How many 348 Challenge cars were made | FerrariChat

How many 348 Challenge cars were made

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 87testa, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Being a recent 348 Challenge car owner I was wondering how many were made in total i.e. factory challenge cars, conversions etc and how many come with race history. I would imagine the total number is around 100 but I will let the experts chime in.

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    From my understanding

32 TB's and 13 TS's

I am sure others were converted for race at some time

Congrats on the car post up a picture :)

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Correct, so far as I know, but: (1) some of the "Factory" Challenge cars never had the full race equipment installed and weren't raced; and (2) as I recall, most of the raced examples were not "Factory" Challenge cars, but rather earlier cars.
    I've owned one of each (a 1994 Factory tb Challenge- #098791, and a 1993 tb/ss Challenge- #094285. Still have the Factory Challenge car- Grigio Met. (the only grey one) w/red interior.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #4 sherpa23, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    As stated, only 45 cars were built at the factory as Challenge cars: 13 TS and 32 TB cars.

I have spoken to several guys who raced the cars in period (and went to World Finals) and they have all said that the factory built cars had some advantages over the dealer converted cars as they were built a little differently at the factory. However, some or all of the Italian drivers had their cars converted at Michelotto and apparently, the Michelotto cars have a serious power advantage over the others (I was told 20 hp by some and 30 hp by others).

There is a lot of controversy as to which is "best" but there are very few unraced (and thus well preserved) Challenge cars that have all of the Challenge kit. To me, and this is just my opinion, that's very desirable and that's what I looked for and bought. I don't use it for track days but I have used it for rallies, which is the perfect use for such a car.

5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Out of the 348 Challenge cars, Michelotto cars with period race history are most interesting to me. Would love to know more about those.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have talked to about 10 drivers from that period, including the guys who raced into the 355 and 360 Challenge era, as well as Franco Meiners, and this is what I've gathered.

1) The factory built Challenge cars, which were only for the US, have a lot about them that are different. Other than the motor, they are very close to the 50 Competizione cars (the street cars, not the competition cars) made for ROW. That said, they differ from the remainder of the US cars in many ways, including 355 suspension geometry, composite bumpers (which were not announced as they were not exactly DOT compliant), different motor builds, and handful of other changes. They are more durable and better performing than the converted non-factory built challenge cars.

2) Some of the converted Italian cars (and some other countries) were converted at Michelotto. These cars, when all compared at the World Finals, were by far the fastest cars. At least one of the Factory built US TB's (please don't ask me to divulge which one) was sent to Michelotto after the World Finals for a similar "treatment." I don't know the extent of what was changed but supposedly, it came back much faster afterward. My understanding is that improvements centered mostly around the motor. I don't know the costs but I'm sure they were commensurate with typical Michelotto pricing policy.

7. Historic F1

Historic F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    #7 Historic F1, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello guys. I recently purchased vin #zffrg35a3p0095820 Ferrari challenge car and #91/100 Serie Speciale. I have no info on this car and would really appreciate some help from the experts on here as to any info on the car/history/drivers. Anything would be greatly appreciated. It does have all of the Challenge car parts. This is is picture of her on our dyno. I really do love her! Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and DeadLock1977 like this.
  8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Thanks. I'll look into the Michelotto Challenge cars a bit more.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #9 SoCal1, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Love the yellow wheels, never thought of that I have white on mine.

Do you have more pics of the interior so we can see that mods and whats OEM?
    Whats on the decklid?

Heres my Nuclear Banana with white rims, I may go yellow now after seeing yours
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #10 Robb, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    This is all great information on their history. I have been adding serial numbers, drivers, and teams from the 348 challenge series along with the F355 challenge cars based on official race records from Ferrari s.p.a.

Happy to post my information when complete. For example, in the 1995 series, there were (34) different 348 challenge cars that raced (competed) in the North American (US) series alone. That does not include cars in Europe or Japan that raced or cars worldwide that never raced. In 1996 there were an additional 9 drivers added that in the U.S. did not compete the previous year. Then there will be cars in the European/Italian series as well as the Japanese series of 348 challenge for each of the years for '93 to '96. I think a little over (100) 348 challenge worldwide is likely by the time we get it all totaled up.

So while I agree there are special ID plates on many 348 challenge cars, in typical Ferrari fashion, all is not as obvious with the numbers until we dig a little deeper. :)

Hopefully this information will be viewed as helpful to most enthusiasts and owners pinning down actual data from the series history.

I'd like to submit articles to Cavallino and Forza magazines to unveil the findings so they have the option of correcting any old information or myths assisting those buying, selling, and celebrating these cool cars. We owe it to all to get it right.

Robb

11. Historic F1

Historic F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks Tim. I actually like the white ones on yours. Yours looks to be in super nice condition! I don't have any pics but I will try and get some up. But it does have all the parts from the Challenge "kit" Steering wheel. Kill switch. Exhaust. Brakes/ducting/suspension. Full roll bar. Correct omp seats with the tags on them. Fire extinguisher. Badging. Speedlines. The interior is pretty much a gutted race car. But I love her so.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Very cool
    I am in search of brake ducting fr and rear. mine were ripped off

13. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    The "Michelotto" upgrade was what was called the 348H

much Larger plenum, reworked cylinder heads and cams.

New ecu set.

We did the modification at FNA to the Factory demo car CN# 93849

Regards, Jim

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Thanks, Jim. Was this recognized and accepted by the Challenge Series rules/sanctioning bodies at that time? From this thread, it seems the case in Italy. But how about for other locations?

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If you ever see any of these parts for sale please think of me

Anywhere near Long Pond Road?

:)

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have the H Plenum. Found a new one in Europe last year. Brought it back in my carry-on. Now that was a serious feat of engineering.

17. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Have you tried Eurospares? When I owned my 348 CH, I found them to be one of the best sources for OEM 348 Challenge parts. That said, just because they show parts available on their web site doesn't mean it's true. Assume that for any Challenge part that you'll need to call for availability.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Stop your killing me I need some of these parts

Anything you want to get rid of MEEE FIRST

I have parts and cash LOL :)

19. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    How many in Europe?

20. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think there are around 100 348 Challenge cars in the world including factory cars, converted cars and those with race history.

21. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Only 100? Could be, They raced Only in '93 and '94 ('95 also?).

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, 1995 also. And 1996.

23. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    With only 100 Cars?

24. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    We know for sure that the factory produced 32 Tb and 13 TS factory Challenge 348's.

We will then have to speculate how many 348's were converted by the dealers with the factory conversion kits.

I think the number is around 100-150 max. If anyone has better concrete information it would be a great insight.

Then if we look at race history not all of the above were used in the Challenge series and I think there are only around 100 with race history.

25. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Great Info, thank you, very Interesting!