Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't follow these sports, so I won't make a comment.

But I know that several circuits in UK are under threat of closure following legal actions by the locals because of the noise.

In these conditions, it would be pointless to ignore the issue and aggravate it.

Noise if a by-product of motor racing, not the essential part, IMO.

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

You've got to love the brain power of some people.
    Let's buy a house near a race circuit or airport and then complain about the noise

:D

TurboFreak650 and Bas like this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It would be interesting to know what came first; the housing or the track?

The fact is that track use may have increased over the years with more frequent racing, so what was bearable before isn't anymore.

It's not a new issue, and there are solutions to the problem too.

In the 20s, the Brooklands track, built in the middle of nowhere at the time, came under attack from the few house owners nearby because of the noise.

The BARC came with the solution, banned night driving and imposesd silencers to all cars competing there, so racing could resume.

Noise abatement doesn't only concern motor racing: the locals have managed to ban powerboats on Lake Windermere.

If I had the power, I would like to ban leaves blowers!

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #254 jgonzalesm6, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Redbull will take over the Honda PU IF AND ONLY IF F1 puts a freeze in 2021 going into 2022.

Otherwise, Renault will supply RBR.

Flavio_C likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As Jenks used to say there is a difference between sound and noise: a V10 or V12 F1 engine produces a spine tingling sound; a F1 Hybrid just makes noise.

TurboFreak650, stavura, Bas and 3 others like this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Coming up next-->locals will build a subdivision next to a NHRA drag strip and complain that the sport is too loud....please.:rolleyes:

stavura, Flavio_C, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

All these NIMBY people must be rejoicing now that Covid has put paid to most flights and motor racing.

They can now crank up their TV volume instead in order drown out the sound of their neighbours arguing

:D

stavura, Bas and DF1 like this.
  8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    HI! I HAS STUFF TO SELL YOU TO SAVE THE PLANET. IT WILL DIE WITHOUT HUMANS TO SAVE IT!

The greenest cars continue to be small displacement turbo diesels. Kind of ironic actually. Some of them get 80mpg! Not even sold here in the US.

I do have a laugh at all the virtue signaling custom plate Tesla’s plugged into our fossil fuel grid here in PA. I will miss it when people wake up and realize they’ve been had.

Buying “green” cars in the US is mainly driven by trendy consumerism. It’s like a cheesy puppet show.

stavura, SimCity3, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My dude. That is like saying there is no point to building mechanical watches because digital. I believe you are wrong sir.

Also mobs of people are often tremendous a-holes, so best to do the opposite of what they are shouting about.

stavura, kes7u and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The fact of the matter is people buy homes near race tracks, airports, bars and the like because it's cheap. Then they start complaining. They shouldn't have a leg to stand on. They know the airport, race track, bars are there. You don't enter a boxing ring and complain you get punched.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am not debating what's right or wrong, just pointing out that it happens increasingly.
    Public opinion is largely on the side of noise abatement.
    The courts very often come in favour of campaigners in the case of nuisance and impose restrictions.
    Ignoring it and wanting to be "in your face" don't work anymore.

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The UK judicial system has been due an overhaul for many years.

Bas likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You seem to have a problem dealing with reality. :rolleyes:

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What you call reality I call insanity.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You call it what you want; it's the world we are living.

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Lol... :D

17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Or actual experience of certain areas

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Let's step away from the nitpicking . . . . I would love it if Red Bull takes over the Honda project.

Think about it: It would give Honda a window for a return if things go well. Like I said before, at Honda there are greenies and racers deeply imbedded in the Honda hierarchy. They go back and forth in a bit of power struggle. They just need to be convinced that both goals can be enhanced by racing.

They could come back as Acura.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Choosing the side of morons is insanity to me, and a slippery slope.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am a pragmatist; I don't take side.

21. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Maybe Ferrari should buy the Honda F1 engine IP and supply them to Red Bull. At the same time, they can maybe learn from the IP how to improve their own lump.

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Steiner is correct!

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner says Formula 1 is “very good at forgetting very quick”, but Honda reminded the sport of its flaws.

That main flaw for Steiner revolves around the complexity of the technology in Formula 1, and the fact that Honda will be able to walk away from the sport clean at the end of 2021.

Arguably Formula 1 has never faced a challenge like the COVID-19 pandemic, but Steiner thinks the next big change ahead for the sport is to stop falling into the trap of thinking everything is back to normal too quickly.

Honda announcing that they would leave Formula 1 at the end of 2021 was the perfect reminder.

“Instead of just trying to always get the last bit out of technology and everything, we should also make sure that we have got a sustainable business and not only a sustainable technology,” Steiner is quoted by GPFans.

“Why would you run a normal business with this big risk that somebody can just get out of a contract without doing anything?

“I think we need always to be aware of that and I think we have got a lot more aware of it, but we are very good in forgetting very quick, because all of a sudden, everything is good again.

“We are back racing, okey dokey, let’s go racing, everything will be like it was before. Not always, that will not happen.”

Get your hands on the official Haas 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store

Currently Honda are the only engine manufacturer to have pulled out, leaving Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault for 2022 and beyond.

But Steiner wouldn’t be surprised to see others follow Honda out of the door, comparing the present time to the global financial crisis which caused Honda to exit the sport at the end of the 2008 season.

“I think we need to be aware that this happens any day with anybody,” he explained.

“You need to think back, I don’t know if it was 2008, 2009 when three manufacturers pulled out. From one day to the other, Formula 1 was a different world.

“We don’t have to forget what happened this March. A pandemic came along and all of a sudden, we were in a bad spot, all of us.

“But we keep on forgetting that this thing can happen in Formula 1. This is not an essential business.

“Each company can decide to pull out any day. As much as we’re surprised, we shouldn’t be surprised because again, this can happen tomorrow.”

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Lol...these days, humans are getting more stupid and fussy along the way. Every damn thing, there's always a certain quarter have to complain about something.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Renault added to the comparison: they’ve been behind Merc and Ferrari from 2014 to 2019, and Honda surpassed them at the end of 2019.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

How competitive was HONDA Power Unit in the first years?

This slide (by Yasuaki Asaki, PU development director) shows it!

-They had less power in '15 than Ferrari in '14
    -Ferrari surpassed Mercedes in 2018
    -HONDA got WORSE at the start of '17 but improved steadily after leaving Mclaren

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  25. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The current cars sound like large appliances.