458 - How to make right side of speed show digits for MPH? | FerrariChat

458 How to make right side of speed show digits for MPH?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jason B, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Can't figure this out and must have missed it in the manual. RIght now the right TFT display shows MPH as an analog gauge. How do we make it show digits for MPH in that right screen?

How to make right side of speed show digits for MPH? Sample photo below, but this is km.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Press and hold down the right most button "back/view" on the right side toggle to get that display, the larger MPH readout comes handy :)

PTG1, IloveGT and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    DefunctNeurons, PTG1, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #4 Jason B, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Thanks for quick replies but I had it figured out previously to get the analog speedometer on the right side but I want to try to figure out how to get it all digitally with the bigger numbers only instead of the analog clock look.

EDIT. I’m being told to hold the 2 outer buttons till it changes. Will try again. Parked now.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    That’s gotta be fake news, yes Nuno? 344 kph (I’m assuming) is 215mph.....?

6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Page 125 in my manual:

Speedometer display
    The speedometer can be displayed on the right TFT display in “Speedometer” or “Digital speed” mode.
    To select the desired display mode, call up the MENU screen page on the left TFT display (see page 98) and select the items “Display setup”, “Display right”.
    “Speedometer” screen page
    The “Speedometer” screen page indicates the speed by displaying a virtual analogue speedometer.
    “Digital speed” screen page
    The “Digital speed” screen page indicates the speed in digital form.

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  7. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    It's been raining all week so this gave me an excuse to go sit in my car and confirm:

8. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Turn off the radio / satnav

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #9 Jason B, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Ok. Got it. But when I hit both outer buttons on the right the HDD music I have on turns off or radio will also turn off/mute.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Low fuel, carbon fiber options and perhaps a small incline, it’s not that hard or uncommon.

Official Top speed of 325 is severely underestimated.

Kind regards,

Nuno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

PTG1 likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Displayed top speed is also overestimated, as with all car speedometers - and at 325 kph a 3% error is already almost 10 kph... anyway, official top speed of the 458 Italia is "more than 325 kph", with no indication of how much more ;)

12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You’re right. Ferrari is very conservative when announcing a vehicle’s performance data, and not just with respect to the 458. They’ve done it with the 488 too. The 488 has an officially declared top speed of 330 kph, but we all know it’s higher (display speed). I’ve seen as high as 345 kph. With the F8, I’m expecting more of the same.

Underdeclaring is actually nice. Better than overdeclaring!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Range of 78km with half a tank left? Lol! Well done.

14. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Yes. As far as I can tell the digital speed read out on the right tft only comes on when there is no music or satnav.

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    That has not been my experience. Having the right tftp screen on speedometer turns off the SCREEN for music / satellite / phone, but does not turn off music. You press and hold the BACK / VIEW button to swap between the screens, but i have no problem playing music with the right screen on speedometer. My only thought is that it is possible you switched the source for the music and there is nothing for it to play. You can use the button on the back of the right side of the steering wheel to switch between sources (HDD, AM / FM, SAT, IPOD) without having to switch from the speedometer screen. If that doesn't work then I think there is something wrong because it definitely works with no problems for me (2014 Spider).

Rob

Hesh likes this.
  16. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ah, I think I was hitting and holding the two outer buttons at the same time, then radio would mute. Guess that's why. I guess I'll try just the black/view button.

Who's in PA and can give me a few tutorials. The thing with these cars and getting to know the quirks takes time, when I thought I knew most of it. Thanks everyone. I will try it again, or maybe someone can facetime me.

17. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    That explains what is happening. If you were holding the two outer buttons at the same time you were changing the view and turning the radio off. The buttons have two labels, the top label is when you tap it, the bottom is when you hold it. The left button is MAIN / ON OFF. If you were holding it you were turning the radio off. The right button is BACK / VIEW so you want to hold only that button to change the view on the right tft screen between "music / phone / nav" and "speedometer."

Hesh and DefunctNeurons like this.
  18. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Yes, well that doesn’t work.
    You need to do what you say above but then you need to press and hold down the back and view buttons on the right side controls at the same time and then it comes up.

rob5819 likes this.
  19. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Post directly above this one: "The right button is BACK / VIEW so you want to hold only that button to change the view on the right tft screen between "music / phone / nav" and "speedometer."

20. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Is there a way to change the analog speedometer between MPH/KPH on the left side?

My digital reading is kph, but my analog one is mph. I would like to make the analog kph as well. Cant seem to find it in the menu