How much is the Ferrari Mondial really worth? | FerrariChat

How much is the Ferrari Mondial really worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by trendsetterx, Apr 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trendsetterx

trendsetterx Karting

May 15, 2007
    Deep south Texas
    Full Name:
    Raul Marquez
    I've decided to sale my Ferrari Mondial 3.2 cab so I can upgrade to a different newer Ferrari. I have had my car on eBay for several months with no succes. I have even started the bid at $24,900 with no luck. I feel giving the limited production of this model and all the sweet, love and cash, that my car is worth at least $40,000. Are these cars really worth less or just mine?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I hate to say but Mondials are only worth what the one person will pay.

Otherwise, think about your selling price (or how much you feel it's worth) and then think about what that amount can buy right now.

Unfortunately, there are too many options for cash buyers and that depreciates the values of our cars as well.

3. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you have a link to the auction? (even if it ended)

Sometimes I think it's presentation that makes a huge difference, especially when there are quite a few Mondials on ebay right now (most cabrio, but still).

Erik

4. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I looked for several months before purchasing my car. One thing I noticed is that cars priced in the $18-$20k range moved very quickly, while cars priced at $24k+ had typically been sitting for awhile. The first gen Mondial 8's don't seem to sell quickly unless they're under $18k.

The right buyer will understand how valuable the provenance and prior sorting is on these cars, and will be willing to pay for that. Given what it takes to keep these cars in good order I don't think a $24k asking price is steep. But a potential buyer who understands this is more rare than a buyer who is blindly looking for a "good deal" based on price alone.

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ANY object for sale is worth only what a buyer will pay. Mondial buyers are not
    at this time paying $40k to own one. Has NOTHING to do with what a Mondial
    is "really worth".

Jedi

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If his car is the one I think (black with red interior) it was well advertised and pictured. I have been watching it and was on my list of potential buy before I bought SERA. For me the drawback was the red interior. Other than that the car was appealing. I already own two red interior and one is a black car and I was looking for a tan interior. Sometimes it's just a matter of several facts together and presently the market has many to offer.

Good luck with the sale!

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your car is nice, but if I'm honest, when I was in the market to buy my car, I only wanted a rosso corsa with tan, yours is black but the red will definitely turn alot of people off. Not all cars are equal and colors are very important, especially to one as picky and detailed as a Ferrari buyer. You will have to wait for the right buyer to come along if you want your asking price. If you can't wait and have to sell, take the lost and move on, life is short ! The economy is what it is and there just ain't alot of people with disposable cash income around looking to buy a 20+ year old Ferrari these days. All the best !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    There was an article that said average selling price is 18K across the Mondial line. I was thinking of selling mine but for what I'd get for it I'd rather just keep it. I saw a couple decent 3.2 cabs go for 21K. I paid 23K for mine 3 years ago and I thought it was a deal then. Guess the market for these has gotten worse? Below 20K I think we can part them out? I'd rather put mine in a barn that take less than 20K for it unless in hard duress.

The positive spin is that these are great cars and reliable once sorted. I'm a huge fan of mine and can't see ever parting with it now. A lot of newer cars have more issues than ours have.

On mine the leather is good, it has a new top and all SRI hoses. I just need more time to drive it.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    First, you are not "upgrading." Your just going sideways. I've driven just about every regular production Ferrari and currently own a Testarossa. Of all the cars I have ever or will ever own, selling the Mondial will rank as one of my biggest mistakes. Don't take the Mondial's virtues for granted. It is an elegant, understated, four seat mid-engined italian dream. It has all the Ferrari virtues while giving a nod to practicality.

When it comes to selling one of these cars, like any luxury item, it takes time and getting your car before the right audience. Try Ferrari Market Letter, Ferrariads, and contacting some exotic car brokers. I sold my car in 4 days for a fair price. There are buyers for these cars, you just have to position your car before them and then be patient.

