How invasive is ADAS on new 2020 812 Superfast? | FerrariChat

How invasive is ADAS on new 2020 812 Superfast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The spec for new 2020 812 Superfast cars being ordered in the US now must include the following:

ACC1 - FRONT RADAR WITH ACC
    FCAM - ADVANCED FRONT DRIVING CAMERA
    SURR - SURROUND VIEW

These are all obviously part of the new Ferrari ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance) system.

I asked my dealer whether ADAS will be defeatable on the 812, and received the following response:

ADAS is not defeatable but unlike other manufacturer's systems, it does not actively brake for you. If you don't brake at all the car won't brake. What it will do is pre-fill the brakes and if you are braking and it senses that you are not giving it enough brake pressure to avoid a forward collision, it will then brake harder to make sure you stop in time.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience driving a new 2020 812 Superfast equipped with ADAS? If so, can you report details? Is my dealer's feedback accurate in this regard?

Also, have you experienced any false positives that resulted in sudden, unexpected braking events?

Thank you in advance.

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll answer my own question in part. Just learned from highly qualified tech that you can disable all of it with one exception: The pre-crash braking. So this supports what my dealer told me.

Elisesko likes this.
  3. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    What's the base price increase for 2020, given the above "included" equipment?
    Thx

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    $360,393 ----- Base
    $3,750 --------- Delivery Prep Handling
    $3,000 -------- Gas Guzzler Tax
    $2,076 ---------- FCAM (required)

$369,219 -------- Total

5. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Don’t forget TSMG fee of $1750 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for all the info. Very interesting. Im actually happy to have the 360 parking cameras- and the blind spot warning can be useful. They could keep the rest as far as I am concerned though!

stavura, IloveGT and Solid State like this.
  7. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I saw pics of a new (MY 2020) 812 and it had an ugly and large square black blob in the middle of the front grille, but offset / not right in the center. I assume this is related to ADAS and thus not optional. Has anyone taken delivery of a car with ADAS and can confirm if this 'thing' is present in the grille? It really was quite hideous.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Bundy likes this.
  9. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    I just received my MY2020 812. It does not have the square cutout. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  10. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I must have received one of the last 2019's. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I would welcome the surround view camera and blind spot detection system. The prefill brake and warning system doesn't sound too invasive either. I can tell you what I DON'T like is is the HELE. It needs turned off each time and I never remember to shut it off. It is so emasculating to aggressively down shift and coming to a stop at a traffic light and then......silence. Ridiculous.

11. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I too really dislike HELE. I remember about half the time to shut it off when I start the car. I wish there was a way to permanently disable this feature.

Bundy, Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have ADAS on my LussoT and I think its great. The emergency braking never really bothered me, the rear "traffic detection" is great, the adaptive cruise works great, the lane change assist ( blind spot) detection is OK (the sound is annoying at times), and the 3D camers (optoinal) are amazing!

** Also one thing I love about the ADAS cars is the new mirrors, in my 812 they are the old square ones and I love my LussoT ones :)!

Attached Files:

aw338 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    became muscle memory for me probably like a pilot getting ready for takeoff. HELE off auto mode off race mode on go time

OP's post brings back memories earlier this year when I begged my GM to not include HELE on my options list and jokingly offered him a bribe to accidentally "forget" it lol

Bundy, Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  14. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You may have inadvertently ordered the available 'siren' option. :D Looks like a siren speaker!

15. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    As far as HELE I have a checklist for starting the car. "HELE off" "check" "Auto Off" "check" "Carplay plugged in an enabled" "check" etc. I just go through the same things every time. Oh and I still forget sometimes.

Anyway one of the reasons I love this car is because it's not full of this electronic crap like ADAS. I have this kind of stuff in other vehicles and find it annoying.

Bundy, Caeruleus11, R J and 2 others like this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree. Sometimes I forget and it scares the **** out of me. It sounds like the engine stalled out.

17. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Is there an updated dealer ordering guide / options price list PDF that contains all the MY 2020 changes?

Would love to get my hands on it (and thanks to those who've posted these price list PDFs in the past on here).

18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Esc off and everything will be ok :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

aw338 likes this.
  19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #20 boobernackle, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    The square grille cutout shown in the other photo is only for the adaptive cruise control and emergency braking, which your car doesn't have.

If you look at your photo and see where the interior rear view mirror is, you'll see a slight triangular cutout, this is a camera and helps with the lane keep alert.

I brought this up at the F8 reveal, probably the same Bosch unit installed on a bevy of other brands. I would venture FCAM is required, while the others are not based on your photo.

Now if you add the prices of delivery/prep, Apple CarPlay and ADAS pack, you're at $20K, which is the total price of a new Toyota Corolla that has all these features standard.

RICH V12 likes this.
  20. RADM JJ Corronado

Oct 22, 2018
    Northport, NY USA
    Full Name:
    John J. Corronado
    You make a good point, except the Toyota doesn't come with that magnificent 6.5 liter V12. I've always bought Ferrari for the engine, and just dealt with the rest.

tomc likes this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The Camry side view mirror was $400 more than a stock Ferrari unit because of the camera. Guessing its the other way around now. The Camry unit is about $1,000 (each) but you can find a wholesaler at around $650 delivered. No wholesale on anything Ferrari. The big black box in the front grill is silly looking IMO and an 812 does not need radar for 'pit speed'.

deltona likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd be concerned with the pre-crash braking, because it will be a nuisance on the track - where you typically need to apply hard braking first and then release it progressively as you enter a corner. A pre-crash braking may identify your first hard braking as a reaction to a danger and decide it must be confirmed automatically no matter what you want (I read reports on more regular sports cars having this issue, since this "emergency braking" has been around for a few years already).

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I will not buy 2020 812 SF based entirely on my lack of desire to have any car with ADAS or GPF.

Bundy likes this.
  24. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What will you buy then if all new cars will have this tech no matter what brand?

350MH83 likes this.