Holy Crap! Look what happened to TRX prices | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Holy Crap! Look what happened to TRX prices

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Feb 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    15" rims were stock on the 365 GT4 2+2.

I still have to get TRXs for the Mondial...

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Also factory on all series one 400i's

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    dave,
    are you sure about that ? i've heard differently. actually, it was Tim in Florida (remember you encouraged me to call him) who most recently told me that the 15" stopped with the 400 and that all 400i's had the metric 415. IMO, the 415's look better than the 15's i have on my 400 becase they are bigger, but the associated tire issue is a drawback.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm 100% positive.
    Check the owner's manual for a 1980 400i and you'll see 15" wheels and tires listed as standard.

Remember I owned a series one 400i.

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    what you doing up so early ? i guess Tim was wrong. thanks.

6. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Dave:

Like everything else in the world of Ferrari you are both right. Many late(r) 400i Series Is did get the TRX wheels and tires. Some did not. Just depeneded on what was on the shelf that day. Another good example: have you ever noticed that early Testarossa's could have black, gray, or tan carpeting in the front trunk but that the front trunk carpeting bears absolutely NO relation to the interior color? This is true - i have seen black interiors with tan carpet in the trunk and tank interiors with black carpet in the trunk. My TR (#65247) has tan interior and gray carpeting in the trunk - go figure. Oh, and my gt4 (#10704) has dark red leather, and flaming bright red carpets - both original. Don't match - Ferrari didn't care back then. Dave, not trying to be divisive - I have just noticed that there are NO absolutes when dealing with Ferrari.

Your friend,

A

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know you're not Alex, we get along way too well for that.

At least give me my moment of glory! (thats was sarcasm is case it didn't come through)

You are of course correct about "what ever was on the shelf that day". You and I have talked about the series 1 grille/foglight combos out there.
    Ferrari says that on series 1 400i's a 15" wheel is factory correct and the standard. The TRX wasn't shown in manuals, literature, etc until series 2 cars.

8. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Sorry to rain on your parade. :)

FWIW, you ARE 100% correct that all the manuals and literature show the 15" wheels.

A

9. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks, & OK, and if this is in reference to the Testarossa sizes, then they saw a market in the advanced Z rated 245 size, (because of the BMWs) but didn't anticipate much interest in the 285 for the rears?

If that is the case, wonder what would be the effect of having a set of 4 of the Z rated on all four - as I thought the wheels were all the same on these cars?

10. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    ....Cruise to your favo restaurant with you better half after a medallion aux roquefort over gruyere cheese with gratin pommes de terre and a chautaux d'emillion vin rouge followed by a cappucino....
    ...than that the lovley weekend in the countyside with the 400i...
    ...go to that fantastic concours d'elecance on the green..
    ...drive to a local meet with some Ferra guys....
    ...yes i need this rubbers....no question!!

Tutto bene!

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    a great perspective that is very timely for me. however, now that the 400i is here i have actually really fallen for the 415 rim. it is a much, much nicer rim than the 15" and it's size compliments the the car better, IMO. Dave, i have a feeling you'll think your car looks a little 'undertired' after you do the switch if you're use to looking at the 415...or have you done it already ? don't get me wrong, i hope you're happy with the 15".
    my plan at this point is to keep my '78 400a (for a whole bunch of personal reasons) and sell the 400i after it is completed. i would happily keep the 415's for myself and put the 15" i have now on the 400i if that helped the sale. i would love to see these 415's on my 400a.
    again, Fritz makes a great point. all the 415's are going cost you every 25,000 miles (5 years) is $1000 more than any other decent tires you'd be buying anyway. big deal, in the 400 world, that ain't much !

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Dave and Alex

I just received an original series 1 brochure that I won on eBay. Although the pictures seem to show the 15" wheels, the text specifies the TRX 415 wheels! So, Dave was wrong, and Alex was wrong for agreeing with Dave.

Aidan
    PS It also says the car has central locking, which is also untrue.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Aidan,
    Go mow the grass or something around your new house and quit raining on our parade.

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    rightonski brettski, hmph.