How old is too old to start racing? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How old is too old to start racing?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by davemqv, Jan 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Jay. Maybe I'll reach out to you when I have some time to head up.

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks William!

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Peter. I appreciate the reassurance!

Yeah, $25k a weekend would be out of the question for me. At that point I'd likely give up racing to buy a few more dream cars, even if I could technically afford it, unless I win the lottery or something. Not to mention that even if I survived all the high speed racing, my wife would kill me when she saw the bill. Lol.

I guess my idea of racing is just outdated or perhaps just clueless? I knew friends of my Dad when i was a kid who would drive their street legal 911 race cars to the track, race them, and drive them home. I never got a dollars and cents tally on this as a kid so maybe even doing that back in the early to mid '80's was insanely expensive. None of them were broke by any stretch but it all seemed very casual and fun. None of them had official teams or even support crews that I knew of. They'd just drive out to the track with a deck chair and a 12 pack and make a day out of it with their friends.

Anyway, that's the seed that got planted in my brain back then. :)

But it sounds like there are options to be had for less. HPDE sounds really fun, as does driving school. I did stunt driving courses as a kid and loved that. But I have a sort of competitive nature, and still like the idea of going car to car with other folks.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've officially decided I won't be too old to start racing in a few years. Possibly too poor though! :)

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just found this out also and agree. The Lucas cars were exceptionally easy to overdrive...not that I know anything about that ; )

Well said.

Again, totally agree.

Ha! I know why I didn't - couldn't afford it ; )

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was able to pre-pay for the first Lucas season for 19k and change for 4 weekends and 8 races. Just as a basis for comparison. Obviously that doesn't include travel and expenses which are substantial. Their next season will have more events, so the price will go up, but I would guess the per-event charge will be similar.

Also keep in mind that if you are not racing for the championship, you can just cherry-pick the events you want to do - just as an example to control costs. They also run an over-40 masters championship, and now multiple run groups, so there is always something to compete for...and they will promote you to the faster run groups as you progress.

I started with HPDE just for fun, and fell into racing when I went to racing school to make sure I didn't kill myself. HPDE is fun, but if you are really competitive and want to be wheel to wheel, I think you will outgrow it fairly quickly. The emphasis in HPDE is definitely on safely yielding to pass and should not be on racing each other.

7. testajohn

testajohn Rookie

Dec 19, 2016
    Harmelen,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John Hoogland
    I am 57 and started racing 3 years ago. After two years I was able to compete for the podium. I am participating in a cup race, so all cars are more or less equal.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It has been while since I checked, but Skippy's "fly and drive" race weekends are a LOT cheaper than that. I'm thinking $5k to $6k. I would recommend the Miatas over the open-wheel. But you get to race on the best tracks in the country, and the competition is first rate. You will learn in hurry how good you really are and how much you need to improve.

Outdated and unsafe. Here's the bare minimum you should have in any race car: Full NASCAR cage, six-point harness, HANS, full face helmet, and a fire suit. The cage alone blows out having a street/track car. Hitting a bar without a helmet will ruin your life.

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks. Yeah, I saw the Miata racing at Barber and it looked pretty appealing. The "Formula Barber" cars also look fun though.

10. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I am 49 and totally out of shape and just bought a 125 shifter. I raced motocross, watercraft and shifters in my 20s/30s then sat down at a desk to make money. If only I had the money I have now with the body I had then. But you're never too old. Go for it.

Manda racing likes this.
  11. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    I would suggest the Bertil Roos race school

http://racenow.com/

They run schools at Pocono and NJMSP, so they are reasonably close to you.
    I prefer the track at NJMSP.
    and
    They teach you how to RACE, not just follow the leader.

I would suggest the longer race schools, that end with a few short races. Completing the schools will fill the requirements for some race organizations.

and

I have seen some 911 guys that hook a trailer to the car, to transport race tires to the track.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Time and money. Well one can join a number of race series not too ruinous.
    But if youre prutting in the time to race it takes time from a lot of other fun activities, in my case swimming, flying, waterskiing, motorcycles, hiking, travel, having friends over, wife kids etc..

If you retire in your 50's or by 60 you can have the time.

As to HPDE events or track events. Depends on the organization.

At De events you can be part of a group that attends various events with similar cars, in my case the Lotus clan. Sure your not racing, but there is lots of fun to be had by learning from and sparing with friends for a few laps here and there. There is always a faster car to catch, and the camraderie is great. Cost comes down to 1-2k per day(depending on car) and you choose the days.

Not everything you do in life has to be Nth dgree comeptitive, some things can be experiential with some competitive aspects thrown in.

13. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Thanks for that Fred! I am going to do this this July in NJ Motorsports.

