How to mail & insure a watch? | FerrariChat

How to mail & insure a watch?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by gumbajv, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    How are you insuring your watch when you mail it, either buying or selling? When I contacted Fedex they stated they only insured for $1000.00, any amount over that and I would need a 3rd party insurer.
    Also, is it up to the buyer to arrange insurance prior to having the watch shipped out?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The post office offers 25k on a registered/ insured package.

David_S likes this.
  3. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I haven’t shipped a watch in a long time but I used to use ParcelPro. They offer insurance and cheap overnight rates. Look up their website.

I once made the mistake of shipping a watch using USPS certified mail and it took almost 2 weeks and no tracking updates while it sat around during a bad snow storm. I was really worried it would get lost and I would have to fight to get the insurance money but it eventually showed up.

darth550 likes this.
  4. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
  5. UPS will insure packages up to $50K USD, and as high as $70K.
    https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/sri/protection-package.page

As to who arranges for shipping/insurance, that's usually negotiated if between private parties. If buying from a dealer/retailer, then usually the dealer/retailer will handle those logistics.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My wife (Manages 2 high end boutiques) uses ParcelPro and Ferrari Express.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Do you drive the Ferrari Express?

vraa and darth550 like this.
  8. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
  9. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Be careful when getting insurance from UPS and FedEx. This was a few years ago but I had paid for "insurance" on a watch I shipped from UPS. What I didn't know at the time is employees often interchange the term insurance and declared value, what I had really paid for is a higher declared value, which has a much lower liability cap AND you have to prove the shipper is at fault.

For UPS it's a separate product: https://upscapital.com/product-services/flexible-parcel-insurance. I'm not sure about FedEx.

As others have mentioned, ParcelPro seems to be king. I've received several watches shipped using them.

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You should be able to get full coverage thru your homeowners insurance company. I have full replacement on diamonds, watches thru Nationwide with zero deductible for few hundred a year.

11. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    I insured the watch for full value and did overnight shipping thru UPS. The employee did a bunch of shots as proof of the condition.
    They require that it be double boxed with at least 2” of packing minimum.
    Apparently each store sets their own price, and the price fluctuate daily. Delivered the next day save & sound.

12. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    Cincinnati Insurance. You can get a replacement cost or a appraisal cost policy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app