How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

For those who have 100% confirmation from your dealer, how did you get your 488 Pista allocation?

1. Long time Ferrari client. My dealer offered me a Pista with no additional purchase required

87 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. I bought/leased a Lusso in return for an allocation

25 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I purchased a new 488 GTB/Spider and was offered a Pista (with or without a trade-in)

27 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. I bought a used Ferrari in return for an allocation

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Other

41 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Even someone with 599 GTO and tdf didn't get the pista since his last purchase of tdf. Buying lusso or constant purchase is awarded more in this case. He obviously didn't buy 488 or cali T or lusso.

Buying every car or buying every year seems the way to go.

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Just to add the thought many may have......oh how I would love to be in the privileged position to get myself onto any Ferrari list.

Guess I'm going to have to wallow at the bottom in my first Ferrari (458 spider) and drown out my sobs of self pity with its glorious NA tones.....how lucky am I.

Sent from my SM-G950F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA, Bhh, sbenus and 2 others like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #53 Shadowfax, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Pista allocation without buying at least one of those 3 appears impossible. To the best of my knowledge a skateboard, bus ticket, or EV is not part of Ferrari's Pista criteria.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What you say here is so damn true James A! Being happy with you own lot is all that counts and like yourself I am so happy and thoroughly enjoying my 488gtb if by chance my Pista allocation falls over it's definitely not going to be the end of the world for me either.

09Scuderia and rsky like this.
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Some of us genuinely love the FF & GTC4 Lusso. Best DD I’ve ever owned.

Some of us happen to live in the United States, and rather like it, too.

Some of us own manual Porsches, but still prefer their Ferraris.

Some of us understand Supply & Demand, and spend less time worrying about how others spend their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoketRdr, Shadowfax, sbenus and 6 others like this.
  6. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    :D Bravo.......well said!

sbenus and Bundy like this.
  7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BTW unless you have a 100% confirmed allocation SPOT TO BUILD from Ferrari nothing is for sure.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    This is the bottom line stated perfectly.

Shadowfax and agrun like this.
  9. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Exactamundo. Noone1 is just bored and enjoys arguing personal preference which is a fools errand

Shadowfax and Bundy like this.
  10. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    It's pointless to even engage Noone1. better to ignore his comments than to reply, as they reflect an underlying dislike of Ferrari, having never owned one and zero desire to own one. He is a heckler looking to stir the pot, luring those unaware of his dystospian view of Ferrari into meaningless debate. Better to be nobody's fool than noone1's fool. In my book, he wears a scarlet letter, to be shunned, rather than engaged. Just sayin'

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not sure if many are aware but things have changed a bit with Ferrari, something I didn't expect. Dealers are now required to have floor models/demo's and new cars may be ordered by anyone at anytime with the exception of the LE cars. I can walk in tomorrow and order as many 488's or Lusso's as I want - this most certainly wont be the case for new models though i.e. 812's, Portifinos (right now), or 488 replacement. My dealer has 2 Lusso's and a 488 on the floor. Not quite Audi or BMW but Sergio is looking to grow the business which is expected for a public company. There will be more cars of each model available, many more than in the past which will change the flipping game quite a bit. As an example I was initially told ~8 Pista allocations by my dealer, now it is more like 20. I wont be surprised to hear if that number climbs.

McLaren and Lamborghini have never experienced the demand that Ferrari has. The local Lambo dealer has multiple new Aventadors, and Perf's. McLaren dealer has 1 demo 720 and a lot of 570s (10+). Current wait on a new car depends on where you are in the country, I would guess some have faster deliveries than others on new 720's.

To your point someone with my buying status may need to buy a Lusso (as I was told) to maximize their profitability on me in order to quantify my early position on a Pista. It is what it is - you can choose to play or not. My feeling is that this will change over time as Ferrari increases production but that wont happen overnight. For others with a longer history I guess they cant afford to play games and alienate their clientele so they get the LE cars without the extra hoops. At some point I will be there I hope.

Also, depreciation is irrelevant and consistent with Ferrari, Mac and Lambo unless you buy a car 2-3 years old. This isnt worth debating or mentioning.

At the end of the day if you have $$ you can get what you want when you want.

PATRIEK and Afonsolaw like this.
  12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    total Ferrari production for ALL of the Americas is DEcreasing. Read the filings...

bottom line, constrained supply in the US, CA and the rest of the Americas.

Ferrari is not going to increase supply to the US.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Back to the OP....Speciale and 488 spider.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This would be great IMO if true, I like the idea of exclusivity even in a limited manner. Even so you can still walk in to most any dealer and order a new car today which wasn't the case only a couple of years ago.

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

The Speciale was not "sold out". You could walk in an order one in many markets.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not around here, you couldn't even get a new 458.

17. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Based on a recent story I heard involving a LaFerrari owner & his requirements to buy his LaF. Aperta, I think labeling it a game is fair trade for how Ferrari handles the hoops you have to jump through.

