How did you make your wealth ? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

How did you make your wealth ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Risktaker, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    You had me at 94%.

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I mastered the art of Amish Rake Fighting. I made my millions in raised barns across Pennsylvania. Google me if you want, my stage name is 'Twerkin Beard'.

I also developed the At Home Lasik Kit. Type in the code 'MALPRACTICE' for a 20% discount and free shipping.

LASIK@Home

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Code of the loser.

4. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Packer was just as immodest as the Texan in that story, so not sure what the moral is? (Is there one?) Also, Packer just got his wealth through being born rich, not much of an achievement at all. $70mm earned is far more impressive than $7bn inherited.

5. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
  6. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner

Bravo. Enough time wasted - let us get back to creating some wealth.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Fixed.

:D

Mark

8. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    LMAO but what fun it is.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If he can get Risktaker to compound that ban by 94% monthly for him, it will last for infinity!

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I disagree with this. I don't think is how much money you have/made, it's how you live your life an use your resources for the prosperity of your community.

11. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Like Batman? :)

He has all the cool toys AND gives to the community.

Though the property damage he causes somewhat offsets that.....

12. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    This and all similar posts are why I've been glued to this thread from the beginning. Knew as soon as I read the OP it would be exceptional. It has not disappointed.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    PLEASE tell me that the 94 in your nic is referring to a 94% Return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    Absolutely! I've made slightly over 94% return I'm just not giving you the time frame. 😜

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Compounding rulez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm not out to impress anyone so I'll take door #2

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Classic!

Made me make a little smile.

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There have been 3 Packers, Sir Frank ( Grandfather, Deceased) , Sir Frank's son Kerry (Deceased) and who the story is attributed to (Kerry inherited 30M from Frank and turned it in to billions) and James, Kerry's son and heir to the Packer billions who has increased the fortune somewhat and taken the family out of the media business.

Kerry's achievements where pretty phenonmenal, he could have taken the 30m in the 70's and lived very comfortably....

M

19. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Same here (though not sure about taking door #2). Still not impressive.

Nothing against being born rich, but it is the luck of the draw. Same as winning a lottery. It's great, and I'd love to win the lottery.

If someone creates wealth (legally and morally) of a certain magnitude, without the good fortune of being born reach, that is impressive. It also (generally) feels more rewarding and the wealth is (generally) more appreciated. Perhaps its short-lived, since people get acclimated quickly.

Doesn't make one person more happy, or less happy, or better or worse.

Of course, I can poke holes in the above and say some people are born smarter, or with more motivation, or more attractive, etc. Those attributes can in turn make creating wealth (relatively easier) and so we are all subject to the luck of the draw. True enough. Still, there are more causal steps in those scenarios.

20. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And if he invested that money in the stock market at that time (my understanding, not having looked at the data) is that he would have ended up with even more money. Benefit of compounding for great fortunes.

Not phenomenal by any means though obviously much better than squandering it. No comment on the man other than this story and his position with great wealth -- having far more basis in his birth situation than anything he ever did.

I'm a free market believer, don't believe in taxing net worth, etc etc... I'm not from a poor family, and I benefit from luck of birth coming from the U.S. Luck plays an enormous role.

21. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Fixed it for you.

:D

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Rumor has it that after Sunday's game, they all changed their names to avoid association with the Packers.

Mark

23. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Someone has to do something with that invested money. His work at expanding the family business allowed thousands of people to make a living through their work towards the goal. While investing in the market for others to hopefully succeed at turning his money into more successful business might have added more value to his portfolio, do you think it would have had as much of a direct impact on as many people? Also, with his fondness for the craps tables and gambling on whatever fancied him at the moment, I have to wonder how much of his wealth was gambled away that would have otherwise added to the bottom line.

24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I believe you must have forgotten a decimal point in your numbers as there is no legal or ethical way to make such returns on a continuing basis. Even adding a decimal in the middle of the two numbers would be bordering on the impossible. I am not sure why you thought throwing the humanitarian BS in there would make you sound more legit. But even there, who wouldn't want to throw in for an annual 168% return? And how would anyone ever see such returns continued year after year, when just moving the decimal to a consistent 16.8% is pretty darn rare?

If you were legit with your request for how folks came about their wealth, you would simply have stated that you are a private investment banker and maybe stated the areas in which you make investments. Instead you made unbelievable claims out of the gate.

25. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #275 SWB, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Shhh! Don't bug him, its almost the end of January and he's busy making his clients a ****load of money. Heard he gets financial advice from:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login