How many GTO's (1960's) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many GTO's (1960's)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bostonmini, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joopjoldersma

joopjoldersma Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Joop Joldersma

Thanks for the update. I will amend my info/sources.

Joop

2. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #52 urraco, Mar 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aaaaagggh nobody believes me , there was a 250 GTO in my local repair garage does anyone know if any mexican guy owns or had owned one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    There is one GTO in Mexican ownership. It is normally kept in the United States, and is VERY unlikely to have been in a "repair garage" in Mexico. My guess is that this car was a replica, particularly if it was the 1962/63 body style. Still....

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    you see? nobody believes me ,actually I lifted it's hood and counted 12 pipes and after that some guy started it's engine and I can tell it wasn't a replica no way! then I asked the garage's owner if he was aware of that's car value and answered ..... too expensive about 50 grand. everytime I recall that it makes me suffer.

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#56 Bryan, Mar 31, 2004
    There are plenty of replicas with 12 cylinder engines and something approaching a Ferrari sound.

Unless you saw this 50 grand GTO in the 70s, this was a replica. EVERY 250 GTO is well accounted for. Value is a bit meaningles since they change hands so infrequently.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Urraco, look, listen and learn:

Check out this link. This is a replica GTO built using components of less valuable Ferraris. Even this replica will change hands in the $200,000 range. Actual GTOs are currently valued from the high 7-figures to low 8-figures (yes, millions).

My guess is that the car you saw was a replica, similar to the eBay car in my link and that the garage's owner was either brushing you off or had no idea how much the car was worth.

8. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Boudewijn has it 100% CORRECT. Only 39 250 GTO.

NONE of the other cars often cited as 250 GTOs can be considered as 250 GTOs because:

(A) They were NOT 250s (i.e. 3-liters)

(B) They were NOT GTOs (i.e. Gran Turismo Omologato).

Ciao,
    Gerald

9. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    first of all I want to tell Wayne how much I respect him for being such a connoiseur ferraristi and very knowledgable I can tell by reading all your interesting posts. then About the link you posted of that replica , I had seen it before and that's just out of my mind or beyond me ,How come a replica wear another F- engine that replica is a whole issue and not to mention it's price (it makes no sense to me since a replica's goal is to be a cheap version ) but you must admit the fact that even a big ferrariphile like you would be fooled in front of that fake ,now back to the 250 GOT i saw in my town, it is very unlikely that a mexican guy can afford that level of quality building a replica ( I know cos I'm a replica owner myself) and speaking of mexican Ferraris just check out what car took best of show at Pebble Beach 2000: a 166MM Touring Barchetta owned by a mexican collector named Lorenzo Zambrano who also had a third place in the 2003 edition but I don't remember which of his cars it was this time. if you have that data let me know.(probably "My" car has been a winner these past few years too the repair guy told me it went to pebble beach the very first time I heard of that place then) So I just want to point out that it was an actual one out of 39 GTO the one I spot some 5 years ago the thing is at that time I had no idea of how collectible and expensice it was thus I didn't check it's vin # and I have a poor pic which soon I'll post just for you guys to tell me if it was the real thing. in the meantime help me find out which car it maybe is

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very interesting point about (i.e. Gran Turismo Omologato)
    Now here's a question for you and Dave. If I can get Ferrari to make me a US legal MC12 can I call it a GTO or not as it won't be one of the first 25 which are Euro Spec only and I guess those technically are the ones that will make the Maser/Enzo hologamated?
    :)
    Best
    Jim

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sorry to barge in, 'Napolis, but have the 1st (25 in '04) and 2nd (25 in '05) series already sold out?

12. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #62 urraco, Apr 9, 2004
    Look these are the mexican owned Ferraris I was talking about ,First comes the Barchetta which took best of show 2000 (as stated on Forza 26 page 62) and the other (340 Mexico 1952) was third prize in Class - M 2003 both are owned by the same guy (Lorenzo Zambrano) among several other vintage F- & other brands. now is it possible to believe me?

13. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Hi Urraco,

Lorenzo Zambrano never had a 250 GTO. However he did have and has a lot of others:
    Had: 342 America #0248AL
    340 America #0082A
    250 GT TdF Zagato #0515GT
    166 S #020I
    Has: 340 Mexico #0228 AT
    250 S #0156ET
    166 MM #0058M
    250 GT TdF #0557GT
    250 MM #0292MM
    250 SWB #1539GT
    250 GT Speciale #2821GT
    250 SWB Bertone #3269GT

14. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Boudewijn,

Are you certain Zambrano owns 0292 M (proper designation from the assembly sheets)? First, 0292 is a 212 and has never been a 250 MM, in spite of Brocket's claims that it was the 250 MM prototype, etc. (DeCadenet based the statements about this car in "Victory By Design" on Brocket's claims, and was almost totally incorrect.) The car was bastardized in Italy with incorrect reproduction four-barrel Webers when it was first "restored", but no one ever bothered to redo the engine to 250 specs. It's still a 212.

