HORRIBLE holiday accident pcar 241 fwy! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HORRIBLE holiday accident pcar 241 fwy!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TestShoot, Nov 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    My prayers go out to this family for their loss. Another reason where professional track training could have prevented this incident. Unfortunately, training won't change immaturity and bad judgment.

Brad

2. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    This toll road is only 2 lanes one either side with a large unpaved median in the middle. The area she hit is an on ramp that has a small both where the toll collector sits. Here in Cali you also have a 'fast track' sticker that allows you to by-pass the toll collector individual. She literally would have had to hit the car, cross a 50 ft median, then cross 2 lanes of oncoming traffic, and then hit the back of the booth. This road is not heavily traveled and except for the hours of 1700-1800 is pretty empty.

After seeing this I immediately went to my 18 year-old and told her never to drive above the speed limit again.
    When you are young, we think we are invicible and that nothing will ever happen to us. These pictures tell of a life taken.

3. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

with that said, makes you think there should be some sort of speed lock out device that allows a parent to inhibit the car from reaching those speeds.

4. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
  5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

IMO it's morbid that these pics are floating around here or anywhere. It's of little use preventing someone from speeding in future and only serves as sadistic portrayal of someone's terrible misfortune. I vote for deleting them as they have done on other P-boards. :(

6. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1,000,000!

I think people can get the jist of the severity of the crash from the photos of the wreckage. There's no need for anyone to see the photos of that poor girl, and I'm appalled that they haven't been deleted already.

7. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    From what I understand the girl had had a few drinks. She took the keys to her dad's car without his permission and he had already called the police while she was driving it. The car wasn't hers! Every post I see about this says that the car was the 18 year old girl's which wasn't the case. Still sad. Alcohol+cars = NO.

8. Dom3

Dom3 Rookie

Nov 19, 2006
    This is tragic. I understand how people are wanting the pics to be removed and I have no preference. One thing is for sure - after witnessing those pics, I am sure to tell people I know who speed in traffic to think twice! My condolences to any family that has to deal with that situation.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Truth be told it makes those fathers on these boards think a little harder about where they place their keys. Hell, to this day my dad won't let me drive his Corvette. The images may not be a benefit to the general public, but there are a few that this hits hardest to, fathers. Fathers that seem to think their kids are different.

Hey same thing can be said about kids that take their father's gun and go shoot up a school.

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I think the pictures are tough to look at and tough to forget. After seeing them I will try my best to be more careful.

11. DeusGear

DeusGear Karting

Aug 1, 2006
    NY
    Strange... from what I heard the girl was drunk and took dads car without permission and went out (her dad called to report car missing, and a neighbor also called the police when she sped down the street at 60mph+).

12. SIVAN

SIVAN Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Lake Forest, CA
    Full Name:
    Si Van Nguyen
    I agree with the suggestion above to delete these pictures (I only saw one but that was enough). At least someone should black-out the opened brain part. For God's sake, we cover up nipples on this website!
    I am a pathologist who do autopsies for a living so nothing grosses me out, that is until this picture! It just caught me by complete surprise as I sit here comfortably in my own home on this Sunday afternoon.
    I don't think we should pass this gruesome picture along any further, out of respect for the victim and her family. Who knows, some of her family or friends might be here on F-Chat.

13. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Thank you those comments, some people have no sense of decorum!

14. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    I agree.
    Initially I thought they might slow down a person or two and the benefit justified their posting. But after seeing them yesterday, and having a 18 year-old, I think they should be removed.
    The poor family.

15. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    rip
    ps
    anyone who looked was warned

16. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Ahh, that is pretty graphic.

17. cobra99

cobra99 Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    First off i agree that it is an extremely tragic accident, but what car doesnt go 100+ mph? No matter what car a parent buys their child it has the ability these days to hit 100+. You cant blame it on the car as to the reason she crashed, it was the drivers fault. As a 19 year old I had access to a friends 911 and was smart enough not to mess around at top speeds while other cars were around. But yes the 911 does go 160mph I know.

18. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    I'm not so sure I agree. I, myself, am 18, and have access to my father's cars (Porsche, etc.) with permission. Though I consider myself fairly responsible, I have pushed the car a fair amount above the speed limit (although not close to what this girl was going), and these pictures have made me reconsider my, what could be called spirited, driving. They were the most graphic things I have ever seen, and they really drove the point home. I think they should be included in Driver's Education training while in high school, because they surely have affected my driving habits.

