HomeLink | FerrariChat

HomeLink

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Dec 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    HomeLink works great in my 2012 California ... now that I found instructions on a couple other websites, along with actually trusting the instructions. So, for those that get a new Cali with HomeLink (and you don't get instructions with the car) here you go.

First, it worked quickly and very easily with my 16 year old garage door. It took a few extra steps on my 2 year old garage doors which I falsely interpreted as a problem.

1. (Optional) Press two outside buttons on it and hold to clear the device on the car mirror, until the light blinks rapidly.j You can always clear a single mirror button by holding it about 30 seconds until it starts to blink rapidly if it had been programmed before.

Now the old garage door:
    1. Press and hold a button on the mirror until the green light blinks slowly
    2. Press and hold your garage door button on the remote until the green light on the mirror blinks fast
    3. Let go of both buttons

Try it, it should work just fine.

I expected that to work for a new garage door but there is an extra step you probably will have to do.
    1. Press and hold a button on the mirror until the green light on the mirror blinks slowly
    2. Press and hold your garage door button on the remote until the green light on the mirror blinks fast then let go of both buttons (you MAY have to press the garage door button a couple times according to the manufacturer)
    3. Try the mirror button, if it doesn't work (as mine did not work) do the next instructions
    4. Press the LEARN button momentairly on your garage door opener mounted in the ceiling of your garage
    5. Within 30 seconds get in your car and press the appropriate button on your mirror that you just programmed, look for the light on the garage door opener in your garage ceiling to blink.
    6. Try your mirror button now ... like magic it works.

Hopefully this helps someone. Now I can do the same thing with my CL550.

Rick

jc1 and Atami like this.
  2. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Thanks for the info

Happy New Years!

3. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Thanks Rick, I have owned my Cali for almost two years and never set the damn thing. Going to do it this weekend.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Anyone know if/how easily Homelink can be retrofitted to a car that did not come with that option?

5. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would think that it is possible, but I don't know for sure. The entire unit is in the rear view mirror. As long as your current review mirror has power I would think that you could just swap them out.

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Rick,

Thank you so much for posting the detailed instructions. My wife and I had struggled to program our 612's Homelink for two days. We had tried both methods, but not in rapid succession. Your suggestion worked perfectly! BTW, our garage openers are about 5 years old. Appreciate your efforts and willingness to share your time!

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #7 Need4Spd, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks. That makes sense to me. All you need is a switched power source in the windshield header. I'll ask dealer about it. Shouldn't be that hard to run a wire up there; it might already exist. Regular mirrors are just mechanical flip type with no power, however.

Might be cheaper to get a stereo installer to do the wiring and order part from Ricambi America, which shows the part as INNER REAR VIEW MIRROR -Electrochromic rear view mirrors- -Home Link- $ 2,074.65, p/n 82131600. Anybody know what the price is for the Homelink option?

And thanks, Rick for posting how to program the Homelink once I ever get one.

8. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I think all Californias have an electrochromic rearview mirror (an oval button under the middle of the mirror), which means there's power up there already. Installing a homelink is a great idea. And while I'm at it, will also make a hardwire cable for my V1 and power it from the mirror as well, like I do with most of my cars (beats the hell out of a corded cable from the cigarrete lighter, plus no messing with the A-pillars to run power. Detectors draw very little power.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It must be pre-wired. I got the dealer to get me a mirror with Homelink, and they installed it in just a few minutes. But I can assure you that not "all" Californias have electrochromatic mirrors, as mine was the simple flip up for night/flip down for day type.

So, if your car doesn't have Homelink, you can get the replacement electrochromatic mirror with Homelink (the dealer charged me "only" just under $1700, which is a lot of course but less than the price above; if you are ordering a new car and want this option, be sure to say so, because the option is something like $700, less than half the price of doing this the hard way like I did). If you are handy with car repairs (or even if you're not) it should be an easy swap. The dealer charge for labor was $33, less than the sales tax on the part!

Overall, it was a very pricey upgrade, but for me, better than juggling three remotes, and now the mirror darkens automatically.

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    A google search got me here as I was going crazy looking through the car manual for how to operate the homelink.

I just picked up my 2010 cali this afternoon and I went over most everything with the dealer, except of course the homelink (I was happy to know the car had this option) plus I was anxious to leave anyway. Now at home I am going through the manual even looking in the infotainment book, incredulously believing there must be something I'm missing.

So this thread is a sanity & time saver, thanks a million!

