How many 308 GT4's left??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many 308 GT4's left???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rmdferrari, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark 308 gt4

Mark 308 gt4 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    West London
    Full Name:
    Mark Taviner
    FOC did not reply to my email, still it looks like we have as much info as we are going to get.

With regards to us all getting together, I will look for a meeting place but it must be about the same distance to us all.
    I will start a new thread when I have located one. I know Nick will be up for it!

Regards
    Mark

2. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    You can put mine as still being on the road, was originally silver now yellow chassis no 13596. I am not a current FOC member I have a problem with the Subs they charge for not a great return!!!!
    I also know of a 2 seater gt4 in Lincolnshire as well.

3. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    :D... you've seen through my cunning plan, Jules. ;)
    Way too high Dan.... need to factor in desirability and if something's worth saving, which unfortunately GT4's haven't been for years!
    Jonathan Tremlett is the FOC numbers fellow, as he's stated above.:)
    Cheers Gav. You'll be up for a GT4 meet too?

So, anyway.....to our quest:

Total RHD GT4's: 547 Total RHD GTB/S's: 974

Total GT4's @ Silverstone 14 Total GTB/S's @ Silverstone 38

DVLA suggest 651 of all 308 tipos still remain on UK roads from a combined production total of 1521 RHD.

Assuming the same proportion of GT4 owners and GTB/S owners went to Silverstone, does this give us a pointer of how many of the 651 on UK roads are GT4's? My reasoning is, a GT4 owner is as likely to attend this National FOC event (and be a member) as a GTB/S owner, so out of 52 308 tipos @ Silverstone, what % is GT4 to GTB/S. Then if we apply the same % to the 651 left on the road we come pretty close to the GT4 still on the road, plus a guesstimate for non-FOC members.

I can't count for toffee, can someone else do the numbers please?

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    This is yet another reponse re the DVLA database,

"I’m afraid that Ferrari model is not specified in the DVLA data we hold. The only Ferrari models we have are as follows:

360 MODENA
    575 SUPERAMERICA
    575 SUPERAMERICA F1A
    575M MARANELLO
    599 GTB FIORANO
    599 GTB FIORANO F1
    612 SCAGLIETTI
    F430
    F430 F1
    F430 SPIDER
    F430 SPIDER F1
    UNSPEC
    "

I'm up for a meet anytime!!

i have also asked the other data supplier to run the same check but exclude the GTB and GTS.
    Cheers
    Nick

5. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So, the DVLA only hold records back to 360 era eh??? How come they want bloody road tax off me? :( I 'spose we could be in "UNSPEC" group.

Springtime meet up, or earlier if there's enough interest.

Anyone care to have a crack at the % question I posed above?

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Richard
    I work it out to 26.92% which would equate to 147 cars left However, if you equal the number of cars i.e. make the same numbers of GT4s made as GTB/S that would mean there were 21.8624 GT4s at Silverstone equating to 227.87 cars left on the road

I would summise that the true answer is somewhere between 150 and 250, which is where we were at the beginning with no data!

Cheers
    Nick

7. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Nick....That just confirms we are genius's. :D Interested to see what other replies you get though. :)

8. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    All in a spreadsheet!!

9. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Impressed.... I was using a pen and paper..:(

10. Kevlari

Kevlari Rookie

Feb 23, 2016
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Kevin Wallace
    Just wondering if any of you, ever found any more concrete info?

11. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    I am reliably informed there are roughly 120 308 gt4's here in Aust.

I have seen some particularly fine examples here in the flesh.

Mick.

12. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    #37 Spirit of Italy, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And some UK GT4's find their way to none rhd countries.......

Well known in the UK, ex-Chris Rea race GT4 as campaigned in the early 90's by Rea himself in the Ferrari UK Pirelli Maranello Championship.

Currently undergoing mechanical restoration for a return to the track in the UK sometime in 2016 thx to the kind invitation by the FOC UK classic racing group.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #38 gt4me, Feb 26, 2016
  14. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Is that the fibreglass bodied one?

15. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    Fiberglass rear end ONLY, front is original steel. This is the first car of 3 he had built for track use over the years and by far the most competitive one. Last I heard, Rea still regrets ever selling this car.

16. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    #41 Playframe King, Feb 29, 2016
    Francis - this was my fibreglass rebodied GT4 racecar i built - there are several built to my knowledge...

17. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Nice!

18. JonnyH

JonnyH Rookie

Nov 17, 2012
    Glos UK/Barcelona ES
    I've just been amazed the jump from october 2007 to feb 2016, are there a few posts
    missing?

My question would be how many mk 1s, the Dino only badged cars are left and the
    later Ferrari badged gt4s?

I bought my wife a 1974 Dino badged 'Ferrari' 36years ago, is that some sort of record.

Love the site and input.

JonnyH

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #44 greyboxer, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    There were no absolute numbers in 2007 (see post 8) so it is even less likely that there are even more detailed absolute numbers now

At every level the data is incomplete or inconsistent (and the same could be said of almost every Ferrari ever made however much the chassis number collectors have managed to put together)

20. MCC 308GT4

MCC 308GT4 Rookie

Mar 30, 2017
    Hello GT4 folks.
    I've owned a RHD 1980 308 GT4 for some 18 months or so. I'm aware that only 400 or 500 ish were ever manufactured. With the vast majority being exported to the likes of Japan, Australia & other RHD countries.

The Italian guy I bought my car from. Had previously broken two RHD models for parts/spares etc. In addition, there's currently (March 2017) a car breaking on eBay. Not that many years ago a RHD model was for sale as spares in France.

These models are obviously becoming very rare in the UK. Whilst it's only my opinion - the view that some 250 or so remain, I think is somewhat optimistic.

I've absolutely no idea, how one might establish exactly how many remain on UK roads. However, there must be a way. I'll keep scratching my head.

Values of these cars vary enormously.
    Quite recently a LHD model sold in California for a staggering $162,000.
    The car was absolutely concourse & original - having never been restored !!

Michael CC

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How many 308's (not including GT4) are estimated to have survived in the UK? With the earlier cars now 40 years old.

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Japan ? As I know, most of Ferrari imported to Japan of this period are LHD one.

Where did you get this information ?

23. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I imagine you could establish a database of the UK based cars by publicising it through the various forums and contacting the various dealers and restoration people.

I don't think the gt4 is quite valuable enough for people to be particularly secretive, and if you promised to share the results among genuine owners, people might well provide info.

There is also this site which has a lot of info but has not been updated for a while. You could at least compile a list of the UK serial numbered cars from that, and maybe cross a few off the list. I emailed some info on my car a year or so back, but had no response and the details on the site weren't updated.

Also there is a serial number thread in the 308 section for owners who are members of this forum, and that has quite few UK cars in it. You should add yourself to that.

24. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #49 johngtc, Apr 1, 2017
    If you can get access to Matthias Urban's book or his website, it is likely that you will find almost all remaining 308 GT4s listed. The VIN will indicate the original destination market.

Unfortunately, the book is now very expensive on E-Bay or Amazon but I suspect that you could locate a copy at one of the autoshows at a far more reasonable price. The website details are on https://www.f-register.com/about-us

I am not sure, but another possibilty could be a 'Cavallino' article - if one has been written. These usually list Telaio and identify RHD vehicles.

And, of course, Patrick's advice is sound.

25. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    John, the VIN will not "indicate the original destination market" because almost no 308 GT4s have 17-digit VINs. In any case, even if you knew all the chassis numbers it doesn't tell you whether they still exist or not. Nor, for that matter, does Matthias' book, which does not deliberately exclude cars that no longer exist.

I already have a database of UK cars, as you know (and as posted earlier in this thread). Obviously there are a number of cars I know to exist and still be in the UK; some I know to exist outside the UK and some I know to no longer exist. But the remainder it is hard to track down (not just GT4s but other models too) although I am doing some work on it currently and will post the results in due course.

Jonathan