How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ha! Please let us know how that plays out. :)

2. Larsoni

Larsoni Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis A. Larson
    HaHa. Upon telling my wife I was buying a F I heard a resounding NO! Now she needs the correct sunglasses to ride in "Inge" aka the paint color "Grigio Ingrid." BTW a 2005 612.

3. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    My wife was mad for about 48 hours. I had to agree to some ridiculous purses. We all moved on with a little less money!

dweintra and Thecadster like this.
  4. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #254 Simon99, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Over two days have passed. I have received emails back from my spouse and oldest daughter, giving me the thumbs up on my thoughts. Just nice family comments. But nothing about the "P.S." at the bottom.

I guess they didn't scroll down. Like many things in life, the devil is in the details.

I know some people are going to cane me for this, but I can't help but say it. Technically, I've come clean. ;-)

In my late father's words, "If you're going to hell, you might as well ride a good horse."

And here I am, a first time owner of only 2 months, already fawning over a Testarossa. An undiagnosed illness.

DBomb117, iMrMark, vincent355 and 2 others like this.
  5. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Simon- congrats on the Ferrari. I have only skimmed this thread (first time seeing it today) but where are you on the plane purchase? Much more important to prioritize airplane ownership earlier in life when one is young(er) and in good health than Ferraris IMO. You may have enough money in a decade for the expense to have become nominal but you could also not be able to pass a medical (I'm in FAA land and not familiar with Australian regulations but assume it must be similar).

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Get her a new vacuum cleaner. Trust me, she'll never forget it.

Boots and tantumaude like this.
  7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes, those frigging little purses.

9. Dyim

Dyim Rookie

Jun 28, 2014
    Canada
    There must be a thread on the purse forum, that goes kind of like this:

Hi Girls, remember the 25 croc birkin that I was dying to get? My husband bought a stupid car again and I guilt tripped him into getting that for me…

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hey, you know your purses!:D

11. Dyim

Dyim Rookie

Jun 28, 2014
    Canada
    I am actually quite well versed in purses and jewellery.

This is how I think it is fair for me to have my toys and she have hers.

If fact, I think I am quite ahead in building goodwill towards my eventual Ferrari purchase.

I told her just recently I am looking at something like a new portofino in a few years and she didn’t shoot it down. Right now just waiting for a 718 Spyder to be delivered next year.

Eventually, I would love to play with you big boys.:)

12. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Although I am in Melbourne, I lived in Silicon Valley for 15 years and that is where I learnt to fly. But the aircraft fantasy is on hold for right now. We have a farm just out of Melbourne, pictured below, which is only 20 minutes drive from our beach house and big enough for for a soft strip. However, I think given that I have not seen my family in over a year due to Australia's closed door COVID policy, concentrating on additional toys instead of trying to get my spouse over here - I think most reasonable people would say that is not a respectful allocation of my time.

But I like the way you think! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I think what you meant to say is, she'll never let me forget it.

iMrMark and 308 milano like this.
  14. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Update: I've written to both my daughters twice now, commenting that I think they never read my emails to them properly and to go back and read the one from June 23 (Where I revealed that I bought a Ferrari).

The response? Either "Sorry, I can't find email" or something to that effect. Teenagers.

So I thought I would throw down the gauntlet today and send my spouse and daughters an email with a photo of some work being done around the beach house - something probably completely uninteresting to them. Never mind that red thing lurking in the shadow beneath the garage... Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Here we go!

kes7u likes this.
  16. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This thread is amazing. Simon, I can’t help but wonder if they’re trolling you a little bit at this point haha! Really happy for you on the car, the great news with your daughter’s acceptance, and keeping fingers crossed on a reunion for you all soon.

Oh, and if you ever need someone to take a couple acres off your hand, you know, I’m happy to help out. ;) Gorgeous view!!

17. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Okay everyone, closing chapter. The jig is finally up:

Email from wife: "BTW, what is the red sports car in the garage? I hope you have not gone behind our backs again. Hmmmm?"

Reply from husband: "I did say nobody ever reads my emails. Go back and look at the one from June 23. ;-)"

Reply from wife: "If you notice, the PS is wayyyyyy down at the bottom of the email. Never saw it and please tell me you didn't do this."

Uh oh moment.

Zoom call US to Australia with wife and daughters the following day. Nobody believed that I actually bought the car. They all thought it was Carl's 308. So I walked outside with the phone while on the call to where I had it parked in the courtyard. A moment of silence. DIsbelief, then questions.

Family: "How much did it cost?"

Me: "I'm not telling you. It's ridiculous."

Some more questions, ending up with me explaining that in the end, its the car that I've always wanted, that I did my homework, I got a good one and having it or not really does not make any material difference to the way we live our lives. We all have what we need and we are very fortunate.

In the end, they kind of acknowledged that. The saving grace is that they all agree it is fabulous looking car - my youngest daughter called it a work of art - and they can all see themselves driving it :) I did get a little slap on the wrist for not telling/asking, but I can live with that.

All three are out shopping this weekend. I said they can have whatever they want.

So everybody kicked a goal.

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been quite an interesting journey.

18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Best thread ever

DBomb117, AtomicPunk88 and GFD like this.
  19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Anything new to report?
    FWIW always funny when it’s the other guy! Enjoy in good health! :)

20. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Score! Great story telling and dreams do come true. Enjoy the ride!

21. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I really enjoyed this story. I went from being adamant that you should divorce this woman, come to Texas and be my wingman to, in the end, thinking that your wife doesn't sound that bad at all.

AtomicPunk88 and 308 milano like this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Always easier to ask for forgiveness them permission. Enjoy it!

308 milano likes this.
  23. DrUmBeAsT

DrUmBeAsT Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    Cologne
    Full Name:
    Bo
    Such an enjoyable thread! I am so happy it worked out well in the end!

My thread title would be completely different and more along the lines of "how do I tell my wife not to buy a Challenge car and go racing" hahahaha.

24. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Just stumbled upon this today, what a fantastic story! Happy to see it all worked out in the end and you get to enjoy the car. It took me about 6 months of hard negotiation with my wife, not to mention the countless years of slowly implanting the idea in her mind.

JanStuart likes this.
  25. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    LOL at this whole thing. I obsessed and searched for over a year.... talking about how deals got away etc.. until I wore her down and annoyed her enough that she was like would you just buy one so I don't have to hear about it anymore and you don't waste your life away continually searching.