Houston McLaren Driver Followed, Shot and Robbed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Houston McLaren Driver Followed, Shot and Robbed

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DreamCarrera, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a friend of a friend reported that he was leaving the westin galleria at around 8pm for a dinner appt and was mugged at the curb of the lobby by two guys with guns who wanted his patek.....

houston is no longer safe.

BMW.SauberF1Team and BigTex like this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Austin isn't any better or even worse, remember when you could go listen to live music and have a safe time on 6th street?

WJHMH and TexasF355F1 like this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Some great memories from the mid 80s - late 90s............ but saw/felt something different around 2000, and haven't been back in that context. Cousins confirmed my gut by moving out of Austin proper in the late 90s, before I noticed it.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    City council has done a fabulous job of allowing it to become a **** hole in just the last couple of years.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad they cracking down....as for 6th Street, for the first time a year ago, a random street mob came fighting each other as I exited Antone's, at closing, beside Eddie Vs..

I was getting into my car when a rather large guy tossed a comment my way.
    Only a random girl joining in from the curb (I had spoken to her first) turned his attention back to whatever mayhem he was sellling.

I modified my behavior to park on a side street and exit the Stage Door with the musicians.

Texas Forever and TexasF355F1 like this.
  6. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Damn. Lived here most of my life. I have never had an issue, and I don't have any friends that have had issues (with muggings). Random car break ins or car theft different story.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    another friend of a person i know that lives in the hanover montrose came back from an event last weekend, was assaulted at the door of the building, had her purse and jewelry stolen, and was beaten up - right in the outer lobby of the building.....

everybody i know is now getting a gun, so this place is going to quickly devolve into the OK corral.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Montrose/Midtown was always hit or miss with crime, but hadn't heard much about violent crime. Usually smash and grab, occasional mugging. Seems the criminals have become emboldened.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there has not been much of an effort to defund the police here, but the sheriff did come out a a few months ago to say that it is increasingly difficult for them to police effectively since the 'no-bail' movement started. basically they cannot keep the criminals they do catch, behind bars, and then because they are out immediately they then intimidate witnesses, so no case can be made, and then they are free to ply their trade once more. it will become a bigger and bigger problem.
    private security companies will grow.....

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i may be paranoid, but i am also beginning to suspect valet parkers.
    they see you and your passengers get out and can check what you are wearing, then they have access to your car where you might keep your insurance docs which contain your home address.....and all it takes is a quick text to alert the bad guys what the target is, what car they are driving, and where they are likely headed after dinner......

i will no longer valet anything.

11. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Leave a couple of spent 9mm cartridges on the front dash, that might get their attention :)

Ianjoub and LightGuy like this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That’s a really good point, I hadn’t thought of that. My insurance is on my phone now, but I need to remember to get those types of docs out of my wife’s car.

Nafiz Ali Khan and one4torque like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The Austin Police version of cracking down is saying please when they politely ask you to discontinue your criminal activity.

I have seen tougher rent a cops. The soldier from Ft Hood while driving his Uber off duty who shot and killed a protester did more to put a lid on things in Austin than the police have done in a long time.

Texas Forever and NoGoSlow like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Same happens in airport long term parking regularly. They'll take your garage door opener too to make it easier to get in.

15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm learning something new every day here!

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #42 WJHMH, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Back in 2012, I was followed home on a Saturday evening while out in the 348ts, I noticed a beater Dodge truck turning wherever I went, off the freeway through the neighborhood, etc.. while approaching my home I passed it & the went three blocks down to the City of Westover Hills Police Station, pulled into their lot & honking the horn to get the attention of the Westover Police, the beater Dodge truck started heading my way until they noticed where they were heading. They noticed the police then made a quick u-turn while almost hitting a wall. Next thing you know the police are now following them. I got extremely lucky, I thought I was going to get robbed or worse.

Texas Forever, Ryan S. and ross like this.
  17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Fortunately these nefarious creatures are not masterminds….. hopefully steel bars and concrete awaits.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They can't bag them fast enough, it's a wave....there's hundreds of these thugs loose in our town.

Be careful.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Cockroaches—/

Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    vraa and WJHMH like this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    A year ago we moved into our modest Katy neighborhood w new homes and all new neighbors. I really enjoyed watching the fellow a few houses down the way amass this impressive collection of cars::: all new w paper tags::; Maybach, g wagon, 2 lambo’s, new R8 drop top… etc etc…

wife calls me today at work to report a police raid w flat beds…. Loaded up the fleet … windows had police grease pencil marking… “real vin # …….,,,,”

crazy stuff in what I thought was a quiet sleepy Katy neighborhood.

I’m going to miss the lambo exhaust notes! Was hoping to have beer w the guy and talk cars.

vraa and Texas Forever like this.
  23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My friend in Katy was across the street from the sex trafficking ring.....Katy has become pretty interesting.
    Now no one will buy the home...

vraa and one4torque like this.