Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    They should go 100% ethanol!

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    If the country I live in brings legislation to prohibit ICE, I will establish the ICERA = Internal Combustion Engine Revolutionary Army.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Every head of the FIA is a disappointment if he doesn't come up to expectation.
    People were against Ballestre, then Mosley, and now it's Todt.
    If anything, Jean Todt is less dictatorial than his predecessors, but still gets the blame.
    Like any CEO, the President of the FIA has to consider factors that the average Joe public doesn't even know about, or chose to ignore.
    F1 rules are mostly written by concensus between teams, and take into account the economic climate, financial considerations, etc ...
    But F1 followers don't want to know that; all they are interested is watching the cars they would like, or the team they prefer.
    I am sure already that the next FIA President will be criticised the same way. It's tough at the top !!

DF1 and simpen like this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Personally i thought it was about promoting a racing car sport and with all sports its focused on fans and spectators ie bums on seats. Sponsors would not spend £$m on a fan base of zero. If its declining in popularity (which it is) then something has to change and that is the responsibility of the governing body otherwise they are just fooling themselves and trying to con the public.
    Best
    tony

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I haven't heard that FOM or Liberty are near bankruptcy yet, so although the numbers may be dwindling, the business is still healthy by the look of it.
    F1 may be contracting to follow economic reality, less paying followers, less income, but also less money to redistribute to go with budget cap.
    Coronavirus has distorted the situation, and everything will be clearer once it's out of the way, IMO.
    People don't appreciate enough that Liberty has managed to hold this year championship in very adverse conditions, and probably saved F1.

DF1 and TonyL like this.
  6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    They need to remember that this is a *manufacturer's* series.

This is where they develop the tech for your street cars.

Stop micromanaging and let the engineers do the engineering.

Displacement limit. Emissions limits (because efficient IS clean).
    Then let the engineers figure out the rest.

william likes this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Most of the technical rules are proposed, discussed and accepted by the stakeholders, teams and constructors.
    The FIA is often criticised because some don't like the hybrid formula, but it was decided and agreed by the players themselves.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not sure i really care what Liberty Media do, the company is vast and F! is just a division of its global stature. What bothers me is the direction the sport is heading and thats the responsibility of the FIA. The sooner the FIA, LM, F! manufacturers, constructors etc etc accept the fan base is dwindling and becoming unconnected with the sport as entertainment. Yes i watch it but have done for 50 years, but i dont go out of my way on a Sunday afternoon anymore. Refuse to pay per view either.
    I dont think we can blame COVID either, TV rights / viewing far outstrip track attendance imo
    Best
    tony

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Only Todt oversaw the series while it lost at least 250MM viewers. When a ship hits an iceberg that big, you blame the captain, not the cook.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But most of these millions of viewers were only watching because it was free.
    The present figures of paying viewers are a more accurate reflection of the F1 audience.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have stopped attending GP too, but that has more to do with my advancing age than anything.
    Also, the quality of the broadcasting is so good now that I can follow the racing better at home than at the track side.
    I find the quality of racing quite good, and I like the hybrid formula, although I deplore the increasing interference of stewards in the results.
    I think that F1 is still a very healthy sport attracting investors and sponsors.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No, it's because the product they offer is poor. I'm not a footballist but how many viewers did they lose by going behind a paywall?

If F1 offers a good product, people will pay for it.

stavura, jpalmito and TonyL like this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Bang on the money Bas, my sentiments exactly.

I dont like the hybrid era one bit and its a PR disaster from the outset.

Personally i think PPV will be / has been the demise of a lot of sports, COVID has magnified the problem in that a lot of people i know have just given up on football, motor racing etc as they have realized they dont actually miss it and paying for a subscription on a yearly basis is an expense they dont get full value for.

Tony

Bas likes this.
  14. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This isn't hard, William. Free = supported by advertising money. More eyeballs watching your show means advertisers will want to be on your platform. More advertisers on the platform means more advertisers on the sidepods on cars. It means more title sponsors for teams. Paywalling the show means advertising money dries up...which it has been doing since they moved to paywalling most of the races.

