How about a Ferrari NASCAR team? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How about a Ferrari NASCAR team?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferrarigtofan, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    The target audience of NASCAR is pretty much just as italiachallengeF1 alluded to, although in a joking manner. Have you seen the fans on tv, and people with nascar bumper stickers?
    Ferrari has no place in NASCAR, and it's doubtful anyone there has even wasted a second thinking about entering.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Threads like this is why I hate the damned off season......................:)

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    TopElement: Your negative comment about NASCAR fans leads me to believe you have never attended a NASCAR event in the last few years.

The image of the Bud drinking, fried chicken eatin', confederate flag waiving, fan in NASCAR is changing, probably much to the disappointment of the original deep south NASCAR fan. Today, the grandstands are increasingly filled with professionals coming from places like Manhattan, Chicago, Boston; the parking area is loaded with expensive cars including your BMW's, MB's, and Audis. Button down shirts are replacing black #3 t-shirts. NASCAR is reaching out to attract middle and upper income viewers of both genders and is doing it very successfully. Last week at Homestead I saw a few Ferrari and Williams t-shirts worn by fans in the stands. Even Mr. Jessica Simpson (not for much longer)was the official flagman, their attempt to attract the younger female fan.

NASCAR is really fun side-by-side racing. Unless you get a boner watching a single red F1 car screaming by at 18,000 RPM lap after lap, F1 is boring in comparison. I've stated this often on this forum, my favorite form of motor sports is F1 (I get a boner watching a single red F1 car come screaming by lap after lap), but it gets really tiring when NASCAR is criticized by those that have never gone to race. I am a NASCAR fan too. When I have attended F1 races in Europe, excepting for Monaco, you notice that each country has their version of "the original NASCAR fan": loud, drinking too much, and usually wearing a Manchester t-shirt in lieu of a confederate flag. Much worse than the guy with the Bud at Bristol Tennessee. So there really isn't that much difference in the nature of race fan world wide.

You are right about one thing, Ferrari has no place in NASCAR. Its an entirely different uncomparable market. But cut their fans some slack.

4. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I heard it from a reliable source that many of the Ferrari 360 Challenge competitors were having their engines rebuilt and massaged by Nascar engine building shops. That practice was banned eventually however.

5. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Well hell what if one of the Ferrari challange drivers also owns a nascar team?

I dont care if you admitt it or not but nascar right now is the most sucesful racing series currently. Ferrari has done a hell of a job in F1 for the past couple of years but have all spent the most money also. The spend 500 million a year my estimate for a nascar team is roughly 25 million. The truth of the matter is nascar isnt just for fat, budwiser drinkin, mullet haired rednecks. Even Lebron James said he watched nascar! Its a multi-billion dollar industry. Im also pretty sure every nascar race attracted over 80k people each race! How does that compar to the F1 schedule?

6. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    I would rather Ferrari entered NASCAR than build theme parks!

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #82 RP, Nov 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I finally located a photo of the Chevrolet Lumina raced in NASCAR by Phil Parsons. This is a photo of a model of the car, built by a German NASCAR fan. Car was sponsored by Ferrari of Los Gatos.

NASCAR is growing in popularity rapidly in Europe, while F1 is losing its viewership. There is a series in England that uses American NASCAR vehicles on oval tracks. A friend of mine that lives near Hastings, England, a manufacturer of 1/43 sports cars, used to have the Darrel Waltrip Western Auto car stored in his garage.

No one in their right mind would try to compare F1 to NASCAR. They both have their place in motorsports.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Not a big deal, but already covered in this thread; see post #58.