How fast can you go for $10K in a car. | Page 8 | FerrariChat

How fast can you go for $10K in a car.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by masermartin, Nov 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    LOL - so it's obvious the Vette drivers sucked. Or the 944T was substantially modified.

Unless, of course, you are making the case that a driver in the 944T will get a faster time than in a C6. Please, agree with that. I need a good laugh.

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I'd prefer some objective data saying they *are* in the LS1s league. No doubt the car was quick in it's day and an *extremely* good handler. I doubt the 951 would be quicker than an S2000 or Boxster S though...

Objective data has already been posted about those cars and 'the mighty LS1'.

3. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

Corvette's are best known for their crappy breaking. GM always pusses out and goes extrememly cheap by not using a prop valve and instead using tiny as rear that overheat and fade almost instantly.

The Fbodies weigh more than a Vette. This doesn't mean squat.

On the other hand, the 944T using the same brakes as the Gen1 and II Viper even though it weighs 700+ lbs less.

4. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    It would completely depend on the course. The Boxster is planted to the ground like NO other. (very unlike the Fbodies) but the Boxster sure doesn't have the torque band of the 944T. It is not uncommon to see stock 944T's blowing past Boxster S'.

As for the S2000, I can't imagine a track were it would have an advantage over the 944T.

*not to mention, with a Chip, shimmed wastegate and a MAF conversion the 944T will easily put down 320+ at the crank. (500$ worth of mods) I modded mine on a students budget. My Personal best was 379 at the wheels.

For the record, a bonestock 951 will do 166mph. SO the 928's have it beat in outright speed. But whenever the 928 breaks, it will be like repairing TWO 944T's; because that is what it essentially is.

5. special tool

special tool Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2005
    ZO6KAL - here you go, my man.
    You are being called out by me.
    I will race your ZO6 with my 944 turbo.
    I will even race you in the 1/4 - clearly the forte of your Corvette.
    I will give you 2 cars - you will need it.

Please respond here and provide your geographic location.
    I live in Bethel, CT.
    Hopefully this will be possible, because you are obviously in need of some serious schooling, son.

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yeah that's why the new Vettes, even not ZO6's have great brakes? Your wrong agian....and the rear rotors and a F-Body are just as large as the fronts. Do a little research before you type the wrong stuff AGAIN.

OMG! HA, who told you this!

7. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    That was such a weird thing to read that I just had to take 10 seconds to research it. Perhaps you should do the same next time. They don't use a discrete prop valve but that doesn't mean there isn't brake proprtioning in the system.

Porterfield part numbers:

Viper: AP592
    944T: AP372
    Lotus Esprit: AP592.15

'95-'99 Esprits do use the same front caliper as the first gen viper and the part number reflects that. I think the ".15" indicates a different pad thickness.

8. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Why don't you just post Lime Rock laptimes for your car? Then you can at least pretend to be relavent to the subject of the ******* thread.

9. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    #184 Z06Kal, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hah calling me out eh? Only an extreemly modified 944T could run with a stock z06. So I'm assuming your car falls into that catagory. So you want to race a modified 944 Turbo against a stock car? For the record there are Honda civic's in the 7's, and ford pintos in the 6's. But if you want to play, I'll play. Unfortunately I don't have a z06 anymore. I do have a lowly 6 cylinder Toyota in the garage. It doesn't have the great LS6 V8 power band of the Z06 but it does have a high stall automatic and it is also turbo charged but just to be fair I got rid of the two turbos it came with and just left one on there instead. I'd be more than happy to take up your challenge. Find a way to get to Los Angeles and PM me. I doubt you have the resoures to do that tho. But don't worry you are in LUCK! One of my previous cars happens to be in PA! Thats right its not too far from you! I'm also good friends with the owner and he would be more than willing to meet up with you if you could make it out there. It would be just like racing me as it was one of my cars. He'd probably want a lil something to make it worth his time tho, you can understand that. You can pm me if you wanna go for that. I even posted a few pics of my old car for you. And thank you for your gratitude in offering me those two car lenths. I mean we all know what a monster a 944 turbo is known for being in straight line contests and we wouldn't want to put it up against a lowly toyota that is especially known for being very slow in a straight line and putting down tiny horsepower numbers on the Dyno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    One more thing......

IF I SEE ANY MORE POSTS BY EITHER 62 250 GTO OR BluCamSS IN THIS THREAD THE OFFENDING PARTY WILL BE BANNED FOR A MONTH

11. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
  12. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

You need to give him more than 2 car lengths Jim.

I'm getting a kick out of people trying to discredit the 944T by comparing it to a car that costs twice as much as the $10k limit (C5 vette). We all know that a C5 does NOT equal a Fbody.

13. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

What Year and axle is that part number from? I have completely differnt P/n's

14. MarkRobinson

MarkRobinson Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Robinson
    Are hands down two of the best cars ever designed. Anyone who's taken a ride in a well-preserved or modified car will attest.

