How does new paint effect value of a 328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How does new paint effect value of a 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by CDBELL, Jul 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    My standards are lower then yours?? Is that what you're saying??

Buddy I judge Ferrari's in official club events and I own a 100 point multiple Concorso winning National "Best in Show" totally original 328.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself !!

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It started in Jan 1984 during the QV run

Rosey likes this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Tommy, by the sound of it, that's not all he doesn't know. :)

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #29 ginoBBi512, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    If painting your car will make it look better and last against the elements, DO IT !! I dont see the confusion, who cares about the value, its a driving machine not a stock, and frankly, a new paint job should up the value,if its done correctly, it does with every other car. Paint it, drive it , enjoy it. The paint on my car is still very good, but its not the original paint, I can tell, but whoever painted it, put a very heavy coat, and it still looks great, I dont care that its not original, it has lasted 22 years and 104,000 miles, and if I have to respray , along the bottom half, or the entire car, Ill do it, and not think twice about it. Why do all the mechanical restoration, like in my case, and not repaint if the car needs it ? Just because its a Ferrari doesnt make it exempt from needing a nice new paint job. I have never understood all the hype concerning a cars value when it comes to Ferraris, I want the values to come down to reality, so I can afford to buy a newer one, not for one to try and screw someone out of the most money they can. Jesus , Mary and Joseph lol . My painter just resprayed the 17s my car came with, the inners are black, and the outsides are that beautiful Ferrari factory silver / grey color or whatever its called, they look fantastic !! They also just painted the targa top to match the car, and wow it looks like Im driving a different car, and I also have the brand new black factory fiberglass targa that came with the 328s, the best of both worlds. GTB / GTS I have never and will never buy a car or a motorcycle so I can ride or drive it, and then sell it for more money than I paid for it, or so I can sell it for the most money as possible, thats insane thinking in my estimation, and all who are buying ferraris based on that, do not deserve to drive or own one, its that simple.

Thank you

Rosey likes this.
  5. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    It’s a 328,,, if it needs a new lick of paint so be it. It will look much better afterwards!

Jedi, CDBELL and ginoBBi512 like this.
  6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    By my reckoning, we have a consensus.

CDBELL and Rosey like this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Why can't people just enjoy these cars and cut the **** trying to turn them into a shot to the moon investment by maintaining the same Italian air that the factory put in the spare?

They are so enjoyable. Just drive them and live life.

If it gets a scratch, paint it and keep driving.

Jedi, 430tdf, Jbrauer and 5 others like this.
  8. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    ooh I never thought of that, I'm going to the factory in September to take the new classiche driving course, I must remember to get some original Italian air to refill the spare on my 328!
    Thank you Tommy!

9. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    bertrand328 likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I’m having the deep air dam repainted on my Euro QV next month, it’s got a lot of chips etc on it over it’s 37 years. The shop I chose uses Glasurit paint same as the factory sprayed on this car, in single stage. It will be modern paint used…. And matching the new single stage paint colour to the all original paint is no problem with the $30K computerized paint matching camera. Sorry, but another example of your statements that are incorrect.

Rosey likes this.
  11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Other then some di@k who just can't admit he's wrong... what exactly am I looking at there ?

12. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Spot the car with a resprayed panel, and you can have it.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    It's the F50. Please send me the address where I can have my transporter pick it up. Thanks!

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Nothing I want.
    A 288 GTO on the other hand I'd take.

308 milano likes this.
  15. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Have you looked at recent pricing on the Ferrari Dino. The highest priced examples are the ones that have been through a complete bare metal restoration with completely new interiors and every nut and bolt replaced. I’ve also seen many 100 point concourse cars and it is the same. I’m in the camp that a well down repaint far exceeds original paint 98% of the time, unless of course you happen to find that one unicorn with 2800 miles on it.

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Exactly right, find a "as new" 246 or in fact any pre 1970 Ferrari with gleaming single stage original paintwork and I agree, it's worth a premium due to the low numbers built and the age of the car.
    A 328 is a completely different animal and the same rules don't apply.

17. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I'll take the 2%
    You can have the other 98%
    Standards

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    When I was searching for a 328 back in '07-'08, a good "new" paint job was worth more to me than the typical original paint. Heck there are some US muscle cars that are rarer than most Ferrari's and they are almost always repainted during restoration. But as noted, like everything else, it's just a personal preference.

CDBELL likes this.
  19. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Agreed. If you find that 2% it would be very special. Point of the thread though, does a repaint hurt the value? I really don’t think it does. In most cases, no, it does not.

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Still doesn’t get it.

21. JonWH

JonWH Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    More importantly, in the title of this thread le mot juste is "affect" not "effect".

I'll get my coat.
    ;)

22. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    35-40 years with garage queen paint may have other issues if you’re driving it.
    Depends on the mileage, condition and other intangibles.
    Anyone who doesn’t want to buy it will come up with 10,000 reasons - most of them inane.
    A real buyer knows the value and has a motivation to but it.
    Balance the potential loss of 5-10k vs revealing it’s been repainted to original colors and perfect.

the basic question is
    Museum Piece??
    Driver??

blu308qv likes this.