Holy Crap! Danica's Daytona Initiation | FerrariChat

Holy Crap! Danica's Daytona Initiation

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Jim you of all people should understand that motor racing is more about ones profile and ability to garner sponsors rather than your performance on the track. It is a sad but true fact about the sport that we love.

That said Danica is a good solid professional and not a hack. She is no superstar, and yes her gender has afforded her certain luxuries but it is no different than the average rich kid who goes racing and runs mid pack which racing is full of. I think Danica is better than that but not a seasoned champion of which there are very few.

Regarding the wreck she got clipped and at 200mph you are then a passenger. Let's save blame for a legitimate episode.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Big crashes, sexy commercials and bikini shoots. The absolutely perfect spokesmodel for the post CART US open wheel world, and now NASCAR.

Too bad Eddie Gaedel is no longer with us.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rob

I think if she was a hag she'd be driving a taxi. I understand why she has a ride but her driving doesn't impress me any more than buy a ride mid packer's driving does.

Let's cut to the chase. You think she'll ever win a NASCAR race?

Cheers

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#7 ferraripete, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Jim you are correct. you did however forget to mention that she has full hendrick horsepower on her side as well. despite her being a hack, she brings the money and political backing of the france crime family. she will win races...the family will see to it!!!

it has always made me sad to see deserving and talented drivers being displaced or never getting a shot due to situations like danica represents.

but...that is life in racing and certainly on the big oval.

pcb

8. ferraripete

"she is no superstar"

well actually...she is currently the biggest nascar superstar next to dale (rip) and dale junior.

9. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Yup!! If she was a man, buying the team would be the only way to put her where she is now.
    Besides, it's NASCAR...

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Racing is FULL of the 'if-then' mentallity as it makes people feel better about their own shortcomings (just a fact and not directed to anyone in particular) Go to the track and everyone will tell you about how he is only there because his daddy is rich, or he got the prime ride because the team needed an oil sponsor and his family owns something in Dubai. In Danica's case her special gift is a marketability (her looks) that are every bit a geniological fluke as being born into a wealthy family.

Just about every driver (including some very good ones) are tied to some sort of life line that if it were cut then their racing carrer ends instantly. To Danica's credit, she is at least good enough, balanced with this marketable talent that her value goes beyond the whims of just one team. There are any one of a number of teams who would be happy to employ her AND pay her to do so. In racing that is saying something and she is likely the first woman to ever be in those shoes.

Jim to answer your question I think that Danica can win a race despite the cries of 'lucky' and 'fluke' I can already see coming. The reason is the following:

- She is good enough to do it from time to time but not likely to mount a championship challenge
    - Her profile and value to sponsors will ensure that she has the tools to get the job done
    - Lots of mid-pack racers win in NASCAR

She might not impress all but, given the rules of the racing game, she is playing fair and square and has earned her place at the sandbox.

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We shall see but personally I think she'll be wearing a see through driving suit long before she never wins a race.

12. NWaterfall

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Some people earn their way in racing through hard work and born talent. In my opinion she "earned" her spot through high heels and born beauty.... I do not consider her a true racer.

13. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Jim, I agree 100%. She has never shown a great deal of talent , and frankley I don't think she's even very good looking. Always looks pissed.

14. ferraripete

i would say she is a true racer and has in fact paid some dues as she has come up through the ranks. but...she is not now nor ever been a true winner.

nascar will help her to victory lane as it would be just what they need from an optics standpoint but it will always be questioned as a true win and i suspect rightly so.

can you tell i am not a fan?

pcb

15. ferraripete

ron's op sure did show a big hit though! i think the 500 will be full of events where the carnage will be similar!

i wonder if danica is still a bit mentally shaken up after that one? even the initiated get rattled at times.

pcb

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Nonsense. I have been around racing for a very long time; talent and hard work will only get you so far. Depending on where you want to end up it takes anywhere from a few hundred thousand dollars to many millions of personal expense before ANYONE will write you a paycheque to go racing. That seed money has to come from somewhere and the amounts are so huge that it goes beyond sheer will and graft to move forwards. ALL drivers need a helping hand and I have never seen a driver make it who did not have some sort of help that went beyond what they could control.

It is this 'help' that is the source of a lot of envy and resentment among those who don't have the same opportunity.

Anyone who proclaims that progression in motor racing is primarilly merit based KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT RACING.

17. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Jim is spot on. If her name was Daniel Patrick she'd be working a Bondurant driving school.

I remember watching her at the 2007 Sebring test in the Andretti Acura P2 where she was way off the pace of Dario and Bryan Herta. Needless to say she didn't get the 3rd seat for the race. Nevertheless, with the money she brings to the table there are very few rides anywhere in the world she couldn't secure. I wish she were my client.

18. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'd say it boosted her confidence as to the safety of the cars and she won't give it a second thought.

19. ferraripete

oh yes you are correct. and add to that: best car wins!

btw, i have been involved in racing for ages too (2 and 4 wheel) and have and remained as envious and frustrated as most :)

pcb

20. NWaterfall

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    I'm not disputing that. I am just looking at the hard work a different way. Drivers can't make it entirely on their own. At the far end, look at Schumi. Schumi had no money coming in to racing. His family worked their hearts out to get him going. After he earned his spot in the lower levels Mercedes bought his seat for him, but that was because of his hard work and talent, in my opinion.

Yes it does take a lot of sponsorship dollars to make it as a "pay driver." But I argue that some drivers still earn their sponsorship dollars through racing while others from stripping. Would I strip to race, definitely! I hold no ill-will or such toward her or any other government funds backed no talent seat buyer, but I do not consider them true racers and will forever doubt their talents.

21. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    So why hasn't Milka Duno ever been in the Daytona 500? :)

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Just some stats to put things into perspective:

1. Willi Webber was a rich guy who took a liking to MS when he was 10 years old and bankrolled his racing up to Formula 3. His family was broke and could not pay any more. At the age of 10 MS showed no talent that was indicative of what was to come. His funding was little more than charity.

2. The head of the Mercedes program did not scout talent but just plucked the top 3 guys from the German F3 championship because he was told that F3 is a good place to get a future F1 driver and they had 3 spots to fill. MS had finished 3rd in that years championship by points scored in the final race based on the unlikely DNF of another driver. Imagine if that driver had finished and MS would have been 4th. At that stage Weber was out of cash and the world would not have heard of MS. Moreover the Mercedes program was a dream come true for German drivers and showed some fantastic timing for MS 1-2 years sooner or later and it was game over.

3. His first F1 ride was paid for by Mercedes in a car that was unusually good for a back of the pack car so he got a fair chance to perform rather than being in a Forti Corse.

No doubt that MS is an amazing racer and has made good on his opportunities. It is also fair to say that there were huge things out of his control that helped him along that goes well beyond talent and effort.

The concept of 'true racer' is very much a personal opinion. My opinion is that if someone is willing to pay you to race rather than you having to bring cash then you are in the smallest of percentages and are indeed a racer.

BTW here is a stat for you. Of the over 400,000 people in the US who participate as drivers in motor racing, less than 200 earn their primary income as racing drivers.

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Because despite her huge wealth, she is a truly terrible racing driver with not an ounce of natural talent.

24. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Really hate to see truly talented drivers left without a seat because of the games that go on in deciding who actually gets to race. Looks like she is in over her head as usual and will suck just like she did in Indy. Whatever....

25. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I guess that means Danica actually has to have talent besides wealth to race in the Daytona 500.