How Low is Too Low | FerrariChat

How Low is Too Low

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IndianaNative, Jan 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IndianaNative

IndianaNative Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    OldJohnBoy
    Several months ago, I started seriously looking to purchase a 458 Italia and found this website. I have learned much about this car through reading many posts. One of the things that I have discovered is the concern of many owners about putting many miles on their car.
    I found a 2015 model with around 3,700 miles on it as a CPO car at the original selling dealer. I was really interested in it, but the color combination was a little unusual and I eventually decided to pass on it.
    My thinking is that I would like to see a minimum of around 1,000 miles/year on the car. The 2015 model came close to that criteria. I recently found a 2010 model with around 4,500 miles on it. To my thinking, I would be concerned about a car that was only driven around 450 miles/year for 10 years.
    So my question is : How low is too low? Is 1,000 miles/year a reasonable number to gauge on whether to consider the purchase of a 458 Italia? Thanks.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I like to see 30 miles every time a car is driven .. that to me is ideal to warm it up properly and not cause undo wear .. if it was done 5 6 times a year I would be happy

That said ..that only adds 150 200 miles a year

Without knowing if the owner put 600 miles on one shot and then put 5 miles on it for the next 30 outings .... Total mileage divided by number of years means nothing unless you knew at least the mileage every year

Anywhere from 300 to 1000 a year is pretty much normal for our cars

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There seems to be a larger spread in the US - with some people claiming to daily drive their Ferrari (which is almost unseen in Europe) and others maintaining ultra-low mileages (which is more reserved to limited editions in Europe).
    So I just realize my comment from Europe does not help ;)