Both cars are "80's" products and need some updates: Braking (no), wheels & tires, yes, power & torque, depends on your levels. I used to pick on C5's n my 200k 944 turbo equipped with chips. Lots of fun :)

928's need more power to accommodate the rest of their superior-for-the-time engineering. A 6psi bolt-on turbosystem from www.928turbosports.com puts this car into ZO6 territory, all for the price of a 15k car & a 5k turbo kit.

Do some research! You'll find my theories hold water. Rennlist is a great place to look as well.

Mark-
    -91 911 turbo, slight mods, 12.2@117mph
    -86 928s, turbocharged by 928turbosports.com: 12.9@110 non-intercooled
    -86 944t, stock with chips, C5 stalker (sold)
    -85 928s Euro, supercharged, (sold to someone who wanted it more)
    -86 928S supercharged, (traded for property)
    -88 944 turbo: fastest 2.5l in the country: '95-99 (sold for 33k!!!!)
    -71 911 RSR-engine equipped: fast as hell, (sold)
    '86 928S: loved this car, sold because people thought you coudn't make them fast! arrrrgh! :(

15. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Its great to see the 928 get so much good talk here, I would have to agree they are up there when it comes to ban for buck, they can be bought so cheap now. Ive had three of em, was only 24 when i bought my first, a 5 speed 928S with some minor tuning, real quick car, second was an S4 which I still have, and had a GTS 5 speed for three years, on the road it was a stormer, and pretty good on the track too. Sorry I ever sold it as there are so few manual GTS cars.
    As for a 944T, well performance is not far off a 928, and its better in the twisties. Where i live at least, there is nothing else that matches the 928 and feels special, i couldnt get excited about a supra TT or Mit. 3000GTO!
    Steve

16. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is going a little bit overboard. First off, a 944T will not take a single turbo Supra in the 1/4 mile. Give him a few lengths and it will just be that much more that he beats you, so lets please throw that argument out the window. I have a lot of respect for the 944T, but that's going a little far. Sorry.

17. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Z06Kal
    What does your supra run the 1/4 in?
    It does look fast.

18. anks106

anks106 Rookie

Sep 2, 2005
    wow.. talk about a topic getting off-topic (or would that be an off-topic getting off-off-topic?).

Lets try to get back off-topic though.

It would be tough to find for under 10k, but I've seen a few go for that price in the last year, so how about a buick grand national. Personally, i love the styling, and the straight line speed, is well, speed. Sure, it might not ever turn, but whats the point of turning anyways? Bone stock they run mid 13s with 0-60 in the high 4s. For 15 bucks at home depot and race gas, they are in the mid-high 12s, for 1500 total they are in the 11s, and 10s and 9s are very common. Its a great car for the guy who sees no point in a steering wheel.

Now, if mods were allowed, check out the dodge omni glhs. They are cheap little cars, that can be made fast for very little, can turn on a dime, and stop on one too. The only problem is you get reflux every time you see it, because there is quite possibly nothing so ugly as an omni.

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Ok. get it for once and for all. Of course me nor my brother are or have the driving skills of Jack Villeneuve, but this example about him might just let you see the picture, even if this one is just a small one. Everyone knows that Villenueve did the trip from Monaco to Maranello in 3 hours and 45 minutes in a stock '76 308 and that this year a car magazine decided to beat his record in Nick Mason's Ferrari Enzo, well these two trolls in the Enzo gave up the chase when the time was up, by this time they were 85 miles short of the destination. So my point is that yes a stock 944 Turbo did better than two guys could do in a C6 and a C5 Vettes, and another C6 was beaten by a gut out stock power CRX and of course the suspension was set up for track and with slicks. The 944T and the '98 Eclipse RS were on street tyres, the Eclipse converted to turbo with Hanhs mods, its has 6 piston caliper brakes up front and disc aft, sway bars and Tein adjustable suspension along with only 275 H.P. and fwd without limited slip! At the moment is getting finished as a true track car and will have another 100H.P.

20. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    What are you talking about did you go to high school because I'm confused by your run-on sentences and oblique samplings of cars and times that do not even seem close to coherent to me please stop the argument it used to be fun and cheeky but now I need a few aspirin so I'll stop typing bye

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

I'm not doing a turn in paper or a novel and to be honest the only thing I really need to write is my signature, I know four languages and my worst is english. Besides english is a barbaric language, and this is America so who cares. By the way I just saw your profile and you're just a tender foot pink ass, so please go and beg for a beer. Bye bye now

22. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    English is a barbaric language? Please, do tell, what enlightened languages do you speak?

23. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    These are the same guys who have a 10 pg thread on whether or not 3inch piping has any positive gains on a turbo car?

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Correction, the driver was Gille and not Jack.

25. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

Every 944 Turbo takes the same style porterfield front pad - AP372.