How far behind is McLaren ? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

How far behind is McLaren ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur. They may have reached it, but I doubt it. They keep getting better. If they can improve on strategy the rest of the season, we may see Ferrari fall even further back in the finishing order.

I think Ferrari knows this also. Seems the Scuderia attitude has switched from optimism and hope to concern and urgency. Rightfully so.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    While McLaren's mantra so far this season has been "Head down, arse up, and prepare for unpleasantness". Seeing world champions scrapping amongst the backmarkers trying to earn single points for such a historic team is very sad.

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Canada, Austria and Silverstone were good tracks for the Williams, but they sucked at Monaco and probably will suck again at Hungaroring. Also, lots of mistakes from Ferrari in these races. I think that they don´t have a chance against Mercedes, probably they´re in a worse position than in 2014.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, i really feel sorry for Uncle Ron and Alonso.....nahhh, they deserve it!!!

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I fail to see how anybody could feel bad for Dennis.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ron got so lucky he even got a point because his own team let him down.

Remember that Alonso could have been disqualified from the race for using one of Button's tires in qualifying.

Normally, that would be a DQ but they just put him behind Button.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Not to talk about the extra engine and development points they are being allowed to use.

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    They did NOT get any extra development points.

They were just allocated a 5th engine, like everyone else did in their first year w this hybrid formula, which sounds fair to me.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There are no working class anythings in F1.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Thay did, at the beginning of the season

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    They got 7 points, the average of the remaining points from the other teams. They didn't get any extra/more points than any other team.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    With the difference that the "other teams" were entitled to the develoment points from the start while Honda never had any allowed to them for this year. So, yes, they got extra points and an extra engine and they still suck! I don't feel bad for them or McLaren at all

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Wrong, not the difference of the other teams. The other teams had 32 tokens to use for the year. It was the average number of unused tokens by the other teams by the beginning of the season. I believe McHonda received 7 development tokens for 2015, while the other teams get to use 32 tokens for the year. Of course, some of those tokens had already been used by the beginning of this season.

Following that complaint the FIA has allowed Honda limited development throughout the season. The BBC reports Honda will be allowed to make upgrades based on the average number of tokens unused by the other manufacturers by the time of the Australian Grand Prix on March 16.
    Read more at Honda wins engine development battle for 2015 | McLaren | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN.co.uk

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I did not mean the difference in points, re-read my post. The difference is that other teams were allowed their tokens for this year but wasn't specified when they had to spend them, while Honda was allowed a completely new design hence was never meant to have any tokens at all. After complaining they got handed some to them for free, effectively against the rules.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Oh ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, someone found a loophole, so the other teams could continue developing their engines throughout the year until they used up all their tokens, while Honda was stuck with what they brought to Australia. In all honestly, that wasn't fair. Had the FIA had insisted that all engines were to be homologated by the Australian GP, then yeah, I would agree, Honda would have to race with what they brought.

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Having an Honda in such a difficult spot should be embarrassing for the the FIA
    That is Not the way to welcome a new engine manufacturer to the sport - IMO

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The whole token thing is asinine. If you claim that this tech will trickle down to road cars then let the engineers do their thing. I would rather see aero development stopped as there is no benefit to road cars at the speed F1 cars are doing. Leave the double diffusers to the ricers...

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I'd rather watch cars that have absolutely no relations to normal road cars and on which I can fantasise over. I hate road car relevant technology. Give them lasers!

19. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
  20. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Whenever I see an article that starts with 'Ron Dennis' i see all the other words in the sense as "BULL**** BULL**** AND MORE BULL**** LYING SNAKE TALKING BULL****"

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You guys sure use a colourful language at the Wall.......

22. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Honda also had the benefit of learning from watching all the other teams for a year, one year longer to understand the rules. One year to see the problems from other teams and one full year of data from McLaren

McLaren sucked with Mercedes donks and they suck with Honda power. They're getting extra engines and extra tokens which they can use in their first year (which no other team got)

Newsflash - McLaren's problems will not be fixed with different engines, better drivers or new sponsors

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..or new manager.....

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I broadly agree with what you're saying - Despite their claims to the contrary it's not just the PU that's ****, it's the car & I'm starting to believe "the management" too.

However, it could be argued that they started a year behind the others - They all had a year of on track experience to learn.

Also, while they have been allowed an extra lump - big deal given where they are - they did not get "extra tokens that the others didn't". When the homologation loophole was discovered they were given the average of the number of tokens the others had remaining coming into the season. 7 or 8 IIRC. That's actually remarkably fair & reasonable for these guys.

Cheers,
    Ian