How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

For those who have 100% confirmation from your dealer, how did you get your 488 Pista allocation?

1. Long time Ferrari client. My dealer offered me a Pista with no additional purchase required

87 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. I bought/leased a Lusso in return for an allocation

25 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I purchased a new 488 GTB/Spider and was offered a Pista (with or without a trade-in)

27 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. I bought a used Ferrari in return for an allocation

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Other

41 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From what I've heard, they are pumping out tons of .2 GT3 and RS this time around. Doesn't seem like anyone is having any problems getting RS allocations.

2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    They're not.

Again, there are threads on Rennlist identical to this one asking who has secured an allocation that are gigantic.
    Current .2 GT3 owner:
    And another.
    And as another owner put it:
    And here's another food for thought that hopefully the owners on this board can answer: When you order your Pista/Tdf/Speciale/etc., is your dealer asking an addition $35K-$50K+ on top of MSRP? If not, Ferrari is already doing 1 thing correctly.

Note* Apologize for the off-topic discussion of Porsche.

F2003-GA, Bundy, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I wouldn't bet on that. They already dumped a bunch of late build Cali T's into the 2018 market at below MSRP and which had never been titled. No one spec'd those cars, they were just dumped on dealers who wanted them and they had trunk money in them as well. That's BMW and Mercedes all the way and Porsche on the lower end stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen on the 488 in another year or two at the end of life.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Amazing! Who told you this? Tons of .2gt3rs and .2gt2rs's? I guess you were offered one and knocked it back :rolleyes:

Please tell. I can't wait to hear the story. I'll just go get a bucket of popcorn for this one.

nice likes this.
  5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    As usual, you heard wrong....

nice likes this.
  6. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually heard a similar thing a few weeks ago from my local Porsche dealer (in Oz) . Basically after seeing the speculators in action with the 911R and GT3RS Porsche have decided to build as many of the "special" cars as there is demand. That said, the dealer had only 4 x 911 GT2 RS allocations and all had been pre-sold to VIP customers with no idea when, or if, any more would be available.
    Again in Oz, people who had put a deposit down on a Pista ( some did this 2 years ago ) are being told that to be certain of receiving an allocation they need to own or buy a 488.
    Apparently having bought a 458 Speciale is no guarantee of receiving a Pista allocation.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe it's Europe that's getting more? The engines need to change slightly to include stuff for emissions. First batch of cars will come without it, second batch will come with it. There will be more than just the first batch of allocations from what I've heard.

I also see lots of people taking deliveries of GT3s. They have delivered a fair amount already and there doesn't appear to be any slowing down.

I don't think Porsche in interested in playing the limited run game. They tried that with the R, saw them being flipped, realized there was a market, and now the manual GT3 is a standard option. Imagine being the sucker who paid $500K for a 911R...

.1RS flippers flooded eBay etc. They were just sitting on them, asking ridiculous prices. Well, now they're still sitting on them and will be forever. Porsche would rather sell cars to customers and flippers. Sell the car to the guy who wants it and sell the car to the guy who hopes he can flip it.

GT 40 SA likes this.
  8. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    There is no way there are tons of 991.2 GT3s and .2GT3RS pumping out. I don't know where you heard that. If you have any other confirmation of that, let us know. That's not the read on Rennlist by any small margin. No one (hardly anyone) can easily get an allocation without significant buying history and/or premium. They are not walk in and order at all. There are a lot coming in but the demand strongly exceeds the availability of them. Lots of people unfortunately paying lots of ADMs on them to play the game.

nice likes this.
  9. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    And it's been posted elsewhere, but plenty of people have been given deposits back because there aren't enough spaces to fill quantity of deposits taken.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #85 noone1, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I don't really read RL, but it seems like plenty of members have been getting them on RT. Smaller forum, but I've regularly been seeing people taking delivery of GT3s and no talk about being unable to get one.

The .2RS is barely even out yet. Need to give it time. Now I'm not saying it's impossible for new demand to increase beyond supply, but supply was said to be much higher than the .1 cars.

The thing about the ADM is that it means dealers have inventory and are delivering cars to customers. For a dealer to have inventory while delivering cars must mean Porsche is producing more than demand, no? I haven't gotten the impression that dealers are taking all their customer's allocations for themselves.

Being that there are no caps on production, I think allocation is just like any car. You get allocated cars over time, so if they've allocated you 10 cars for now, it wouldn't make sense to take/keep deposits beyond that until you get the next batch. From what I've gathered, there will be more rounds of allocations.

