Hood pad | FerrariChat

Hood pad

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Oct 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #1 bundas, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    What type of material is it made. A material reference? Thank you

Theodore

3. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Aren't they available anymore for the 365 GT4 2+2 ? I was quoted about $450-500 for a new one from Eurospares for the 400GT.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I can ask. Same as the original. Trim leather. Same as original. I will be making some for the 365 as well. I gust need my car out of the shop.

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #5 bundas, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

My apologies for bring back an older thread...

Sadly, Eurospares and Ferrari UK both indicate that the 365 Hood pad (Part number 255-28-606-00) is no longer available as of February 2016.

I am now looking at making a replacement for 255-28-606-00 that looks OEM, but uses a (more) modern underlay with better insulating characteristics. The only issue I see is to replicate the stitch pattern over such a large material area.

Cheers,

Sam

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Good evening Sam,

Too bad they're nla. I once had contact with a french company that makes footwell carpets for exotics. They had a similar pattern material on order and would very much like to replicate these hood pads. Only trouble was that they needed a template... I could try to source them out from my emails if You like to investigate the material ?

Arvid

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I had some 400ai pads made. I still have two extra. I need a pattern for my 365. Brett really screwed up mine. Made it completely wrong.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good evening to you Arvid,

I will certainly keep this in mind. I believe I found some of the outer material that looks very close to the original. I am going to get some in to confirm. The underlay/backside material will be different, but one cannot see this anyway... and it will be a superior quality to what was used originally.

As for the stitching... My local shop is going to review the hood pad this week to see if their equipment can do it. If they can't then I will have you follow up with them.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

I can certainly use mine to create a pattern for you... as I am going to need to do this for myself anyway. That being said, you may wish to wait until I meet with my local shop to see what they can do... as they do excellent work for a reasonable $$$ and so you might find them to be good value for a complete pad.

Cheers,

Sam

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I will wait for your product. Thanks

12. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I'd love 1 for a 365gt4 when they become available

13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hi Mitchell, I would be interested in the hood pad for my 1979 400iA. Could you P.M. me with details? I want to make sure it will fit. Thanks, Rick.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I am waiting for your guy. I had to send the distributors off today. the advance springs were different. one went to 41 the other 20 something. just maybe the car will be finished in the next two months. I plan to track the car at the FCA meet in June

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Should be interesting to watch it plow around the turns.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the car is a hand full. steering much more heavy than a 400ai. I was surprised. but the car handled very well. and controllable. but I was at 70% being careful as there was no place to go if a mistake happened

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Actually... you are waiting on me, as I have yet to remove my hood pad and take it to my Upholsterer. I spent some time a while ago sourcing the material etc, but it was the large area stitch pattern that was of a concern. My upholsterer wants to see the material, its thickness, and the size of the stitch area to see if his equipment can do it. Unfortunately, I am going full out on two major projects that are absorbing virtually all of my waking hours... and these will not be easing up for at least another week or so.... So... I went not have an answer for you for at least 2 weeks... My apologies...

On a secondary side note... I met with my machinist yesterday on one of my current projects... and he wanted to go over the details on seat back trim rings and door speaker grills that I am getting him to make. He just finished up the 3D models (Solidworks) and wanted my approval before he migrates the designs to the Milling software. All this means is that he is getting closer to making these for me. I will post up the info in my previous posts about these items to see if anyone else is interested in these items.

Cheers,

Sam

18. datafeil

datafeil Rookie

Oct 17, 2008
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Kimm Saatvedt
    Any news on the hood mats? I have a 1973 365 that I need the hood mat for. Did someone start producing these again or are they very hard to find?
    Regards from Oslo, Norway!

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks like sam is going to be the prototype for production.

Bundas passed away and no longer needs one.

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kimm and BigTex,

I am unsure if I can come through for more than what I need. The one shop I was hoping to take it on was unable to do it because they did not have an extended arm sewing machine needed for the "charlie brown" zig-zag stitching. Since I had other things to do, I simply put this on the back burner. Early this year one of my g-friend's colleagues wanted to give it a go, as she makes specialty costumes, etc for the live theatre industry. She has access to some very sophisticated machines and did not think it was going to be an issue. Sadly, Covid-19 shut down a lot of things and so she was unable to get access to the equipment she needs. Recently Covid-19 restrictions around here have started to loosen up and so I am hoping she will be able to do this sometime soon. That being said, she does not do this as an external business and would be making mine because of my girlfriend and so I do not think she would want to take this on as a side business.

As a follow up, I checked the part number (255-28-606-00) on Ferrari Uk and Eurospares and both sort of indicate that it may be available. Eurospares lists the price as $227 GBP and states that it can be ordered. Ferrari UK lists the price as "POA" and to enquire.

Cheers,

Sam

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hmm I cannot believe Ferrari had very sophisticated production of the originals??

Surely you could roll the material and get the sewing done on a free arm machine??
    Good challenge!

I lost my ex that did all the custom sewing.
    My new one is simply a Hooters waitress.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think Scantera crossed this bridge also....

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day BigTex,

It is possible that Ferrari outsourced the making of the hoodpads like they did for a number of their seats, etc. Who really knows? That being said, the Zig-Zag stitching is quite precise on my original and so someone obviously knew what they were doing. Since I am bit of a stickler for originality I want to see if I can get it recreated as close to original as possible. That being said, I am using better and more heat tolerant materials.

As for using a regular sewing machine and rolling up the material.... Anything is possible, but I think it is unlikely, as there is not a lot of space between a regular sewing machine's arm and its base... plus the distance from the stitching needle to the arm upright is a problem. Once you start roll up the material sandwich (outer material + heat insulating material) the roll diameter is quite a lot. A long or extended arm machine is really what should be used and I suspect will be less effort to make all the stitches look good.

Cheers,

Sam

24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    A fair swap

25. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I purchased one from Eurospares about 5 years ago for my project car.
    They look pretty good & seem to match my originals (only in better nick).
    The stitching is darker but I'm not sure if my originals have faded stitching.
    It has a few wrinkles in the picture from being folded up in the spares cupboard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login