I'm not knocking the brand, though. I think established & repeat clients should be prioritized with first dibs on limited models, but I totally understand the turn off from a new buyer being told you'll need to literally buy in. But hey, Porsche has been going down this road with their RS cars too, so it's not a "problem" specifically unique to Ferrari. If you don't want to wait in line and build a relationship, there's always McLaren & Lamborghini who are eager to take money & build as many cars there are orders; they don't seem concerned with keeping their markets to a certain pool size for values.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I don’t claim to know much about how Lamborghini and McLaren run their business but I highly doubt anyone could just order a Centenario or P1. They do the same thing. They just have less demand for their overall portfolio. I don’t t really have any issue with how Ferrari dolls out their supply. This is nothing new. Even if you go back to the early days, Enzo himself and Luigi Chinetti decided who got what and when. Obviously the scale is much greater now but the premise is the same.

19. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Those are extreme examples comparable to the LaFerrari; it makes sense an established & highly valued owner gets picked for such a rare & expensive model. There doesn't seem to be a very vocal, if any at all, group of Aventador owners not getting picked for a Veneno or Centenario to begin with; most guys see them for what they are as one-off Aventadors underneath. Cool cars, but crazy limited to begin with compared to 500 unique LaFerraris.

I'm referring more to models such as Performante or SV, or the 720S. Those cars seemed to be delivered on a first come, first serve basis where as Ferrari gets criticized for stories of people supposedly needing to buy a Cali T or Lusso just to get first dibs on even an 812. Whether or not those stories are true, as said above, I'm not knocking the brand for doing what it does. Ferraris on the used market compared to McLarens is telling enough for their desire to keep the redheaded brand valuable to all owners.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #70 noone1, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    It's managed though. It reminds me of this Futurama scene where he checks their inventory.

I just don't see the appeal of managed "exclusivity". The $300K price tag is more than enough to ensure exclusivity. They intentionally don't want to increase supply even though there is built up demand.

Consider Apple. It's arguably the most valuable brand in the world and the most profitable consumer products company by a mile. Their exclusivity comes from the higher price point of their products, but they make every attempt they can to crank them out as fast as possible to get them in the hands of anyone who wants one as fast as possible. They turn out excellent, highly desirable products at a huge profit with good resale value, and maintain their brand value and image.

To me the whole manipulated supply thing is not even a sign of strength for the brand, it's a sign of weakness. If a Ferrari is all it's cracked up to be, then there should be absolutely no need to manipulate supply and prices should remain firm and everyone should have a **** eating grin on their face when they take out the TDFs and Apertas etc. I've heard amazing things about the TDF. Why not just let everyone experience it? It's not like they're "poor" customers. Sell it for $500K and call it day. It's not like the car is cheap to begin with.

I'm not saying flood the market to the point that you can't even give your inventory away and I'm not saying to pump out cars when production schedules call for an end, but at least just get everyone a car in a reasonable amount of time and let them have any model they want. So yeah, I prefer Porsche, Lamborghini, and McLaren's approach for the most part: Here are our cars, anyone can have them, the more the merrier. Sure, have a couple special editions in there for the people who can't survive knowing more than 300 people have the same car as them. But a Pista? Come on... I feel like it's common on here for people to be told 2 years before their car arrives. To me that's insane.

This thread asks people what they had to do to get a Pista allocation. Consider that all you had to do was ask for a 918 and P1. That to me says it all.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think they could. P1 for sure, but Centenario I'm less certain. They only made like a handful of Centenarios/Venenos though and I think the number was based on how many people even actually wanted it or expressed interest. I have yet to read of anyone who really wanted one but couldn't get one. I think the reality is that only a handful of people even wanted a $4M bodykit and there was a limited window. The Lamborghinis like that are very polarized. A lot of the diehards don't even like them, let alone be willing to spend many multiples the price for what is arguably just a body kit.

918, P1... very few people who wanted one didn't get one, and the only reason they didn't is because they waited too long. I mean, eventually stuff does sell out and eventually you have to close the order book when demand is only trickling in.

F2003-GA likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

You may be right. I don’t know that market well.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just buy in the aftermarket.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Goes w/o saying if you can't get allocation then aftermarket is the only option left - just have to accept paying more for a car that may not be exactly to one's desired spec.

25. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That's not true at all.

Porsche just last year rewrote their rule book for their VIP Program because of the GT3 market & people flipping them because allocations were gone. On top of that in the last 12 months, Porsche dealers in the US have stories of promising allocations they don't have for RS models. There's enough posts on Rennlist alone from owners trying to buy one & were turned away unless they wanted to "bribe" their way in to score a build slot. Otherwise, if you want to build a relationship, buying Cayenne/Panamera Turbos is a good way to start, no different from a California/Lusso. 918/VIP owners still get first dibs on all new cars and with the same stipulations that they can't be sold within' a specific time frame unless back to the manufacturer.

They have become no different from Ferrari.

Shadowfax and Napoli like this.