Al

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I know I could not get mine to work by reading the california manual so I looked up the manual on my wifes car(LEXUS) and after 6 months of owning followed those instructions and 5 minutes later it was working . One thing I will have to say is the Ferrari manual could use a little translation help.
    LarryH

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    BTW, I had my dealer install the mirror (for $33) because if installed by them, the part is covered by a 2 year factory warranty. Not so for DIY.

13. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    If you install the part yourself the mirror itself is still covered by a manufacturing warranty

By having the dealer install it it adds warranty coverage for installation problems

It's unlikely the person selling the mirror understands the difference between express or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for purpose

But for $33 I'm sure it's an additional insurance policy well spent to stop a dealer from trying to wiggle out of their responsibilities if there were to be a problem in the future

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Exactly.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    $33.00 ? I can't remember when my dealer charged me this little. Oh wait yes I remember now. 4 small washers which cost $11.95 each. I dared to suggest that they were wrong and the washer were 19 cents each or maybe 95 cents or if they were made out of unobtanium $1.95. No each small thin washer made out of tin was over 10 bucks each!

$33.00 I would have then install 2 mirrors for that price!

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I can't get mine to work after numerous attempts... ugh

I can't get to a rapid blink on my mirror, feels like I'm holding the button(s) down forever. I wonder if something is wrong w/ the mirror since it had been altered with a laser etch?

Do I need to perform the handheld remote step in addition to /prior to the garage learn button step regardless that my garage unit is new (w/in 2 yrs) every time I try to clear the mirror?

I'm going to see if homelink web site has anything..

Thanks in advance

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The best advice I could say is to us the owners manual instructions on home link for another car any non Italian car follow those instructions it should work. I tried mine many times using ferrari or my Maseratis instruction and could not get it to work so I used my lexus instructions and got it working in less than 10 minutes . you likely have the rolling code door opener i.e. one with a learn button . YOu do not need the standard remote for that . try it I think you will find it to work for you.

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ok, I'm not sure what I did wrong earlier but here is what I did just now.

1) I cleared the mirror (again). Held the 2 outer buttons ~ 30 seconds & I got the fast blinking light.
    2) Next I held my remote button up to the mirror & pressed both the remote button & button on the mirror until I got a slow blink then fast blink & I let go.
    3) Then I tested to see if it worked. I pressed mirror button for 2 seconds & noticed a blinking light & it did not operate the garage.
    4) Then I pressed the learn button at the garage door control panel & quickly pressed the mirror button for 2 seconds only, twice, after which the garage door worked. (homelink says it could take 3 tries)

Maybe I held the mirror button too long on my first attempts rather than quick successions.

LarryH thanks for the reply...

19. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    In 2008, for a 599, Homelink cost $979 as an option according to Motor Trend.

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    dont think Ferrari ever wrote a invoice for service for $33.00

21. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    I give up. I get the fast blinking light when I clear the codes.
    No matter what method I use, I cannot get a fast blinking light while pressing
    the Autolink button with or without the controller next to the Autolink module
    on the mirror. The light just keeps blinking slow and then times out. Must have tried
    it 10-15 times with the EXACT results time after time.
    Suggestions?
    I have tried ALL methods discussed in this thread to no avail.
    The car is a 2013 California.
    Thanks

22. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I had something similar happen on my Merc SL...turned out the homelink system was bad and had to be replaced. It was $1200 on my Merc. It also could be the remote is not compatible with the system. Sorry to hear for your troubles...all you want it to do is work

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Most likely a bad module.

24. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had the same problem when I replaced my garage openers with new Chamberlain openers. I could not get my wife's 09' GL550, 13' Bentley CGT or my new 14' 458 to program so contacted homelink who said I need a "homelink Repeater" which my garage door installer gave me for free. I understand even chamberlain or homelink will send it to you at no charge.

Anyway, program the homelink button inside the car using the repeater handheld remote then plug in the receiver (I used the ceiling socket so no one can unplug it accidentally) and then press the orange learn button on the opener unit then the homelink button inside the car has to be pressed in 30 seconds. Viola!

Apparently, homelink states that car manufacturers have not installed the updated homelink units in the cars and newer garage openers need the updated ones to work correctly. Homelink also said , only one unit is needed even if there are 3 garage openers.

Instructions are on the homelink website.

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #25 4th_gear, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The attached scan shows the instructions that came in a dedicated HomeLink Instructions manual for my Canadian '13 Cali30. FWIW, I was able to set up the unit using the remote opener in the manner as described in these instructions.

I did not have to disconnect the motor for the garage door opener (as recommended in the instructions) as I got it done on my first attempt. If you have to continually press the remote control to set HomeLink you may want to avoid triggering the motor so many times.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login