19. futureowner310

futureowner310 Karting

Dec 25, 2005
    LA
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Oh my gosh, now that is graphic ......May her soul rest in peace.......you can try to prevent things as much as possible but as with this case, the girl pretty much defied everything and went out on her own demise.

My condolences to the friends and family of this pretty girl.
    I think it would be better to not show these pictures out of respect for the family.

20. AeroGT3RedWing

AeroGT3RedWing Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2004
    Central Coast, Calif
    Full Name:
    Tim P.
    I will not comment as to whether or not the pics should stay, as their are compelling arguments for both cases. But, the definition of graphic is certainly ambiguous and I think the original poster should edit a stronger warning about just how graphic those pictures are.

However, I will say that they undoubtedly prevent people from speeding. Seeing a mangled car or hearing someone died has nowhere near the impact those pictures do. Seeing a person in that kind of condition, while terrible, is an infinately more emotional experience than seeing a mangled car. I bet most of the people who looked at those pictures nearly gagged, while no one probably could say that of a car at a junkyard. That real sense of fear and sadness carries more weight than the simple thought that you might die in a car crash.

As far as the car being a Porsche, I think that's somewhat irrelevant. Rich or poor, Camry or Porsche, that accident could have occured regardless. Yes it is easier to hit 100 in a Porsche, but it's even easier in a run of the mill Mustang. Wreckless driving and high speeds can happen in ANY modern (and even some older) vehicles.

RIP. Definately a horrible accident. Condolences to the family of course.

21. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I think pictures like this should be shown to teenagers, although the names must be protected.
    It is images like this that the BBC put on tv that stopped me ever taking drugs.
    So many mistake here, alcohol, hi speed, covertible, lack of experience etc, etc, teach you kids well, and get them a small car with no power.
    May the poor girl RIP and the parents never see these pictures!

22. mclc26

mclc26 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Those pictures are horrible...I truly hope the family is never exposed to them, so they may remember her in better times.

As to address the issue of the girl taking her father's car keys - Whatever happened to the use of biometrics in cars? You see it utilized in many areas these days including laptops, where you have to place your thumb on a pad to authorize use. I assume that biometrics was explored for use in automobiles to prevent theft, carjacking, etc. Does anyone know what the status of this technology for cars is? This could have prevented this unfortunate accident from happening...

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Amen - when I hear graphic, I picture car carnage, maybe a bit of 'red' and a yellow sheet. Not the way it was presented.

Anyway, graphic is an understatement - really, really bad.

24. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    As someone already mentioned, the car did not belong to the girl, it belonged to her father. She had some drinks, snatched the keys and well, there is the end result. 18 years old and gone.

Why all the indignation however? Whenever an Enzo gets wrecked and the last one was in Nice France, it's a whole lot of "RIP" and "I hope they'll be OK". I see no difference between an 18 year old making that kind of error and a 50+ year old making that kind of error. If anything it's less acceptable when a mature adult screws up like that since he/she should know better. Do we need to spell out the reason the military sends 18 year olds to war and not 50 year olds.

25. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #1 I copied and pasted, how could you not know fatality + highspeed + alcohol would mean gore? Hey we ALL rubberneck at accidents to a degree to see the damage to car and driver. I mean if it were just about seeing wrecked exotics, there is a domain by the same name. :/

#2 no it won't change anything. people will always speed, but parents should certainly be more in tune with their children's grand theft auto, alcohol abuse etc. I have to say OC is one of the WORST places i have ever lived for teen alcohol and drug abuse, but somehow that is only a problem in 'other places' and they send their kids to charter in the lbc and think by paying the bill, their kids are cured. hell i am a spoiled subruban brat too. people should see the movie 'havoc' if they think that only poor kids lie cheat, steal or do drugs.
    i don't remember seeing anyone being more upset at this because it was a pcar :/ yeah kids will kill themselves with access to any vehicle. it has everything to do with them being raised and educated properly. we here have a greater appreciation for cars, this is after all an exotic car forum. the problem that stems here is that the car was taken and is capable of extreme performance. i am sure if you could ask her, she'd tell you why she chose dad's car over her own. that is disrespectful no matter what.

on your other point, when i was 19 and got shot i was like 'cool dude, i was shot' now i look back at 33 and think 'damn, i shoulda bled to death on the hike back to the car'. kids can be told to fight and given a loose reason, the older you get if you choose to fight, you need a pretty solid reason.