How much does it cost to maintain your 599 GTB? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How much does it cost to maintain your 599 GTB?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rudy599, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    The reality is if that overused statement were true and put into use with most possessions in life one would never be able to afford a Ferrari because they blew too much money never asking or caring about what things cost. I think the majority of people that chose to buy a Ferrari’s greatly value the money they earned and value something special. Those same people just don’t turn around and say “ i don’t ask how much maintenance costs“ after they just researched the hell out of what was just purchased.
    My second most hated statement. “The car is for sale but I really don’t need to sell it.” Lol.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Glad I could help give you something to whine about.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    With a Ferrari it isn't IF it will give you a $10K bill but when is the next one.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well the OP could have bought a new 812 and then complain about the $90k depreciation in the first year. I guess the trade off is cheap to buy, expensive to repair, or expensive to buy but cheap to repair because it's all covered in annual maintenance and warranty but watch out for that depreciation.

LOL! Ferrari isn't cheap to own, most exotics aren't.

Skidkid and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  5. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Yes, it give you something to wine about, so open a bottle and enjoy it while you can.

6. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Curious. May I ask why this particular saying is so bothersome?

Mike

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It would be interesting to hear his answer but I find it is bothersome to people who think if it is for sale the buyer has all of the power. IE: The seller has to take my offer. HEY, why aren't you taking my offer.
    They forget that "have to sell" and "want to sell" are different things. AND, they conveniently forget that the definition of market value is willing seller and willing buyer when neither one is compelled to act.

8. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    Hi Mike
    That saying is bothersome because it’s a saying but it really says nothing. If you put something up for sale it’s irrelevant if you have to, want to or care to sell it. Its just common sense if something is for sale maybe that person actually should want to sell it. Starting a possible sales transaction by saying something like “ I don’t need to sell it” doesn’t have any bearing on a possible transaction. Would I pay more or less if someone told me that? The focus is on the car and it’s merits, why would the owners personal situation make one bit if difference. It seems like wasted words when I hear that. How would you like going to buy a TV and the sales guys says “ we really don’t need to sell this”. It’s just comes across poorly and doesn’t help either party. Just a personal observation and by no means am I selling my opinion as correct. It’s no different than going to look at a car and me saying “I don’t need to buy it. Well, no crap. It’s being adversarial when you are trying to bring two parties together to accomplish something. Not sure that makes sense to you but that’s my best effort.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand, and thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful response. Respectfully, I would however, push back a bit. 'I don't need to sell it' is also a euphemism, and less-douchey way to day 'please don't waste my time if you're not a serious buyer'. I asked because I had just told someone who had inquired about my F12 (which I'd sell, but isn't listed for sale) that I don't need to sell it, so that if I don't get strong money, I'm not going to sell it. I wasn't being arrogant or flippant, and I wasnt bluffing. I own the car outright, and don't need the garage space or the money, and if the buyer is even just a few grand shy of what I want for it, I'm not going to sell. It does matter if someone 'needs' to sell, which is why some people will actually day so in their ads. Let me ask you- would you rather negotiate with someone who needs your money, or someone who doesn't?- I think the answer is pretty clear. I'm a fairly busy guy, so I like to make sure that a potential buyer and I are seeingbeye to eye asap, so neither of us waste the other's time. I don't know how much stuff you buy and sell (I've been doing it basically 24/ for 26 years, and many hours a week for years before that), but there are a lot of tire-kicking time vampires out there, and it's always best to send 'em on their way ASAP.

Regards

Mike

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    I buy based on merit. I hunt patiently until I find what’s important to me. Im the guy that looks under the car before I go inside because that story is far more telling. I would be very hesitant to pursue anyone who said they had to sell. It’s a red flag to me. The risk of an unknown and neglected repair being hidden are too great for me to have any desire to press forward with a “have it sell” seller that can’t keep the car. I would never pursue that type of deal because it’s a deal that will cost you on the back side.
    I didn’t know you didn’t have it advertised. I have had similar experiences and I just politely say “ no thank you “I don’t want to sell it right now. I feel very fortunate to own these cars and it’s important for me to be as humble and thankful as possible if someone is pushing in a direction I don’t want to pursue. I think you and I are trying to get to the same place, just different an equal ways of articulating the same message.
    As a note. I bought my ford gt after the ferrari sales person wouldn’t get off his chair to unlock and show me a 430 coupe because I was in cargo shorts and an old t shirt. Easily mistaken as a waste of time and clearly sent me on my way feeling pretty bad. It takes no extra time to be nice and has the benefit of making others feel good.

