How important is it to buy from the dealer that will be servicing the car in the future? | FerrariChat

How important is it to buy from the dealer that will be servicing the car in the future?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MJJ, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJJ

MJJ Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    Looking to current Ferrari owners for their advice. I am strongly considering getting a Ferrari 488 GTB. I have some decent CPO options available now. My closest Ferrari dealer is Lake Forest which is till several hours away. The used 488 that I like the most is in Florida.

Does it make a difference on how you are treated if you buy from one dealer and have it serviced at another? Is it better to just wait for a comparable option at the dealer to where it will be serviced?

Do Ferrari dealers ever trade inventory with other Ferrari dealers?

‘Thanks

Tag

2. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, over a period of 16 years of ownership, I have had my 575M serviced at eight different dealerships from Wash. D.C.to California and the place of original purchase has never been an issue.

paulchua likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's not like you were buying a Chevy or Toyota where there are literally thousands in your immediate area. There aren't many of any Ferrari model around and everybody does a nationwide search to find the right one.

I am sure any service manager would be thrilled to get the business. And any salesperson worth their salt would be happy to help you with your next purchase. :)

4. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Has no importance whatsoever.....

Husker and ttforcefed like this.
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The service department will be very happy to take your money!

:)

‘Matt

7. MJJ

MJJ Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for the replies. Consider this case closed.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To me, the more important thing is your relationship with the dealer and service manager.

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    What about having your local dealer do the search, ppi and purchase for you? (even if you already know the car you want) Dealers know dealers numbers $.
    Could they get you a good/better price even as they 'get a piece'?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. MJJ

MJJ Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    Worth exploring. Hadn’t considered that approach. Appreciate the feedback.

11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I was going to buy an 812 SF out of a Ferrari dealership in CA. My local dealer, Ferrari of Tampa was going to get the car for me. They were going to arrange the whole purchase and the bill would have been paid from me to F of T. As it turned out I ended up buying a car they already had on the floor in Tampa. My wife preferred this other color. (No, I am not hen pecked. I know I am not as my wife told me I wasn't). Dealerships can get you cars. There may be some behind the scene discussions or profit sharing but they all do it and it would keep the local dealer happy. 'Not that they would not want your service business. But why not make everybody happy.

AEHaas

BJK likes this.
  12. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

And the parts guy!

paulchua likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I think if you were looking at a in-demand car like a great spec Pista Spider, a far-away dealer might not want to let it go, but for a 488 GTB, he's probably like Yes! Let's make a deal! :D

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Depends on how much you desire to “build the relationship” at your local dealer for new car orders. Running the sale through the local dealer may only cost you a little more, if anything.
    Also, with Ferrari of Tampa, if you have purchased the car from them they will pick it up and deliver it from service in an inclosed trailer anywhere in Florida for no extra cost.