Do you know how many teams have title sponsors now? ZERO. I don't count teams with unicorn deals with their parents companies. These teams are Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault, Haas, and Racing Point. The rest of the teams are sucking wind financially.

Of the best known teams, Toyota, Honda, McLaren, and Williams could not find title sponsors at all. If the FIA was paying attention, they would have seen this as a disaster in the making many years ago.

Oh yeah, F1 lost its last privateer team because they had next to no advertising money to rely upon. Memba that? Do you memba what team that was, William? Do you memba what year that was, William?

stavura, TonyL and Bas like this.
  15. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You know your product sucks when people don't even watch it when it is free.

stavura, TonyL and Bas like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Truth and we are at the mercy of the group and system in place

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm with Seb on this one: "bring back the fooking V12s!"

stavura, fil and jpalmito like this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

True but that is a large loss. What amount began to pay out of that number??

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If F1 has less followers, it will shrink. Teams will receive less money, and adopt a cheaper formula.
    I am a great believer in market forces.
    On this forum, people blame the hybrid formula for the "decline" of F1 because Ferrari doesn't win as often as they would like.
    Replace Mercedes with Ferrari, and Hamilton for Vettel for the last 7 years, and everybody would be happy I guess.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Back in the Schumacher era, Ferrari was spending north of $300M--so I don't see the current near $400M as much more than inflationary upward drift.

I certainly agree that the hybrids have done nothing to lower team spending.
    Nor have the Y-number-of-races-on-component-Y done anything to reduce costs--quite the opposite.

william likes this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What configuration of tits ?

But think about it, the crowd burns more fuel getting to and from a single event than the F1 series burns in a whole year. {Covid excludid}
    Thus, there is no utility in any of this green stuff in racing.

22. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They've used the classic Claymore approach: "Front Toward Enemy"

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, but everything is blamed on the hybrid formula the tifosi don't like, plus the FIA for accepting it .

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not quite--the Pirelli tires are still crap and have nothing to do with hybrid regulation.

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Could Red Bull really take on Honda’s engines in 2022?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Team principal Christian Horner repeatedly said on Friday when asked about Red Bull’s next step that it had to “consider all options”, but was clear that it could not simply function as a “standard customer team”.

“The team’s aspirations are extremely high: it wants to win, it wants to compete and win world championships,” Horner said.

“We need to take the time to do our due diligence on the options that are available to us in order to finalise our thinking, certainly by the end of the season, and most definitely before the end of the year.

“We’ve got to consider all the options, and then make decisions following that.”

Asked directly how practical a continuation of Honda’s engine project by Red Bull could be, Horner moved to highlight the huge expense of the current power unit regulations in F1.

“When you look at the costs involved in the engine supply, they are enormous, and that is why Formula 1 has failed in its attempt to attract new engine suppliers and new manufacturers into the sport,” Horner said.

“It brings into real focus those costs, those cost drivers through the regulations. Honda’s withdrawal is a real shame for Formula 1, but also a real wake-up call.”

“We see in this sport that sometimes the unexplainable can happen, and it’s our duty to look at what is the most competitive way forward in 2022,” Horner said.

“We have the time, Honda have afforded us that time. If they had made that decision in the spring of next year or in the autumn of next year, it would have been a far worse scenario for us.

"We’re only just halfway through the relationship with Honda, and we’ve achieved a lot in the time that we’ve been together. We aim to achieve a lot more in the remaining time that we have together, and obviously there’s the bigger questions that need to be answered between now and the end of the year.”

Throughout all of Horner’s messaging about Red Bull’s future plans, though, were concerns about where F1 is at right now with its engine formula, and whether it needs to hasten plans to try and bring costs down and make it more appealing to new manufacturers.

“I think that we really need to consider, is 2026 too far away for the introduction of a new engine?” Horner mused. “What will that technology be? What should it be?

“They are questions that are going to need to be answered quickly in order to give a road map to what the future of the sport is.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-honda-engines-2022/4888860/

375+ likes this.