How many 308 GT4's left??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many 308 GT4's left???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rmdferrari, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Thanks Jonathan for your clarification.

I can to an extent understand Matthias's problem. When is a car destroyed? We all know about Mike Sheehan's cars built up around an original tach needle and while this is unlikely to happen with 308 GT4s at this stage, who knows about what will happen in 50 years?

Escalating values lead to total wrecks being reborne as 100 pt concours cars and can you imageine the potential for litigation if a car is adjudged as dead, when it subsequently appears?

I am always reluctant to talk about your database. I know how many hundreds of hours you have put into building it and it is your choice alone to whom you share data with.

John

2. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think it's a shame to be so secretive. Most of us with a genuine interest in these cars are not trying to make money out of it! I am starting to remember why I stopped renewing my FOC membership now.

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you mean. John was being courteous in suggesting it was for me to talk about the data I have rather than him. It isn't a secret and it wouldn't be possible to maintain any sort of sensible database without a lot of help from a lot of people. All the time and effort I have put into the data I have has been my own, freely given, and I have never sought to make money from it. That said, of course, some information is given to me in confidence and therefore, necessarily out of respect for that, I am careful with what I then pass on publically. Not everyone wants their car details all over the Internet.

Your last sentence is a total non-sequitur since neither myself nor John have mentioned the FOC so I can see no relevance whatsoever.

I have stated that I am putting time into trying to get the best numbers that I can for cars remaining and that I will make that information public in due course when I have got far enough. Although, quite frankly, I often wonder why I bother with such things. If you don't like the way I go about it you are entirely at liberty to do it yourself.

Jonathan

4. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    ^^^

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Not sure how helpful your quoting a 2007 post is - back then Tony Blair was still Prime Minister.......the world has moved on in many ways

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ha! Very true.

Jonathan

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looking through the excellent 308 GTB Register for steel/vetro cars,it seems approx 50-60 % of the 211/154 total UK production are listed on that site. Of course there may be more still surviving. (i didn't round get to counting the USA/Europe numbers)

Welcome to the 308 GTB Register

8. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Jonathan, I fully understand your position.

But I have question.
    Sometime, the names of former owner of a car appeared on UK advertising. ( surprising to me ). But it sound like a secret to publish the s/n in UK....

Could you enlighten me ?

Bertrand

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Bertrand,

In some countries, the USA especially, it is quite normal to advertise cars with chassis numbers. In Europe generally, including the UK, that is not usual (although it does happen sometimes). I don't think the UK is much different to France or Germany in that respect. As you rightly say, occasionally some adverts mention previous owners although it isn't usual. Some people do worry it is a security risk although I'm not sure exactly why they think that.

Generally my view is that it is not for me to decide to make public other people's ownership information or the details of their cars. That is for the owners to decide. Besides, I think it is quite boring and most people aren't interested anyway. But things you can derive from the data - like how many left or how many in a particular colour or whatever - quite often get asked and generally I can see no issue with making that sort of information public where I can help to answer it.

I hope that helps

Jonathan

10. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Jonathan,

I don't refer to what YOU do. But generally to those I see.

I looking for information and car advertising is one of source. As you said, in USA most of the time the chassis number is disclose.
    In France, step by step ( for older Ferrari ) this is done more and more often.

But, it seems to me that is almost never in UK. So, I just want to know why.
    May be just a matter of culture ......

Bertrand

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I don't really understand your point, some things change and some don't.

If the situation's changed then why not say so, rather than trying to deny it ever was?

12. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Thank you Jonathan. That was precisely my point.

As you well know, but others may not, for many years the FOC published a register listing details of most cars and past/present owners, at one time even including addresses. There was always the facility for individuals to withold their details but few chose to.

By the early 90s, there was an increasing reluctance to have details made public for security and publicity reasons - owners of some cars were bombarded by speculators or traders trying to acquire their cars. It was therefore decided to cease production of a new register, although JT spent many hours correcting the original database and adding new material.

Separately, and privately, Jonathan and others have built up databases on individual models or Ferrari in general, with no thought of financial gain but, on the other hand, investing an enormous amount of time and money - rare Ferraris have to be found, as they are not common on Surrey roads!

My personal view is that it is solely up to the data gatherer whether they choose to share information and with whom. No one has a right to access another's data but many, including Joanathan, usually respond positively to specific questions which do not compromise another's desire for privacy.

The blunt answer is that if you want to build up a comprehensive database, do it yourself!

13. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    OK I get it. So I have decided now that no one will get any further details about my car. If information freely given is not freely shared then I am not interested.

14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That's fine by me and exactly my point of view. The owner of the car should get to decide what they wish to share and what they don't. Not me. The data is not mine. What is mine is what I derive from the raw data through my efforts (e.g. how many in what colour etc.). Only that is mine to choose to share (or not) and with whom.

Jonathan

15. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Agreed JT

You have always been generous in sharing basic data information when asked for specifics. I am also sure you would not post any "how many are left" type analyses unless you were sure you were pretty correct.

F

16. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Hi Jonathan do you have any details of previous owners of my 1973 365gt4?

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I do, but if you haven't already done so, the best option is to contact the DVLA. You need to complete form V888 to request copies of everything they have on file for your car which should include names and addresses of all previous owners. There is a fee (still £5, I think) and you have to give a reason for wanting the information. Researching the history of a car you own is an acceptable reason. You can download the form from here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

Separately, and again if you haven't already done so, you can get copies of the original order and other paperwork from Tony Willis at Maranello Concessionaires Archive. There will be a charge.

Jonathan