hot-start issue, cold-starts great! 85 308qv | Page 2 | FerrariChat

hot-start issue, cold-starts great! 85 308qv

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sipes216, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #26 Steve Magnusson, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    That is correct for the US models that have K-Jet with Lambda CIS ('84-'85 308QV/MondialQV and '86-'89 328/Mondial 3.2).

2. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    Ok, cool. We will run that test later today after I reinstall the air box. That old gasket had traces where a lot of air was getting by. No more!

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I know the WUR pictured is different, but it uses the same fuel cell. You were asking about the fuel cell.

My setup consists of a "T", with a valve at one end, and the gauge connected to the middle of the "T". The valve end of the "T" connects to the input of the WUR. This is the larger fitting. There is a filter screen in the WUR that you can clean when you get the banjo fitting off. The other end of the "T" connects to the banjo fitting that you removed from the WUR. Make sure there are no leaks.

Control pressure should read about 25 PSI cold to 50 PSI warm. It should only take a few minutes for the pressure to increase.

When you close the valve, you are reading system pressure. The engine will stumble because the mixture goes lean.

4. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    allright! so ingress pre-warm up reg in line reads a warm control pressure of 50 psi at warm, just as should. it appears in spec. i pulled the adjustment cover off the metering box, and did a single half turn anti-clockwise, the car is immediately different with hot-starting and running now. we're talking night and day.

all systems are what we believe to be at their healthiest.
    the ac compressor seal leaks like a sieve, but that's a problem for another day :)

spice, steve, i owe ya'll beers. fancy Italian beers!

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Congrats ! Once you get used to working on these, they're pretty neat. Make sure you always have fresh fuel. Change your fuel filter regularly. And add a bottle of Techron to each tank. Good luck.

6. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    so basically, treat this car like the priss that it is? got it :)

after my wedding week after next, the car will likely go up into service at some point for the more chronic maintenance needs. we've planned for a fluid service, belt service, and the a/c compressor as well. it's got a week maybe of lasting with freon pressure once it's recharged. my father already sourced a new compressor for her, and i may consider rebuilding the old one for the sake of being prepared once the chinese one takes a nosedive. lol

7. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I'm 68 and often give advice that folks don't want to hear, so, with apologies -- I would not use my '83 QV as a departure vehicle after my wedding reception. My car is running fine and I think I know the car very well - but I still wouldn't. Let's just say my car would be jealous of my new wife ....

Regardless - Congratulations and best wishes!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    hah! that's a funny consideration. i've actually been kinda curious about what next would fail, but then i remember that me and my dad not only shotgunned a lot of the motronics, we certified nearly everything else we didn't touch to operating exactly or within tolerance of normal specification. anything could break, even still, i know. lol

either way, any advice people have, i will be completely receptive to. no guarantee i'l find it useful 100% of the time. i'd rather have advice i won't like, than not know of a potential issue.
    i used to be a service writer, i'm no stranger to bad advice :p

the departure drive isn't far, at most it would be 10 miles at an expedient pace. i just need to run this girl hard.
    erm... i mean the car, get it an ol italian test drive to blow out the carbon, and flush through any remaining garbage gas left in there ;)

pics will be coming! least i can do for all the help we got here!

9. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Speaking of gas - be damn sure to look deep inside the gas tanks before pulling fuel from them. Moisture (water) from today's gasoline eats our fuel tanks up especially partially filled tanks that SIT for months/years. My QV fuel tanks were replaced in 2013. SG

10. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Fuel tanks and everything else fixed by the Dave Helms Team at SRI. No issues with their work. SG

11. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    great thought! this is actually something we've prior inspected. the car prior to running again here had maybe a gallon or two in the car, and only sat for approx 8 months MAX. sure this is enough time to get kinda funky, but we then filled the car up with 5 fresh gallons via jerry can the other day while it was in the garage, and then we took it to the station to top her off. she appears good.

also worth noting, we're down in the dallas region of texas. we don't face any rust-through issues quite as severely as the rest of the country. only rust on the entire body of the car is a tiny bit of cancer i stopped already from the battery over time around the battery compartment. was super slight, i cured off remaining acid, then used rust reformer. it wasn't super serious.