My Porsche dealer told me about there .1RS allocation. They "regularly" (based on some metric) got allocated cars and as an allocation would come in, they'd call up whoever was next in line. He said they don't sell over MSRP. They did not take deposits from people unless they knew they had an allocation for them.

11. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I'm not saying this to create argument at all, just an opinion from what I have observed for years. I think you are right that people are getting them. But the problem is that you are probably judging based on the posts of people that do, rather than those that don't post if they can't get one. I think that number remains fairly high to be sure. There are plenty of people complaining on Rennlist about the difficulty of not getting an allocation or being far down on the "list" and build year is just about done.
    As to the RS, that an RS is in inventory only means it was perhaps a dealer optioned vehicle and will be sold with an intended high ADM, but does not mean they will be getting lots more. It probably is indicative of the dealership trying to make more profit on one or a few special vehicles, rather than selling it to a standard customer. And there realistically are caps on productions to the extent that the build run is not necessarily that long, although yes there may be another quarter of the year of allocations accepted, but it is really not that much more in the grand scheme of things when compared to the build cycle of the 488 for example which spans years at a time.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    So, back to the purpose of this thread, for those that have a Pista allocation, how was it secured?

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    LOL

14. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I offered my dealer $100k over and they said, let me think about it. They never got back to me. When I followed up, they said sorry, the $100k won't help. I've bought 5 new Ferrari's from them.

15. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Which models did you purchase, and over what period of time?

16. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    2007 430 spider, 2008 430 spider, 2011 458. 2016 488 GTB, 2017 488 spider, all new.

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So much for dealer loyalty. Five new cars and still $100k won't do it, wow. You bought two 488s in the last couple of years alone. Enjoy the boat instead, that will show them.

18. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    2019 Lizard Green Porsche GT3 RS incoming. September allocation.

F2003-GA likes this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Congrats on that one!

20. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    For 100k over, I may have to let you buy mine. They are nuts to pass that up especially since you have history.

F2003-GA likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Having owned a number of Porsche's over the years I have a very close relationship with my dealer. All the 4.0 gt3 allocations are done and in process of delivery. There will be no more and there are more buyers than available gt3's. It is the same situation with the 2 and 3 RS cars. If you don't get allocation then your options are used market only. I don't have the time for forums past the 458/488 section here of Fchat so don't know or care what is going on at these other forums you have unlimited time for. If you say the word is that everyone can get a 3 or 2 rs then I'm not buying that story because I know first hand that it is certainly not the case.
    I was told the approx/close number of 2 and 3 rs's being delivered to Aus and there are plenty that will be missing out, just as was the case with the 4.0 gt3.

Agree with what you say on the 911R. Porsche ended the flipping/profiteering game by releasing gt2.2 manual and, with a better engine. Will they do that with the 2 and 3 RS cars? Doubt it because much as is now the case with Pista the pricing has been increased to such a high level there will become fewer buyers with that level of coin that are willing to pay the current retail price let alone be willing to pay even more again for a used car not exactly to their spec. I may be wrong on that (and hope I am for obvious reasons) - time will tell.

Bundy likes this.
  22. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I chatted with the guy who works with dealers to sell spots. He has less than 10 buildable spots for sale. He has GT3 and GT3rs spots for sale. A GT3 spot...touring...is $35k. An RS spot is $50k. Get this, you don't pay HIM for the spot you pay the DEALER and they pay him when you pay for the car.

If you want the connection, PM me.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Weird. How much do they actually pay him? A few grand? By the sounds of Rennlist, it doesn't sound like dealers would need anyone's help selling these things.

24. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    All this gt3 and gt3rs talk, funny... Fact, the gt3 and gt3Rs variants are no longer limited editions like the previous gen, if you really believe this your lying to yourself. As per the gt2rs it is still limited,

It's a great car though and if it's worth the extra "marktm value" to you then go for it but don't think it's going to appreciate like the true limited production cars.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #100 Shadowfax, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I think its come up because Pista sits in a similar position with the 3 and 2rs with allocation numbers unable to satisfy the market demand and also not being a numbered/limited car in that sense.

Insofar as the potential for appreciation goes it's anyone's guess but I would suspect worse case scenario all these cars will be price stable for some time ahead.

The manufacturer (Ferrari/Porsche whoever) has a finite period where they will be manufacturing these cars and would most likely have already figured out how many can be made within that time which has likely established the allocation numbers set down. My assumption anyway.