Higher octane fuel | FerrariChat

Higher octane fuel

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by TomAZ, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Moved to the US in 16’ and was staggered to see the low octane levels on the fuel. I’m British and our ‘regular’ gas is 95’ and Premium is 97’. I found a garage in Scottsdale called ‘The Thumb’ which claim to have higher octane fuel. I recently bought an F430 (which I absolutely adore) and just wondered if anyone had experience good or bad with obtaining a high grade fuel in the Scottsdale area?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    gas station at the pavilions has 104 octane i believe

indian bend road.......

TomAZ likes this.
  3. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    To confirm, Europe calculates their octane ratings differently. They're on the RON scale whereas we're on the (R+M)/2.

95 in Europe is 91 in the US.

My recommendation would be to run Shell 91 octane and mix a small bottle of Lucas fuel treatment in each tank. This will keep things clean and lubed up and also has the added benefit of bumping the octane up a bit. I've used it for years in my modified cars here in the desert. My F10 M5 made around 650whp and when the weather got hot, I could definitely feel it pulling timing to avoid knock, but with the Lucas in each tank, that issue stopped. Also, I've noticed that I have little to no oil consumption in my vehicles which is typically a common issue with BMW motors. My E92 M3 and my M5 both made it through full OCI's without needing to be topped off. My current daily is a 750hp Mustang GT, which is also a platform known for oil consumption and I do not go through any.

You can buy the larger bottles that look like this: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2700/0908/products/10003_FuelTreatment_800x950_e3fa6bf3-c08d-4e4e-a0f3-a648ce5841c8_1024x1024.jpg?v=1525532903

And then get a few of the smaller bottles that look like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41c2jviK%2BzL._SX425_.jpg

Snag them at Walmart. Refill the small bottles from the big and carry them in your car for refills.

All that said, while Thumb has 95 and I believe 100 out of the pump, I believe I've read here or there that the additive package they use is unknown, and while the octane is high, the cleaning properties of their fuel might not be on the level of Shell or Chevron. There's also gas stations down near Wild Horse Pass that have higher octane fuel. Truthfully, I do not believe your F430 will benefit any more from spending $7+ per gallon on high octane fuel than it would with mixing the Lucas in with a tank of Shell 91 octane.

-James

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Thanks very much for the detailed response. That’s really useful. Can the Lucas be added after filling up or does it need to be before?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Absolutely, happy to share. I almost always add it at the pump before filling up. On the rare occasions I don't have it with me, I'll add it at home if the car won't be used for a bit (10-12 hours). I run it in every 3rd or 4th tank in my wife's vehicle. Since I'm rarely with her when she gets gas, I just add it when she gets home from work. Been doing that for years with no issues.

-James

6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Loves gas station E of I-10 & Wild horse pass has 110 leaded race fuel and 100 unleaded at the pump

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You can get 100LL at virtually any GA airport. Just call the FBO on the field and ask about it. Right now, it runs about $3.50-$5 a gallon but it's the real deal. Some cars, especially newer ones, will choke on leaded gas. Be sure your car can take it before adding it to the tank.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Thumb is a great place. Not only do they offer racing fuel at prices that rival what Premium costs in Los Angeles but they have free air for your tires, and tasty, nostalgic dining inside

9. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Thanks for all your replies.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Welcome to the neighborhood!

TomAZ likes this.
  11. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Also the Sinclair off Lincoln and Sctoosdlae In PV has 100 for around $9-10 a gallon. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Av gas is bad for automotive rings and fuel system. Dries things out and makes fuel lines and seals brittle. Also the lead will foul.the 02 plugs.

JimEakin likes this.