I did the Ferrari XTreme Experience and it was great:)

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whatever path you decide to take, it will be far safer than driving fast on public roads.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  15. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #65 71Satisfaction, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Dave,

I started at 51, only 18 months ago. I'm a long term classic-car owner, but new to the track. I'm sure there are as many ways to enter the hobby as there are race series... here's my story;

Always considered myself a competent, attentive, deliberate driver. I started with my lightly modified $4,500 Alfa GTV6 joining a club in 2015 for an 8-hour day on a road course about an hour from me. Cost was $300. Track was the NYST in Harpersfield, NY. No training, just a safety and tech inspection then drive. The course is challenging 2 miles 18 turns 450ft elevation change.

The first few laps were frantic, confusing and embarrassing. Slow it down, take it easy, pay attention, and got some pointers from track staff and older club members. Did better, felt like I had a clue. Focused on learning "the line". Big improvement. I got nearly 3 hours of time on the track that day. Exhausting but loved it.

Last year, I went for 2 more full days (June and Sept), same club, same place. Much calmer, better, and improved my lap times tremendously. I continue to use my Alfa GTV6 and look forward to more this year.

It's too cliche to say "I wish I'd started it sooner" - now is just the right time for me. I've got a good car, the cost is relatively low, and I made friends with a local mechanic/racer who encouraged me and is sort of my mentor.

The thing is, there is tons of friendship and camaraderie among the club people, super helpful. I admit and make it clear I'm a total rookie and they are great. I signed up for and got some coaching, got a ride in other's phenomenal cars in exchange for rides in mine, got more advice & tips from my mentor and members of all different ages, cars and skill sets. I've now made more local friends and we support and lend eachother a hand.

I like the club's race format. The sessions on the track are against the clock, not against other cars. Passing is only by signal or on the straight. At the end of the day, lap times are posted and you see where you rank.

I stick with the same car at the same track for consistency, and I've improved my lap times every time I've gone out - it's a bit addicting - incremental improvements in tires, suspension and HP, I got a book on racing skills, watch YouTube videos demonstrating skill and techniques.

Maybe it's most fun being a rookie because you can improve the most, quickly. I video tape my sessions, try better lines, harder braking, harder throttle exits, better shift points. Some techniques I am able to practice at slow safe speeds on public roads while saving the speed for the track.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    - Art

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Thanks

You'll have a good time.
    The instructors that they have are good, listen to what they have to say.

and.....

The only per-requisite is knowing how to drive a stick, practice if it has been a while.

17. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

I'm going to book July 11th at NJ Motorsports:)

18. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I started at 47 and did it for 10 years. It can be affordable. I raced an ITB car for years, very competitive class and I had a budget of less than $5k annually, half of that was spent on tires.

I did retire at 57 because my Doc wouldn't sign my physical when he diagnosed me with A-fib. Turns out that isn't such a big deal and eventually he said he would sign it. But I never went back...took up boating instead.

19. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    So Dave,
    Circling back to this thread... did you ever get this idea off the ground, did you try a local track day...?
    Let us know what your thoughts on it are these days.. how are you doing..
    - Art

20. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I say you are never too old. I raced with SCCA back in the late sixties, couldn't work and race so I quit racing for 45 years! Now I'm back racing a vintage race car at 65 and having the time of my life. Oh to have had a better sponsor and money back in the day, I would never have quit!!

Bas and Manda racing like this.
  21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    ? Your math seems a little off.

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..or maybe he started racing again around 2015..

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I started racing when i was 20 did the Elf Winfield school, and did a season of French Formula Renault. that was in 1990. It also showed me I'm never going to be a professional at it. it takes desire and determination along with skill that I kind of had but needed to work a lot harder at it.. it's really work.... I wanted Racing to be fun. so I focused on my work and using racing as play - HPDE days and then about 5-6 years ago got into Karting. Its by far the best form of racing to me.... you don't have to qualify for SCCA licensing etc, its just as fun ...very competitive, and its relatively cheap, compared to cars. I also don't want to have to do all the track setup ... trailer a car, work on it all weekend do brakes clutch etc... all the mtns. to me that is what cost $$$ and time. With Karting i show up run and go home. and even if I had to take my cart to the track and work on it, its not as bad as a car... when I'm on track in a car I do miss it .. but the wear and tear you get in a kart is pretty much the same or more than car racing. not many cars are you going to pull a 1.5 g in a corner every time. sadly since last year taking care of my elderly parents who have now passed - i got out of regular Karting so when i go run my kart now ... I'm totally bushed. I mean 10 laps and I cant get out of the thing.. .its shocking how physical it is.... and how I've physically declined!

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Physicality is the best reason to race converted cars only 1g. Classes Racing on street tires is even easier and cheaper than single use race tires.

TestShoot and Manda racing like this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So long you're physically able to, go for it! No need to race 488 GTE's...you can have as much fun in say MX5 cup (miata cup in the States) at the fraction of the cost...you'll likely quickly find a group of guys that are at similar speed to you and have plenty of fun battles with them every race.