends do some body no the proceder to put a 458 in nuetral with engine not running since some times i am having issues that engine wont crank at all do some body no how ,maserati ghibli have a simpile lever on the floor passiger side you just pull up an lock and its neutral but 458 ???? thank you evrey one

9. Horse-whisperer

Jul 2, 2021
    Hi guys, my brother and I bought an inop California that have tons of issues, after finally getting the engine started , I noticed the that dot matrices read N. As per the post I did the turn the key counter clockwise but it does not put the park lock back on and the display still reads N. My questions are are as follows:

1. Can you drive the ferrari in the park lock released mod? If yes how. I tried but its not shifting. Also my hood was open all the time and I cant close it.
    2. Do you think there is something broken internal to the transmission as I cant put it back to Park Lock mode to display the P on dot matrix display? I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong like not closing the door or something.

Thanks in advance!