Horn Issue | FerrariChat

Horn Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by SouthJersey400i, Jan 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Although from my 'handle' I own a 1984 400i and not of 308/328. Although our cars are about as different as two Ferrari's can be, we share a common part: the column stalk switch, part #116780. I have made post a few minutes ago on the 365/400/412 site but there are a lot more of your cars out there, so I hope I can get an answer here.

About 5 years ago my horn started honking when turning the steering wheel; it got embarrassing! I found that lowering torque on the center steering column nut reduced the problem but it got progressively worse so that I could not torque that nut at all. I did a "temporary" fix and connected the horn wire (a ground) to the unused rear fog light switch. Not a great solution but I seldom use my horn and I could pass NYC inspection.

A few months ago, my light switches had the typical failure of cracked levers. I sent to Verell at Unobtanium and told him to look for a problem with the horn. He found no issue. I just mounted switch today and all of Verell's switch work was good and he installed a new wire to the horn button and looked for grounds of the wire and found none. However, my horn issue remains the same as before. After mounting switch assembly and the three wire connector blocks, I tested lights, wipers, blinkers and horn and all worked. When I installed the key, hub and nut all was okay until the nut took up all the slack in the hub on the tapered shaft. As soon as I applied any torque (by hand) the horn started honking. Each turn of the center nut or the hub produced a HONK. It clearly is not a bare wire grounding, it has something to do with the center hub being tightened on the shaft.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of any of our cars having this problem. I include a pic of my switch as it came back from Verell.

ANY IDEAS??
    Ken
    [​IMG]

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Somehow my issue all got magically fixed. the only thing of consequence I did was to pinch the tabs at 9 and 2 o'clock. Everything is assembled and nut torqued and the horn only honks when it is supposed to.

If any of the 308/328 people had this problem and solved it I sure want to know about it. I am skeptical the fix is "permanent" (nothing is on a Ferrari).
    Ken