jimshadow and Makuono like this.
  11. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Bought my 2007 599 with 14,000 miles several months ago. Living with a few problems but is s glorious machine to driver. Has sticky switches, carbon seat backs and top of the steering wheel surround, but elbow grease has made them livable. Back light on tach not working, but will just wait and see what happens. Found tie rod ends and lower ball joint boots had all ripped, so replaced all. Shocks not leaking. All of the little things do not worry me. I am going to enjoy this gorgeous rocket ship and take what comes. Porsche drivers know who is the boss.

Texas Forever and Makuono like this.
  12. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    TM328-- great story. Like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman saying "big mistake, huge mistake" to the idiot sales person who ignored her, while walking out of the store with $10,000 in goods.

TM328 likes this.
  13. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    Yea. A lot easier to swallow when the GT value took off. Still want a 430 coupe but the 599 keeps calling as just as a screaming deal and not as many delicate parts like the 430. You almost never hear of clutch replacement or major issues with 599’s. Does anyone see the 599 v12 engine as drastically different maintaining than the v8’s from the same era? I find both cars very appealing for different reasons.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is bad luck to fix everything on a Ferrari. You have been warned.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have had both and there is no comparison. If I knew then what I know now I would have skipped the V8 and just manned up for the V12. Life changes has me considering selling but I just can't bring myself to part with the 599 yet even thought it is the smart move for our life plan.

TM328 likes this.
  16. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    What do you personally like about the car? I drove a 430 coupe and I liked the lightness and the raw go kart nimbleness. I drove the 599 and was more impressed with the interior quality, sound, elegance and feel. The car drove very nice but didn’t make me want to get the back end loose like I did with the 430. Twelve cylinders is somewhat intimidating but I can’t tell you why because I don’t know.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I had a 360 for 12 years and I have driven several 430s. All you said about fit & finish is true. Plus, there is no comparison in the power or delivery. The 599 can be comfortable and civilized but if you put the hammer down it is a true monster. Grab a gear at redline when going 100 and it will break the rear end loose; you just can't get that from a 430. The 599 is very sophisticated in appearance and refined, the 430 is flashy and overt. The 430 is a bit of a one trick pony; it is very fun to drive but it is only a sports car. The 599 can be many different things and it does them all well. If I were looking to track a car a lot, sure the 430 has the edge. It is the 599 all the way if you are going to drive it on streets, a date or date night, club drives when you want the other half to join, a very spirited drive, etc. It is literally the most amazing car I have ever owned and it makes me happy every day. Admittedly, I have an HGTE and the straight GTB is more subdued.

18. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I’ve owned both and I never really liked the view of the 430 directly at the front. I’m not sure why but like the 599 more due to the room anyway.

19. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

I was completely unaware of this too until I bought a BMW from Park Lane London diplomatic sales division. I’d received the full options list previously from a regular BMW dealer and knew which options I wanted. Either way, when it came to buying the car I bought for export and was directed to Park Lane. The list of options available was much longer and included “tropical climate pack”. After researching this it was a larger radiator, different fan, aluminum thermostat housing and some specific air ducting. I took that option based upon where the car was to be based. Maybe it wasn’t the case with the 599, I have no idea. What I do know is that you won’t be shown these options in certain countries because the manufacturers simply don’t offer them for that market.

20. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    I had a similar experience at Miller Motorcars in Greenwich where the salesman wouldn't let me try on the driver's seat of a La Ferrari. Didn't even bother to clue him that I have a have owned a 250GTO, a 288 GTO, 3 BBLM's, scores of BB 512's, so I just walked out.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sell the 599 and move on to an F12. Totally different ballgame. The DCT era cars are much, much more reliable. Are issue non-existent? No, but they are much fewer and far apart. The F12 does not have issues with suspension, does not wear a clutch etc. It's reliable like a modern car.

This is why I always tell people to get a DCT era car as their first Ferrari.

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    While there is something to be said for that, I do LOVE my 599. Nothing else quite like it.

Nine9Three, 599_GTO and Zaza like this.