Second, 0292 M has been in the U.S. for several years, undergoing a correct restoration for its U.S. owner (who is definitely not Zambrano). I haven't really kept up with the car, but haven't heard that it was sold.

The story of 0239 EU (the original designation of 0292) has been a bit confusing, with a 250 MM Pf berlinetta now bearing that designation after a bit of number-swapping at the factory. Are you thinking of that car? It was never 0292, but was originally numbered 0354 (I think -- Gerald?).

Anyway...I'm prettty certain this is not 0292 M.

Regards,

Old Guy

15. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Jim --

The real answer, I suppose, is that if you get one, congratulations. It'll be whatever the specs dictate and Berro chooses to call it. :)
    O.G.

16. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    You are right Old Guy, I meant 0239EU shown at Pebble Beach 2002 and apparently claimed to be 0292 at the moment.

Best
    Boudewijn

17. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    someone once said that Phil Hill is a Ferrari Chat member is that true Old Guy?

18. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    It is not true.

19. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Okay, the story of 0239 and 0292 and 0352 gets pretty confusing and it is too late tonight to try and explain it BUT the 250 MM that Lorenzo Zambrano owns was originally scheduled to be given S/N 0352 MM but was restamped as S/N 0239 EU for some reason, most probably to avoid import taxes.

Of course when it comes to these early cars and the factory number swapping that went on one must decide what number to use to designate the car.

The preferred nomenclature among serious historians is to use the number it was ORIGINALLY assigned, not necessarily the number that was actually stamped on the chass and engine.

Ciao,
    Gerald

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    A lot of you fellas already know this, but . . . to expound on the last line of Gerald's post - Because Ferrari sometimes (1) stamped a new car with an older number and (2) replaced a serial number (and chassis stamp) on an existing car with a new number, I believe the convention that Ferrari researchers use (so we all don't go insane) is the following example:

0556(0446)MD - we call the car this because it was made in between 0554 and 0558 in the first week of May 1955. 0556 reflects the number it would have received in the normal progression of manufacturing at Ferrari. 0446 is the number that the car actually carries on its s/n plate (and chassis) even though 0446 was originally worn by a 735S made in the summer of 1954.

As Gerald hinted, Ferrari did this to help good Ferrari customers avoid certain tax and transport issues (when crossing international borders). My understanding is that each vehicle crossing a border had to go through "carnet" (pr. car-nay), the process of making sure a vehicle matched the description (s/n) on its owenrship/registration papers.
    So when Mr. Picard turned in his 735S to Ferrari for a new Series II 500 Mondial, as far as the French government was concerned, the car that left France was numbered 0446 and the car that came back into France when he returned was also 0446. The new car gets through carnet w/ no problem and Mr. Picard does not pay any new taxes.

That's what I call customer service . .

21. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Here is the story of 0239 EU (0292 MM) as I know it.

Car 0239 EU was completed by Ferrari in September 1952 and was a Vignale Coupe. It was sold to Efrain Ruiz Echeverria of Mexico in October 1952 and he raced it in the 1952 Carrera Panamericana with Pedro Villegas as his co-driver. They were on race #5 and DNF due to an accident.

In July 1953 Echeverria traded the car back to the factory against a new 250 MM Pinin Farina berlinetta. At that time Echeverria's new 250 MM was given the serial number 0239 EU probably to avoid import problems and custom duties.

0239 EU was then restamped as 0292 MM. It then passed through a number of hands (I have 13 subsequent owner's names) and a couple of restorations including Lord Brocket's fanciful remake into something it never was along with a new provenance.

But the bottom line is the car is and always has been a 212, has always been a Vignale coupe, is 0239 EU restamped as 0292 MM and is properly referred to as 0239 EU (0292 MM).

Ciao,
    Gerald

22. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug
    Hello
    where have you seen this nice picture published?

Thanks

23. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #73 urraco, Apr 15, 2004
    a poor picture I took about 6 years ago at that time I was unaware of the importance of this car so I only took this one, but how to find out if it's a replica? Old Guy (in this thread) said one of the 39 GTO is in mexican ownership . any further info?

24. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Hi Urraco,
    No doubt it is a replica: a.o. wrong nose, wrong lower front ligts.
    Best
    Boudewijn

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    This will be, I hope, the most comprehensive post. I shall then post each of the GTOs and describe them and some of their history (and I can add more historical information if you would like to ask me about a specific s/n). The information that I have collected is accurate as of about 5 years ago, and I know at least one if not more have changed hands since.

During 1962 - 1964 36 GTOs left the facotry. 32 had Series one body, one ressembling the 330 LM belinetta, three with series II body. Four cars with the series one body were rebodied in the 1964 style.

Of the 36 cars produced, 28 were left hand drive.

In addition to the series of GTOs, Ferrari also produced 3 4-liter vairiants, one of which was retro-fitted with the 3-liter engine to compete in the under 3-liter class with its Italian owner.
    In addition to THESE was a series of four Pininfarina-designed 330LM berlinettas that had GTO like nose profile and tails like the Lusso.