How to improve Testarossa brake feel? | FerrariChat

How to improve Testarossa brake feel?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jay535, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
  2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Is the brake booster working?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  3. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Yes, at least a bit. I’m not sure how much assistance there’s supposed to be, but there is definitely some.

4. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    My booster wasn't working and I had some stuck calipers. So my pedal was rock hard, barely moved. Now it drops a few inches then gets hard. I'd check to make sure it's getting a vacuum at the vacuum line or at least that it's not leaking.

Have your calipers ever been rebuilt?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Thanks for the reply.

I don’t know if the calipers have been rebuilt. I suspect not. I bought the car only 3 weeks ago. It was a little-used car and I’ve put a few hundred miles on it. Brake feel has improved since then; I’m pretty sure there were seized calipers that are now free after some use. The car brakes in a straight line now, at least.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I was in the same situation with a car with under 9k miles. Brakes were redone and it really stops well so check ur calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay535 likes this.
  7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    You can rebuild your calipers yourself or send them out for a full rebuild. I sent them out to have them replated and fully rebuilt.
    Here's the before and after of what I was working with. It's nice to basically be working with new parts. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Given the cars age, a brake redo sounds like a smart move. low mileage but was the brake fluid changed every two years?
    Once youre at it put ferodo 2500 pads on.
    I have a BBi and your brakes shouldb at least as good as mine, and on the BBi the brakes when working properly are more than adequate even for mild track use.

Theyre never going to feel as immediate overboosted touch the pedal sharp as a modern car though, pedal should be reasonably firm and requires plenty of pressure. But you should feel confident that it will pull off speed rapidly from 150 to 50 repeatedly without bother, or handle repeated braking coming down a mountain without fade. It might never feel like it will jerk to a stop with the nose on the ground from 20-0 like a modern abs car, different priorities.

Jay535 likes this.
  9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Braided steel flexhoses from Superformance helped mine feel better.

boxerman likes this.