Horse insignia on headrest | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Horse insignia on headrest

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Apr 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So not to be a team guy or anything, but how often does one need to do this? For the low number of times couldn't we sell to each other or rent rather than each of us purchasing a new one ?

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The one of my two 1989 cars (GTS and GTB) is 33 mm high by 23 mm wide.
    Here the one one my GTB, with a metric slide rule to give scale. Leather is original.
    Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    My horse imprint is very faded and hardly recognizable.
    Can I use this leather stencil to refresh my headrests or will I burn into the old leather? I am not sure if you use the stencil on new leather you want to reupholster and if so is using a press like the maker shows in his video better than heat?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'd leave it, mine is pretty faded and original.

308 milano likes this.
  5. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just ordered a new deboss tool that is 1.5"(38mm) tall for the 308. That's what my original headrest has, and I confirmed that dimension on a 2nd car with original headrest. Looks like maybe the 328 has a smaller deboss? I've never had access to a 328 I could measure or confirm was original.

I originally ordered all need leather from GAHH(actually Vic's but he just resells GAHH), but the headrest deboss was off center, too big, and had the corners of the tool showing. They eventually agreed to make me new blank head rests, so I could do it myself. Note to anyone ordering from GAHH, don't! They can't hold a dimension or stitch line better than +/-1/4", even on very small dimensions, but yet their prices are high enough that they should be able to deliver a high quality product. My local seamstress who has done some huge boat covers for me, holds +/-1mm on a 5ft span and usually charges me $25-30 labor if I supply material and pattern.

Anyhow, my intent is to use the tool, makes sure it works well, and see it someone else wants it once I'm done.

ragtop1 and Thomas Magnum like this.
  6. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
  7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Vic used to deal with world upholstery at the time I started this thread. I had a terrific experience dealing with him but didn’t find out until last year that World upholstery was who in fact made and installed the interior of my black 308 Ferrari. Contacted them last year about redoing the interior in my Euro QV and they came back with a price of $9800 which didn’t include installation. Also contacted GAHH and they quoted me $11,200 less installation. Decided this had gotten way out of hand from 4 years prior and decided to use Leatherique and refurbish my seats myself. At first wasn’t very impressed with how things were going but once I got the system mastered it turned out very well. I need to update the thread I started on the subject with the final outcome. Not going to lie, it is a lot of work.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just wanted to say (and no disrespect to the Platinum award) that ONLY a very few 308s, even had embossed headrests.

That is all....Carry on.....

9. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought the consensus was that the early style seats 75-80 didn't have the deboss, and the "fishscale" seats 80-85 had the deboss? I don't want to sound overly confident, so educate me if you have details.

My theory is: The deboss is very shallow and easy to miss. It's no deeper than the grain. Also, think about how quickly they disappeared on cars. The factory leather didn't hold up. CNC debossing tools weren't easy to get until the last 10 years, the value of the 308 was low, and originality wasn't always important, so the seats got reupholstered, and lost the debossing mark.

10. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm done with the tool. I'm thinking the way this will work is, I will take a deposit of $200 + $16 for USPS Medium sized prepaid box. When I get the tool back, you get the $200 back.

I definitely recommend installing headrest cover first, but not stapling yet. This will allow you to get the cavallino perfectly centered visually. I slid a piece of thin laminated wood under the leather(cheap, thin laminated wood floor sample). I waited 20 minutes for maximum temperature, and used a non-contact thermal camera to confirm. I used medium pressure for 20 seconds, rocking lightly up/down to make sure head and legs fully seat. I also used tape to make sure I was centered. I also highly recommend trying on scrap leather that is the exact same material on the headrest, first. My leather turned a pink color for a few seconds, and ejected some sort of liquid/vapor out the back during the debossing. I would have panicked if I saw this on the headrest, without knowing it was normal.

I'm very certain 1.5" high is the correct size. There are very few original seat interiors 80-85 left, because the leather was so thin. Also, the original factory debossing was so faint, it doesn't even always show up in a picture. I think this has lead to a lot of uncertainty on what was original. There's a set of seats on ebay right now for $1500/seat. Based on condition, they look original. If you zoom in on headrest you can see the faint cavallino, but you would never notice on an overall picture of the seat. Heck, even the headrest picture you can't see it until zooming in! I do have an original seat, if anyone wants confirmation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like you got the same one I got look at post #38

12. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, likely. There are only a few places online that make the debossing tool. Maybe we even used the same cavallino image? Thankfully, they didn't seem to mind making a tool of what is likely to be a copyrighted image. Maybe since, I'm not using it to make a profit, it's legal?

13. Pierceb

Pierceb Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    Pierce Bakker
    Chris, thanks for offering this up! I might take you up on it if I’m not too late with my interior. My headrests are fully installed and have been in use for about 3 years. If the upholsterer that did my interior can still do this (undoing the seams or unstapling the bottom of the cover) while in the car. Maybe it will work. I’ll check and see.

14. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Pierce, It's definitely doable. Find the clip locations on the back of the seat, push on them while pulling headrest out. Biggest pain would be removing the 3 rivets on headrest trim. For staples, they only have to remove a few on the front. Just enough to slip something firm under the leather. Hopefully, they have some scrap piece to test with.

15. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I can’t stop thinking of branding myself, way to tempting

16. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My mind didn't go so far... but I did think about what else I could deboss, in or out of the car. The living room couch? But, then I thought about all those over the top interiors people do, with cavallinos everywhere, and how much negativity they get on this site. I put the iron safely back in it's box.

thorn likes this.
  17. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looking at a 328 right now that, from pics, doesn’t look like it has the horsey on the headrest. Is it confirmed they all had it from factory? If so- it looks like it’s possible, or even better, to do this without removing the cover from the headrest, correct?

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Is it confirmed they all had it from factory?"

My USA '89 did. Maybe it was an option...like the roof wing!

wildrnesxperienc likes this.
  19. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Saw the car yesterday- super faint Cavallinos! So sweet! It’s at a great exotic shop right now getting a full PPI with a leak down and all. Very clean car cosmetically, and the inside is immaculate. Fingers crossed!!!!

Rosey and NoGoSlow like this.