Just my worthless .02

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    VERY well said, Joe. As I said above - just because the market is not willing to pay
    $40k for a Mondy has NOTHING to do with what the car is really worth.

Jedi

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm actually a big fan of the red interior, hopefully you find someone in the market that is too.

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #12 hank sound, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    The Mondial is an angel. She is covered in steel, paint and aftermarket waxes and polish. She is adored, cherished and even driven by some, to the RPM limits of automotive technology.

As for "the market" - - I'm not remotely interested in the "ebb and flow" of market "$" perceptions. When i bought Rachel, Dinos were at $75,000. Look at them now.

One day, whether Rachel is with me - or not, I truly believe that she, and other of her breed, will be certainly, one of the queens of automotive events world wide.

Yes - by some, Mondials may be perceived as mere princesses. just wait and see......................

Happy Passover & Happy Easter

Hank

13. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I passed on the first Mondial I looked at because the car had red carpet, with a tan interior. The red was a turn-off. In hindsight, the car was perfect, I should have bought her and changed the carpet. Live and learn.

If a few thousand won't harm the OP, just price it at the bottom end of the market and move her, if that's what you want. Peak selling time is now - come end of summer and prices will be even lower.

Erik

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Apr 8, 2012
    Same here... now.

When I was looking for a Mondial it had to be a black/tan 3.2 Coupe. and it took me 5 years to find the right one. However, it has a red interior which, to me, adds to the character of this particular car.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I'd suggest Ferrari Market Letter. Classified advertisments from current subscribers offering Ferraris for sale are published free of charge, appear in six consecutive issues. It's a neat publication that is printed bi-weekly.

IMHO

Joe

17. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    If your car won't sell, it's meant to be. Someone is trying to tell you to enjoy it yourself. My mondial still gives me incredible pleasure. I plan to drive it everyday this week. And smile.

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Mondials are typically the 1st Ferrari purchased by the owner. Reading about how "cheap Ferrari's are the most expensive" is lost on everyone except actual owners.

My first Mondial Qv was 19k. Black/tan coupe just like i wanted. Even came with 16" HRE's!
    (should have kept those!) This car in pics online looked awesome!
    But after living with it the bug really took hold. Wanting to return it to its former glory i realized would be Way too much $$.

Saw my 88 3.2 for sale for sale on Ebay and agreed on $27.5. Still as most do it needed a cash infusion.
    Quickly selling my Qv to a dealer recouping my 19k was the most money i ever made on a car, because it kept me from what would have been an upside down adventure.

19. trendsetterx

trendsetterx Karting

May 15, 2007
    Deep south Texas
    Full Name:
    Raul Marquez
    I think at $22-23k my car will sale quick, but I also felt that at $25k my car would of sold quickly as well. I guess it's going to come down to how bad do I really want to get a different Ferrari. I always want to owned all Ferraris but realistically I can only own 1 at a time. Unfortunately time, cash, garage size and wife play a part on my dream. The wife says I obsess too much on that car more than her and the family.

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    A common wife complaint. As far as i'm concerned, since I don't require my wife to work, as long as i take care of her needs and some of her wants, she has no reason to complain. She is next in line for a new car and the object of her desire is more than i spent on my Fcar.

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #21 soucorp, Apr 9, 2012
    Hey Ted, since she is next on the new car list, how about introducing her to a nice 360 spider, win/win and plenty of shopping bag space under the hood.

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    yea, um, nya i don't think so. We have 3 babies, if i could convince her to put them in a pull behind radio flyer, then maybe.

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 soucorp, Apr 9, 2012
    It was worth a try, a limo perhaps? lol, just need to throw out the bar, and put in cribs and a play area!

24. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    jesus. thats just bad.

25. trendsetterx

trendsetterx Karting

May 15, 2007
    Deep south Texas
    Full Name:
    Raul Marquez
    I love the 360 spider, I think the wife would definitely divorce me if I would bring another horse to the Stall.