Hot Sauce | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by darth550, Nov 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Resurrecting an old thread again.

What hot sauce do you use daily?

I was a Tabasco guy forever and still am, but lately, I am using Cholula on everything that I eat.
    I am buying Cholula in a half gallon jug with a pump on it.

What are your favorites out there?:D

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Still making my own from the garden. But now added jalapeño and habanero relishes as well. Store stuff I like a lot of different ones depending on occasion.

3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I make my own as well. Las Vegas is a tough place to grow peppers, especially in the summertime. A friend in SoCal sends me his best peppers twice a year. I have over 250 bottles of different hot sauces in my collection. I just seem to be using Cholula all the time on everything this summer. It could be my medication has changed my taste buds.

Does anyone watch Sean Evans "Hot Ones" YouTube channel? I have tried all the "Hot Ones" sauces and they are awesome.

Alton Brown was my favorite guest last season.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tabasco - all flavors - is my go-to. For me, the right balance of flavor and heat, especially original and habanero. The Scorpion may be the first Tabasco I don't love. High on the heat, low on flavor IMO. It's just hot for the sake of being hot.

Grew some piquin peppers this summer. They're quite nice, chopped up on dishes. Pop a couple into an Indian lentil and rice dish. Yummy. I have some dried out for use this winter.

Ron sent me some of his datil peppers a while back. Those were great. Good heat and a nice citrusy flavored. I pureed those with some fruit and then reduced. Good with pork and seafood.
    Great in a spicy peach margarita.

T

Streetsurfer and BOKE like this.
  6. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Sriracha from Huy Fong is great all purpose. Tasty & hot. El Yucateco XXXX hot habenero is very hot & tasty. Much hotter than Sriracha. Have been wanting to try some of the bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) sauces but tend to be pricey & hard to find.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You may want to try the Tabasco sriracha. I actually prefer it to the Huy Fong "Rooster" sriracha. I prefer the taste of the Tabasco
    to the Huy Fong...T

BOKE and NbyNW like this.
  8. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I would if any of the stores around here carried it. Just the regular, green, & smoked something varities. El Yucateco is tasty & very hot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat mobile app

BOKE likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah, thin selection here of Tabasco products as well. I've taken to mail ordering to get my fix...T

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mail order here too. Their regular hot sauce and the habanero are the ones I like most. Their sriracha is awesome too.

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I made some from a big ole bag of mixed peppers I got from a farmer friend a couple years back. Best tasting sauce I ever had. Sadly it's all gone and I'll probably never replicate it. He gave me a bunch of peppers including mainly Cayenne, paprika (which are not very hot but great color and flavor) jalapenos, and habaneros. I just blended 'em all up added some salt and a little vinegar if I remember right. Then stick it in a jar in a dark cupboard for about 4 months and it's done. I then blended some of it smoother and left some chunky. I preffered the chunky version. Just enough heat but even better flavor.

For out of the jar or bottle stuff I like Sambal (non garlic mostly) and Franks. But I also buy other ones when I see something that sounds good.

The Datil peppers that Ron mentioned above were good, different kind of heat, sort of like a habanero where it hits you at the very back. I was going to try growing some this year and forgot. Next year!!

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    OH, and for something sweet I like Tiger Sauce. Still has heat but it's pretty sweet.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I like mae ploy for a sweet hot sauce. I think Tabasco East Asian is better though. Better still is the datil pepper peach puree that I made with Ron's datil peppers.

This is the thread that Ron started on datil peppers.

Datil Peppers
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Datil-Peppers.527331/

T

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh I know, that's where I heard about them and Ron was kind enough to send me a package of them. They were tasty

Mae ploy is great for lumpia but there's not much heat at all. Tiger sauce is still spicy but also sweet.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I really need to try making my own.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Start simple. Fruit in a can, your favorite hot pepper, blend until smooth, reduce over low heat. Enjoy. Elaborate and complicate as your time and patience permits...T

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Fruit in a can?? Start simple??

I’m thinking habanero peppers, good vinegar, tomato paste, agave syrup, salt. Vary concentrations. Repeat. Validate the process and done until the next formula.

BOKE likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That'd work! If you need taste testers, I can make my taste buds available for the cause.
    T

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Stay tuned. Gathering components here.

tomc likes this.
  20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I love Cholula Chilli Garlic.

I should look into making my own, though. That would be fun, and right up my alley.

Matt

21. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I tried three times to grow the datils this summer for another round for you guys, but weather and pests werem’t seeing to it.

The last batch only got to about six inches before frost hit. It looked like something started eating on the leaves just prior. First batch was beat to death by rain, and second batch burnt to a crisp during the dry spell, where the mosquitoes from the earlier wet season kept me ill and out of the garden for the most part.

Perhaps this winter inside. I’ve a hankerin’ to set up an indoor grow for a steady supply of kale anyway, and I could throw peppers in then.

I’m happy you liked the flavor. I thought they were pretty unique.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Streetsurfer and BOKE like this.
  23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Pequins make the best salsa IMHO.;)

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My wife's father grew them and made them into salsa & sauces but she was young and doesn't remember the recipes.

T

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You have to figure out the recipe that you like but here you go.

Tomatiilos
    Roma Tomatoes
    Pequin Peppers
    Onion
    Garlic
    Cilantro leaves
    Fresh Lime Juice

Don't use a knife ever.

Stone Mortar and Pestle

Just Go For It!!!!!!

Eat it out of the Mortar with your favorite chips

Lather, Rinse, Repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Mileage May Vary.;)

Streetsurfer likes this.